U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM

1,149 posts, read 944,262 times
Default Reasonably priced eyeglasses

I bought myself some Burberry frames off of ebay for $85 (new, verified genuine). Now I have to get lenses for them. What's the best B&M option for eyeglasses?

I'm a college student still under my parents' (divorced) insurance. Mom has been stricken with an ever less curable cancer, so I need to be creative in many aspects of life. Normally, we'd go to Wise Eyes and walk out spending $450+ ($200+ for contacts, $250 for lenses only for older frames). After educating myself...these prices are an inefficient use of my money (aka rip-off).

I've been speaking to my family (excellent asset) about riding with them to either BJ's (grandfather) or Costco (uncle) one day. My current Rx is rather strong (-5.50), so I need to thinner (usually high index) lenses. I could use the local Wal-Mart I suppose...

Does anyone have any experience with any of those three? I just need lenses (probably will spring for transitions as I'm outside frequently). Contacts are $13.88/box ($55.52 for a 6 month supply), which I'll get as well.

Any thoughts? Which would be the better bet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:45 PM

20,293 posts, read 15,482,258 times
If you already have frames, this is the cheapest place I know of:

Eyeglasses & Contact Lenses | America's Best Contacts & Eyeglasses

Check to see if they have one near you. I don't know anything about the three you mentioned though.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:30 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,481,138 times
I wonder if you could order glasses in the same size/shape from coastalcontacts. com and have someone switch them to the better frame? I bought a couple pair when they were running a sale and got 2 prs for something crazy like $25. The frames were total crap, but the lenses were OK.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:53 AM

20,293 posts, read 15,482,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
I wonder if you could order glasses in the same size/shape from coastalcontacts. com and have someone switch them to the better frame? I bought a couple pair when they were running a sale and got 2 prs for something crazy like $25. The frames were total crap, but the lenses were OK.
The problem is that the machine needs the frames to cut the lenses into shape. All the lenses are prefabricated. To cut them to shape, you literally place the frame in the machine, and press go.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:02 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,646,058 times
We used Walmart last year, without complaints. They were cheap, but they work. After about 9 months, my dh sat on his frames, destroying them. When she heard Walmart was going to replace them for free, my dd admitted she'd done the same thing. Walmart replaced both pairs for free - without insurance, it doesn't get better than that.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:55 AM

867 posts, read 1,117,691 times
There has been a thread on ordering eyeglasses online. I've been happy with the $12 eyeglasses I ordered online from Zenni Optical.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,980,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We used Walmart last year, without complaints. They were cheap, but they work. After about 9 months, my dh sat on his frames, destroying them. When she heard Walmart was going to replace them for free, my dd admitted she'd done the same thing. Walmart replaced both pairs for free - without insurance, it doesn't get better than that.
If you don't mind my asking, what did they charge for the exam & glasses? I wear contacts, but need a pair of glasses for times I want to read in bed and things like that and my old pair finally broke after 15 years.

We live in a pretty rural area so Walmart is pretty much the only option.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 AM

11,494 posts, read 26,014,449 times
zenni is supposed to be good. The exams at walmart are about $60, and the frames are relatively inexpensive, but they snag you on the lenses.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM

5,818 posts, read 5,980,318 times
If you get the exam at Walmart will they let you walk out with the perscription so you can get the glasses online?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM

10,912 posts, read 17,983,114 times
I had good luck w 39dollar (online) I tried Zenni with poor success.

I wish I could find a shop to FIT them. (VERY important role) I will probably use Costco next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living