U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM
Status: "Waiting for coronavirus to end..." (set 27 days ago)

43,542 posts, read 62,298,453 times

Advertisements

Just came across this listing - hope savvy people will get even better savings there
Extreme Bargains :: Independent Discount & Salvage Grocery Store Directory
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,707,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Just came across this listing - hope savvy people will get even better savings there
That's a great list, but as so often is the case on the internet, probably incomplete and outdated. Those kinds of stores tend to drift in and out of business on short notice. There are certain hotbeds of such outlets. When I lived in a small town in southern Missouri, there were three such stores just in that one town, and a lot of other little towns nearby had one, too.

Most people are not even aware that salvage grocery stores even exist, and considering the number of people who are afraid to even use salt that is past best-buy date, it is not surprising that salvage stores have limited popularity.

I bought a box of Wheaties at a salvage store, that was so out of date that the athlete featured on the box had moved on to new stardom (Mark McGwire) and I sold the empty box on EBay.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:09 AM

14,181 posts, read 26,713,596 times
Darn! None in Las Vegas. I would have at least gone to check it out!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:21 AM

6,841 posts, read 12,559,430 times
You'll have better luck searching "discount grocery" and its variants on Yelp..

There's at least 2 of these stores (i.e. Grocery Outlet) here in Orange County but only a handful listed for the entire state of California.. definitely outdated.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:54 PM

14,922 posts, read 25,526,250 times
I like the list and have seen it in several places.

One recommendation. If you plan to travel a distance, call the operation in advance. Often, these are shoestring operations with short hours. Those is Amish/Mennonite areas are nearly always closed on Sundays.

Also, some of the operations have periods where they are OVERstocked, and other times where they have bare shelves.

I love the places but you have to know what you are dealing with.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Status: "Waiting for coronavirus to end..." (set 27 days ago)

43,542 posts, read 62,298,453 times
The original list was posted here:
Anderson Country Market - Independent Discount & Salvage Grocery Store Directory
then moved here:
The following is their description and listing taken on September 30, 2009.
Salvage Grocery list by state - Page 5 - Frugal Village Forums
and finally here:

When I look at the listing, it seems to be updated ( from 2009 ) so lets hope it is somehow current.
(San Antonio and Huston is current)

Every store has a listed phone number. Just call before going to verify.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:06 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,763,124 times
Thanks for posting this list. I had no idea these stores even existed. Of course, there isn't one in my city even though it's the capital of Texas. We certainly need one of these.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM

15,835 posts, read 33,176,251 times
I'm surprised there aren't more of these than there are - there does happen to be one not too far from me, but I have never been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or