Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM

181 posts, read 355,916 times

Advertisements

We have a tradition of Orlando in the Fall. Well, we're cutting our spending back, but don't want to cut out the yearly trip itself. Looking for theme park alternatives (kids 8,6,1) for us to enjoy. Ideas?

We'd like to do 2 days on less than $250 including food for 4, well 5.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 PM

17,158 posts, read 56,898,950 times
Maybe just go to a public beach? Bring a picnic basket/cooler? Get a motel room that has a kitchenette, to avoid eating out.

I'm not an expert on small kids, but I wonder if the 1-year old is going to get anything out of the trip, besides maybe a sunburn?

If you don't do the Orlando theme parks, not sure there is much point in making the trip, particularly I would expect the kids would want to go to Disney, no need to bring them right up to it but not go in. IMHO anyway.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM

3,259 posts, read 4,980,036 times
I'd try posting this in the Orlando forum. You may get some good ideas from people who live there.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:22 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMor2Day View Post
We have a tradition of Orlando in the Fall. Well, we're cutting our spending back, but don't want to cut out the yearly trip itself. Looking for theme park alternatives (kids 8,6,1) for us to enjoy. Ideas?

We'd like to do 2 days on less than $250 including food for 4, well 5.
How about a trip to Wekiwa Springs State Park? You can take a swim in the clear springs, take short hikes. or rent a canoe for the day and explore the river. Admission is $6/ car.

Wekiwa Springs State Park Nature Adventures: Wekiva River, Orlando, Florida
Welcome to Florida State Parks

Old 09-12-2011, 07:23 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,838,371 times
Check out the Days Inn in Clermont.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:25 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,043,691 times
I agree with M3Mitch.

To most kids, Orlando is not a city, it's Disney. Everywhere they turn, they'll see Disney characters in all shapes and forms, and you'll have to answer the question, "Why are we not going to the park?" a hundred times a day. It would be very difficult to explain to the children that they are going to Disney but not going to Disney.

The title of your post is "A family outing for <$50", but the content of your post states you have $250 for food for two days. It's a bit confusing.

If your food budget for 5 people is $125/day, I think it could be manageable if you plan everything carefully, but if $50 will be taken away from that budget to spend on some sort of entertainment, leaving $75 left for food, I think it would be very difficult or even impossible. In addition, I don't know what you can do in Orlando for $50/day for 5 people.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
How about a trip to Wekiwa Springs State Park? You can take a swim in the clear springs, take short hikes. or rent a canoe for the day and explore the river. Admission is $6/ car.

Wekiwa Springs State Park Nature Adventures: Wekiva River, Orlando, Florida
Welcome to Florida State Parks
Excellent idea. The entrance fee is low, but two canoes rental (there are two adults and 3 children in the family) would take a big chunk out of the OP's budget of $125/day including food.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:57 PM

16,375 posts, read 30,171,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Excellent idea. The entrance fee is low, but two canoes rental (there are two adults and 3 children in the family) would take a big chunk out of the OP's budget of $125/day including food.

And YOUR suggestion is .....

Old 09-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And YOUR suggestion is .....
I guess I didn't make my sentiment clear in the first post. I thought I did.

As I mentioned earlier, most young kids think Orlando is Disney, and if the family took the annual trip to Orlando (or Disney in their minds) every fall, the children will automatically think this fall trip will be the same when the destination is the same. It would be a huge let down to them to learn that they are going to Disney (Orlando) but not going to Disney (the parks).

Maintaining family tradition is good, but destination doesn't make tradition unless the family goes back to the same beach house, mountain log, fishing cabin, etc. year after year, and the place they stay is part of the tradition.

Therefore, to keep the tradition in a difficult time, perhaps it would be better to change the destination to any place where the expense does not exceed the budget. Any place that is not Orlando, that is, since $125/day for food and entertainment for a family of five is difficult enough to achieve in the city of Disney, let alone dealing with the disappointment on the children's faces.

The OP has to change his/her mind about the destination first before any suggestion could be voiced.

(PS: I really like your idea, don't take me wrong, but the OP's budget is the problem, not your great suggestion.)

Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM

181 posts, read 355,916 times
Thank you for your suggestions, especially the spring. We were looking at Blue Springs which has a small 30 min tubing experience for the kids to do. I was hoping someone knew of a $10 ticket half-day sort of thing? But I guess you can bearly get a movie for that price!

My statement on the budget was confusing. At first I was thinking ideally what I'd like to spend just on tickets for a day and then I posted what our maxed out budget is for food & entertainment for the weekend. The $250 is the budget (plus one night hotel at $75).

Now that I think about it, we'd probably get a bigger bang by making the hotel the vacation, whether that's on the beach or a nicer hotel with swimming pool slides and other free stuff to do.

Obviously it occured to us the kids will be dissapointed, but I didn't think about them being confused and not differentiating Orlando from Disney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living