Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 01:18 AM

17,817 posts, read 15,478,142 times

Advertisements

Excellent! There is a 3rd party piece of software not created by the MJ guys called MagicFeatures Plugin that adds a bunch of cool features that MagicJack lacks. It includes caller ID, talking caller ID, speed dial, and a bunch of other things. It's not free, but it is extremely useful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 11:00 AM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
I would never ever leave my computer on 24/7. Plus, power outtages from storms mean that I can be without a cell phone. My landland has never failed me, so I choose to keep it.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:52 PM

29 posts, read 42,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
I am thinking of getting rid of my land line to save $50 a month (I am living paycheck to paycheck right now). My DSL meets the speed requirements. I hardly ever talk on the phone, anyways.

I have read mixed reviews of it.
I have had one for years now.and love it.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:21 PM

349 posts, read 886,155 times
Default It works OK

My brother uses it but it does have a tendency to have a less than clear connection and the other downside is that I believe your computer has to be runnng for it to work...so...are you really saving if the computer is on all day/night, 24/7? Not so much.

But as a phone, it is a good backup, so long as you don't expect it to be clear - some clicks/cutouts during your conversation can be annoying but it does work.

At the price it is, you really can't go wrong.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:59 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,312,020 times
right now the "magicjack plus" is available to purchase, and you don't need a computer; just an internet connection .

Old 11-11-2011, 07:47 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
right now the "magicjack plus" is available to purchase, and you don't need a computer; just an internet connection .
You still have to plug it into the wall. I'm wondering if the call quality is more clear than majicjack. The biggest complaint that I have is that it is hard to hear with it unless you and the recipient speak loud. I've adjusted the settings on the mj and it helped some. If you try to turn it up all the way, you get echoing and skipping.

You can't beat the price but it would be nice if those kinks were worked out.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,059,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
Hmm... but there's still a yearly fee? I might have considered this if it came out sooner....

Old 11-14-2011, 07:28 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,433,191 times
Well,

Magic Jack is VOIP, and since you need a network connection, in my experience it will go out in a few hours after a power outage.
I keep a hard-line (copper twisted pair line) to the central office running. ATT/Bell Labs had it right; their backup system made it so that you would always have phone service (unless above-ground lines were taken out by trees, etc).

Personally, I can't stand VOIP, and this is coming from a guy that designed it for years.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:55 AM

537 posts, read 730,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
The reason you have to keep your computer ON for majic jack is when you signed up, you gave them permission to install a progarm on your computer that copies all your web site traffic, emails, and documents. When you make a call or their software does a "upgrade", it's sending that copied info back to their office. You also gave them permission to listen in on your calls to determine sales opprtunites of products. They use this to build profiles and sell that to other vendors for a host of reasons. Majic Jack is the ultimate in anti-privacy telecommunications. The sad thing is they get around the wiretap and eavesdropping laws because you actually gave permission for them to do this. Sadly most don'tt read the full TOS.
Wow...that's VERY interesting. Thank you for posting. No majic jack for me.

Old 11-27-2011, 10:23 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,764,762 times
If you have a Gmail account, look at the left menu under "Chat" and click "Call phone". It will enable you to download software in a few seconds, free, that will enable you to dial any number free, and use your computer mic and speakers to talk to the called party.

However, this does not give you an incoming phone number that will allow someone with a conventional phone to dial you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living