Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 03:45 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,976,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
If I choose to leave the computer off at night (I just don't think it's good for it to run 24/7), then do I have to go through the registration process, etc, evertime I go back on?

Texas User, I agree .....it's a lot of money for something I hardly even use. And I may get Consumer Cellular and get rid of my cel service. CC is only $10 a month and I never use that, either (just like to have it if the car breaks down). My current cel bill is around $40.
You can shut the computer off and will not have to register again when you reboot. The only thing is that you need to make sure the MJ box pops up on your computer when it turns on. If not, you'll have to unplug it from the USB port and then plug it back in. It still takes messages when off.

We just go the MJ about a week ago. After several tweeks, it's OK. The biggest problem we have is hearing the person on the other line. If you turn the volume up on the MJ box on the CPU, it starts to echo and skip. (The volume on the phone does nothing) Therefore, it's best to be in a quiet room when using the phone.

It has voicemail and you can make your own message. The only thing is that it automatically goes to VM after 4 rings. You can't change that either. One neat thing is that all VM's go to you're email and you can listen from there. It doesn't prompt you to tell you that you have VM's, you judt have to check it.

I waited this long to get it b/c I needed to port my land line. They charge $20 additional for that.

It's acceptable if you don't use you're land line much. I wish the MJ plus was at Walmart when I purchased it b/c then I wouldn't have to have my CPU on all the time. I'm still feeling it out at this point but I will switch to the plus if I keep it. I have 90 days to return the basic MJ. The MJ plus is $70 plus $8 shipping which you can only get off majicjack.com which is more.

I'm interested in learning more about Google voice. Do they send you an adapter to hook your phone up? Is the connection good and clear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:05 PM

6,304 posts, read 8,991,801 times
I LOVE my Magic Jack. It works just great, except when the phone is left off the charger overnight...but I guess I should ascribe that to "user error:.

Seriously though, in the three or so months that I've had it, there's been only one time where the connection was "off". I have a good high-speed connection (not wireless) and a relatively new computer.

Yes, the computer has to be on for it to work, but when it's not, I get the voicemails right in my e-mail box.

I'm in a situation where I wanted a second line and the Magic Jack has fit the bill nicely.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:22 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,189 times
After reading the first couple of pages of this thread, we decided to get the OBI bridge and use it for our Google Voice number. I have to say, it works wonderfully! And we're thrilled to have a landline that doesn't have any monthly or annual cost above the internet connection. We also like that the computer does not need to be on to use it, since it plugs into the router.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,043,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
After reading the first couple of pages of this thread, we decided to get the OBI bridge and use it for our Google Voice number. I have to say, it works wonderfully! And we're thrilled to have a landline that doesn't have any monthly or annual cost above the internet connection. We also like that the computer does not need to be on to use it, since it plugs into the router.
That's why my children had it installed for us.

We have it for 8 months now, and 95% of our calls have been through it. Unlimited free calls, no membership, no contract, no monthly or annual fee, not a dime of expense, clear connection, the computer doesn't have to be on, and works perfectly away from the house as long as the distance is within the router's radius.

It may sound too good to be true, but it is true, and I don't think there's anything out there with equal or better value for us.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
That's why my children had it installed for us.

We have it for 8 months now, and 95% of our calls have been through it. Unlimited free calls, no membership, no contract, no monthly or annual fee, not a dime of expense, clear connection, the computer doesn't have to be on, and works perfectly away from the house as long as the distance is within the router's radius.

It may sound too good to be true, but it is true, and I don't think there's anything out there with equal or better value for us.
Sounds like you've got good kids!

We are with you on the value, and as long as we can have a free phone number we'll keep using the bridge.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 PM

81 posts, read 453,342 times
I live outside the U.S and magic jack works beautifully. I did have a problem once with the sound, and I was able to go on line and chat with a magic jack rep. They were able to give me instructions on line to have the problem fixed. No one is at home during the day so the pc is off then. If anyone needs us we have our cell phones, the company's cell and of course they can email or call the office. My daughter is at a U.S university and we are able to talk with her every day, and other relatives, thanks to magic jack. We have saved thousands.

Old 09-25-2011, 02:39 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,534,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
Amazon.com: OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter: Electronics

That, and an $11 cordless phone from Wal-Mart, that's all we spent. After that, all calls to all numbers in the US are free. No monthly service charge. No expense, no bill, none whatsoever. We dial directly from the phone, exactly the same way as a regular land line, not through the computer. We receive calls from every source without involving in any kind of network. We've used the phone in the backyard, by the pool, etc. as long as it's within a certain radius of the computer. The computer, as I mentioned above, does not have to turn on for the connection.

We could have an answering machine to go with it, but we chose not to. We use Google Voice for answering service instead, and pick up the messages through our gmail (or by dialing a voice mail number, but I never did.)

We'll move across the country next year, and the VoIP will continue to work everywhere we live.
This is better than Majic Jack

Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 PM

1,627 posts, read 3,207,595 times
Can you use your fax machine with Google?

Old 09-30-2011, 07:17 PM

17,817 posts, read 15,467,640 times
Faxing via Google Voice - ASCEND

Old 10-05-2011, 05:39 PM

410 posts, read 830,914 times
UPDATE: It works great. I have cancelled my land line. The only thing I don't like is on the caller ID, it only shows the phone number, not the name.

If you order it, make sure your PC meets the speed requirements (I think it's 128 kbps).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living