Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Do they contain lye or artificial ingredients?
No, according to their website, Zote contains Coconut oil and tallow. Lirio is rather evasive on their label, saying it is made from "soap paste", whatever that is. Lirio also markets "cosmetico" in personal size bars, which might be American soap knockoff, so look for Lirio "clasico".

Zote is now much more common in colored form, which has more of a scent. Which is why I switched to Lirio.

The label for Zote white says "Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, fragrance and optical brightener".

Last edited by jtur88; 11-17-2011 at 10:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
No, according to their website, Zote contains Coconut oil and tallow. Lirio is rather evasive on their label, saying it is made from "soap paste", whatever that is. Lirio also markets "cosmetico" in personal size bars, which might be American soap knockoff, so look for Lirio "clasico".

Zote is now much more common in colored form, which has more of a scent. Which is why I switched to Lirio.

The label for Zote white says "Sodium tallowate, sodium cocoate, fragrance and optical brightener".
All soap is lye soap. Sodium Tallowate is a version of lye.

All Soap is Lye Soap: What Else is in Your Soap? - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

Old 11-17-2011, 02:21 PM

53 posts, read 144,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Every time I go to look for skin care products, makeup, etc. I'm bowled over by the cost. Products of mainstream, commercial brands are made in a lab, of (possibly cancer causing) chemicals that I know shouldn't touch my skin let alone lips. These mainstream commercial products used to be inexpensive, but now the prices are rivaling the "all natural" products to be found at health food stores--I mean, $15+ for moisturizer, and no single cosmetic for less than $8-$15+.

I considered making my own lotions, shampoo, etc but the ingredients are so pricey I might as well buy ready-made products. Anyone have any frugal tips--for high quality, "all natural" sources for makeup, hair and skin products? What works, what doesn't, and what's not too expensive (for frugal types)?

make your own. you'd be amazed and what just apple cider vinegar and baking soda can be used for.

Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brottishluv View Post
make your own. you'd be amazed and what just apple cider vinegar and baking soda can be used for.
Can you name some uses other than cider vinegar to brace the skin and baking soda to brush teeth with? And how to make what you suggest?

Old 11-17-2011, 06:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Partly true. Soap is made by adding lye to a natural fat. A chemical process removes the sodium from the lye, combining it with the fat, and rendering what was originally lye, into an inert waste. If the soapmaker knows what he is doing the amount of lye exactly balances the fat. But by the time you get your bar, anything that was ever lye has been chemically converted to harmless components and recombined with something else.

When sodium cocoate and sodium tallowate are the ingredients, that means that coconut oil and beef tallow have been exposed to reactive sodium, to form those two new ingredients. But there is no lye remaining, unless the soapmaker put in too much to be converted by the fats. Although the soapmaker put lye in, what is still in the product is not lye anymore. For example, if sodium hydroxide was used as the lye, the sodium is now in the cocoate and tallowate, and the "hydroxide" (hydrogen and oxygen) simply passed off in some other form, probably gaseous or in combination with some other impurities.

So, No, you are not washing your face with lye. You are washing it with harmless fatty products that have reacted with the sodium in the lye. To say sodium tallowate is a "version" of lye is only if you define 'lye' as any sodium compound, and that would include table sale. Lye that goes into soap has corrosive powers, but that power is completely used up when it "corrodes" the tallow.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-17-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Mexican soap industry created these soaps for use by women washing their clothes by hand on rocks in a cold river. Alternative products are now available for automatic washers.

However, you can use a potato peeler to shave it into pieces that will dissolve in the washer. Or pre-dissolve the soap pieces in hot water in a bowl, and then pour that into your washer.

A friend of mine makes her own soap with Zote, she grates it and adds borax and washing soda to make it more like a powder. Smells great, got a jar of it from her, haven't used it yet, but look forward to it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living