Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:51 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
^^^but thats only 1/2 a gallon right???
I think Aldi over where I am at may have theirs for slightly over $3.
No. A gallon was $1.77. A half gallon was $1.57.

Three weeks ago, milk was $2.29/gallon.

I keep a price book.

For the record, I bought the gallon, and placed two one-quart bottles in my freezer as we use about a quart per week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,111,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
:0 Where I live the average price for milk is $4.25 for 4 liters which is slightly over 1 gallon, bread is $2.50 on sale and the lowest I can get cheddar cheese is $8.00 for 800 grams. I am a coupon user but never are there coupons for these three items....not where I live anyway.

And dairy farmers in most provinces are only allowed to produce a certain amount of milk per year in order to keep the prices higher. Does wonders for the consumer, doesn't it?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,796,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
the bulk of my shopping is done at the beginning of each month as that is when the money is deposited into my acct. so no I don't spent $50-$60 more each week...
I am budgeted $200 a MONTH for ALL my groceries(that includes paper goods, cleaning supplies, everything not edible) but in order to buy everything that is used I end up spending $250 and sometimes more. This is for 2 adults which when broken down comes to $25.00 per person per week. If I happen to run out of something before the end of the month we do without as there is no extra money laying around....rent, utilities, insurance,vehicle maintenance(gas,oil ect.)and groceries all have to come in under $1000 a month...most of the time it does,unless food and gas prices take a jump, which in turn affects the other expenses....
Wow, that 's quite a budget. What is your rent? Do you pay for health insurance?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,796,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
coffee is very seldom sold in 1 lb. containers anymore...unless you fresh grind your own...
neither do the prices go down and stay that way...if there is a price drop it uasually means
the price is do for another increase shortly...at least that is what I have seen more times than not...
can anyone name something where the price has gone down and stayed that way? just wondering
Never in terms of food. There are sales sometimes, but even those are brief and not so good anymore. Fruits and vegetables are incredibly expensive.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,035,280 times
yes, here in Florida some items have increased by 100%
I have taken to stopping in once a week at Save a lot *Which has some items HIGHER than anywhere else* Canned goods, etc are cheaper there as are mot produce items. I am going to a family run produce stand weekly. Many items Especially coffee are way up. I paid $1 box of mac and cheese AKA "Kraft Dinner" which is 79cents cheaper than Publix
I am purchasing more of the B1G1 items and sale items and planning meals based on that
and we both work and make $$$ !!!!!! I am concerned about how people on fixed income or limited means are going to eat.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,298 posts, read 14,118,692 times
Nobody likes giving a lot of business to Walmart, but if you don't have one nearby you're going to pay more for fresh foods, and half again to twice as much for non-perishable foods. Definitely at least twice as much if the other option is a smaller grocery store.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM

973 posts, read 1,701,388 times
Besides food being almost ridiculous in some areas, what I noticed yesterday is that the price of garbage bags have doubled since I last bought them 6 months ago (and probably due to oil prices). But I was like WHAT???

Old 02-14-2012, 04:39 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,668,900 times
Not really., A few things, like milk, are up a lot. Eggs are out of sight. But mostly I just see seasonal variations on things. I don't think my monthly grocery budget is much higher than it was 4 or 5 years ago. The main difference is smaller packages (14 ounce is the standard now) for the same price. Very few of us would be harmed by just eating less, reduce our portion size commensurate with the price increase, and you'll be healthier at the same cost.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:50 PM

362 posts, read 815,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not really., A few things, like milk, are up a lot. Eggs are out of sight. But mostly I just see seasonal variations on things. I don't think my monthly grocery budget is much higher than it was 4 or 5 years ago. The main difference is smaller packages (14 ounce is the standard now) for the same price. Very few of us would be harmed by just eating less, reduce our portion size commensurate with the price increase, and you'll be healthier at the same cost.
So based on this observation, your food prices are going up.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:43 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,668,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troof View Post
So based on this observation, your food prices are going up.
I acknowledged that they have gone up somewhat, but only in proportion to the general trend of inflation. For example, according to a recent post, food prices haven't gone up nearly as much as garbage bags.

My food prices haven't gone WAY up LATELY, which is the premise of the discussion. They've only gone an expected increment over an expected interval of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living