Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 05:15 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

Price of soda has definitely gone up. Not that I care... I would just eat less if things are going to be more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:45 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Noticed that the cost of potato chips--medium bags, not the huge ones--are now $4.49 at my grocery store. That seems excessive. Weren't they under $2.00 last year? Glad I don't eat them...

Old 09-10-2011, 08:50 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,665,237 times
An addendum to above..what still seems reasonable are beans, rice, canned salmon and in-season fruits and vegetables. Out of season? Forget about it.

Read an article the other day that said due to fires, drought, floods, etc., that anything made from wheat or corn is set to go up in price--and that includes anything with high fructose corn syrup--which is almost everything...and since milk cows and beef cows eat corn, as do chickens--those items will go up in price.

So there you have it, bread, cereal, beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, and just about everything else is going to rise in cost.

Time to go on a rice/beans diet??

Old 09-10-2011, 04:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Rice and canned fish, Dolphin. Healthier in my opinion.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
... anything made from wheat or corn is set to go up in price--and that includes anything with high fructose corn syrup--which is almost everything...and since milk cows and beef cows eat corn, as do chickens--those items will go up in price.

So there you have it, bread, cereal, beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, and just about everything else is going to rise in cost.

Time to go on a rice/beans diet??

My Dw is a produce manager in a grocery store, she was telling me last night about how much prices are falling.

When she was promoted into this position, they were only marketing out-of-state produce and produce imported from over-seas.

For the past year, she has been pushing their bureaucracy to allow local fruits and veggies. It took a year, and many meetings with distributors, but she finally started getting local produce into her store. The prices are much lower, and her department gross sales are way up. Their regional manager came through and told her that with these increased sales, they may stop fighting her as much over getting local produce. Friday one distributor told her that he has local farmers lined up now with more produce to run through her store at even lower prices.

It is possible that if you push for local food in your stores, then you may see prices drop.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
they don't list any prices on this, but I'm assuming the prices are high???
Pop open thw weekly ads.

Old 09-11-2011, 06:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My Dw is a produce manager in a grocery store, she was telling me last night about how much prices are falling.

When she was promoted into this position, they were only marketing out-of-state produce and produce imported from over-seas.

For the past year, she has been pushing their bureaucracy to allow local fruits and veggies. It took a year, and many meetings with distributors, but she finally started getting local produce into her store. The prices are much lower, and her department gross sales are way up. Their regional manager came through and told her that with these increased sales, they may stop fighting her as much over getting local produce. Friday one distributor told her that he has local farmers lined up now with more produce to run through her store at even lower prices.

It is possible that if you push for local food in your stores, then you may see prices drop.
That is great. It doesn't always work that way for some reason in my area. If I go to the Farmer's market....many times they can't beat the sale prices of my local grocery store...but I know it is fresher

Sadly...summer is over and the gardens are gone....time for summer produce prices to skyrocket. C'mon apples

Old 09-11-2011, 07:23 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That is great. It doesn't always work that way for some reason in my area. If I go to the Farmer's market....many times they can't beat the sale prices of my local grocery store...but I know it is fresher
That is how it is here too.

The difference is that some of the farmers do not want to baby-sit a parking lot all day.

One trip into the city, dump off everything on a loading dock and drive home again. Is much less work for them. They sell produce at 'bulk' rate instead of what they charge [for the same produce] at the Farmer's Market.

The standard difference between wholesale and retail.

Also many chains sell produce as a loss leader.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
It's supply and demand out here ..... people are so into the locavore, environmental, and health scenes that they are willing to pay very high prices for such things. Especially the meat! You could buy lobster and king crab for the prices they charge around here for local goat or lamb. I don't even want to tell you how much the tomatoes and honey get ..... though I have to admit that the local honey is much richer in flavor and texture than the supermarket stuff, and is actually worth twice the price. As are the tomatoes.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:50 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Our local supermarket chains actually do sell local produce (and label the origins accordingly). They just don't sell it any less expensively than then stuff they pay to have trucked in from out-of-region, and, I imagine, pocket the profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living