U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 02:13 AM

7,617 posts, read 10,661,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But you can't use the back button to get out. You have to open the page in a new window, or else you're trapped in there, and have to back out one page at a time. And in this case, each time you get to a new page, you then have to manually scroll down the page to see its relevant contents. And at no point can you ever find a one-screen overview of the "list" that you went there to see. The whole purpose of the "list" function is to present a concise and optically scannable overview, which these editorial bastards steadfastly refuse to present. Mainly because they know their list is a lot of BS in the first place, suitable only for inane forums, with the certainty that somebody will post a link to it in a forum somewhere and draw a lot of gullible suckers to their meaningless website that purports to present usable information..

And worst of all, is that when you get there, is it some lame list that could be made by a couple of potheads on their break, enhanced with some lame clip art, with virtually no cited data to support their conclusions. On a page that is laid out (intentionally) so that the next page button can only be found after your eye travels over all the ads and promotions that are the real purpose of presenting the stupid list in the first place.

And I just typed this whole post in less time than it took me to view the "list" in the first place. Buit probably in more time than the editors spent researching the list.
I rarely read the linked articles for this very reason.... BUT -- I discovered (and I'm the IT person in our home business ) that my back button has a history list of recently visited pages, and by pulling that up I can go back to where ever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM

4,674 posts, read 8,655,320 times
I live in hurricane bait territory in a tree-filled yard, and can say that our chainsaw has paid for itself many times over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living