Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
With AT&T pay as you go plan, you can purchase a $100 prepaid good for one year, and if you add another $100 prepaid credit before the year expires you get to roll over any amount that is still left on the card. So you loose nothing. Minutes are billed at $0.25 per minute.
Is that the GoPhone? I am thinking about switching to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 03:18 AM

11 posts, read 16,112 times
Not applicable in this situation but if you need a cell phone and don't use it much I suggest looking into pre-paid tracphone stuff. I use that and I average out to about 10 dollars a month depending on how much I use it. I figure a 400 minute card that gives me a year of time and the minutes are doubled due to buying a double minutes thing lasts me 8-9 months or so.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:07 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
I have racked up some serious bills with Sprint, mainly due to int'l usage. I know, I know, get Skype. My average with 500 min. daytime usage, text, and web is $58. Could someone pls recommend a better/less expensive cell service?

Thanks a lot.

If you know, you know to get Skype, then why not get Skype.

We pretty much use only Skype. We pay a pittance for Skype in and Skype out. DH is on the phone to the UK all the time.

(We have a cheap Virgin Mobile account which we use to have something to dial 911 if needed or when we go to the UK.)

Old 11-17-2011, 06:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaod View Post
Not applicable in this situation but if you need a cell phone and don't use it much I suggest looking into pre-paid tracphone stuff. I use that and I average out to about 10 dollars a month depending on how much I use it. I figure a 400 minute card that gives me a year of time and the minutes are doubled due to buying a double minutes thing lasts me 8-9 months or so.
If you have time, can you explain to me how to get minutes for that approx. rate? (PM if you'd like) - I bought one for use as emergency/honey, I'll be late, etc. - so not much use but I'm clueless as to where to buy minutes (don't want them to expire after a month, etc.) TIA

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Used to have AT&T contract and even though I seldom used my cell phone, wracked up over $100/ month, outrageous. Probably because I was charged also on incoming calls. So quit that and now have a go-phone with AT&T. Looking into Consumer Cellular go-phone, though don't know if there would be any advantage over AT&T.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:54 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,045,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
If you have time, can you explain to me how to get minutes for that approx. rate? (PM if you'd like) - I bought one for use as emergency/honey, I'll be late, etc. - so not much use but I'm clueless as to where to buy minutes (don't want them to expire after a month, etc.) TIA
You can buy minutes in many retail stores or online at tracfone.com.
Do a web search for bonus codes. Look for the latest postings about current bonus codes. The codes expire, sometimes without warning.

I subscribe to a tracfone users yahoogroup and people post every day if they find a good valid bonus code. Some bonus codes are very good, like 60 free minutes when you add a 60 minute card. A few really outstanding (glitch?) bonus codes might give 200 or more free minutes when adding a 60 minute card. When I see something like that I jump on them, even if I wasn't planning on adding minutes anytime soon.

If you add a $100 year/400 minute card, you can usually find a bonus code for 200 free minutes. If you have a Double Minutes for Life (DMFL) phone, most tracfones are, you get 1000 minutes for $100. 10c/min.

Some people find deals to get down to ~5c/min. Some people love the game of trying to get minutes as cheap as possible. There are websites, forums and tutorials out there to help you get the best deals.

I have a LG420g phone. It's $15 at most retail locations, sometimes $10 on sale. It doesn't have free incoming texts but if you read/scroll an incoming text on the outside screen before opening the phone, it won't charge you for the text when you open it again in the phone. I love learning all the little tricks.

Old 11-18-2011, 03:39 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Thanks eofelis - I'll check into in more.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:41 PM

77 posts, read 696,710 times
I think it depends on your minute usage. Which is...?

This summer I got a GoPhone and I love it so far. I hardly use any minutes so it worked out great for me. I put $25 on it (the minimum) which lasts 3 months (calls at 10c/min) and usually it works out fine. 1000 texts/month for $9.99. Total is about $18/month for my plan... can't beat that!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talexy1234 View Post
I think it depends on your minute usage. Which is...?

This summer I got a GoPhone and I love it so far. I hardly use any minutes so it worked out great for me. I put $25 on it (the minimum) which lasts 3 months (calls at 10c/min) and usually it works out fine. 1000 texts/month for $9.99. Total is about $18/month for my plan... can't beat that!
We switched to the GoPhone and love it so far. No more $80.00 phone bills each month! YAY!

Old 12-15-2011, 01:48 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
I recently bought a cheap Smart Talk phone at Walmart and get unlimited minutes, texting and internet for $45 per month. I like it a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living