U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 04:18 PM

304 posts, read 530,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is one of the potential down sides as well. One thing to consider though, is that with no rent, low taxes, lower utilities (assuming a small home), and no ballooning prices on the necessities, it's possible to get by on a very low wage and still be fairly comfortable. You just have to forgo a lot of the non-necessities that we consider necessities these days. Forget that Himalayan cafe and Basque restaurant... they ain't out there.
Well, yeah, if you are fortunate enough to have no rent or mortgage. I would love to move someplace like that. I hate the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,552,001 times
I think one of the less expensive option of finding housing is to look at these small homes, that were more common in the 1950s through 1970s. I am talking those which are about 800-100 square feet with two bedrooms and 1 bath. Today, it is very hard to find builders that offer small inexpensive homes., I like the small all brick ranches which are more common in Denver. There are those small Cape Code Style homes with an attic and a basement that you see in the east---That was the type of home I lived as a child which was about 840 sq. ft on the main level.

I like those will full basements which make them cooler in summer and warmer in winter. Also gives you some extra comfortable room as the basements. In this semi arid climate basements are dry with the low humidity and the lower water table. I see most of these homes have been already been expanded to the basement and extra rooms and baths are existing. In this area, around Denver, there are many that are all brick as all brick disappear in small homes in later years. Also, many of these homes lack the cathedral ceilings of these modern homes. Sure, they look nice but people forget that we heat and cool cubic feet not square feet.

There are many of these coming on the market with the mortgage crises. Of course, it is important to choose the neighborhood wisely, but there are many that are in older established safe areas. Also with many of the older developed neighborhoods come with good existing public transit and stores nearby. You can then live a car free or car less lifestyle which would save much.

What is even more astounding in Denver is that some of these developments were built near commercial train lines because the land was cheaper. However, today, in Denver, we are rapidly building commuter rail and light rail lines that, for ease of, and no cost land acquisition, are being built alongside these existing or on some abandoned lines. So some of these less regarded neighborhoods of the past are now considered more desirable because they are now near the new rail stations. Investors are buying these small homes and redeveloping; values are rising and they are attracting a new type of people who see the value in small, simple and smart. I know all about this as I live in one of these neighborhoods and a rail station is being built within walking distance of my house which I anticipate will increase in value.

What is even better for frugal living is that these homes are in developments that were built before the homeowners associations and associated fees came into existence. Many of these older small homes are on larger lots than what is built today.

They do require some updating. I see many now that have been acquired by investor, cheaply with all the foreclosures, that have been quickly rebuilt with new windows, increased insulation and interior work of new kitchens and baths. They come on the market as a good value for those looking to live simply and with less cost.

So they are small? Do all of us need a big house. Small houses can be ideal in retirement., especially ranches with fewer steps. Families raised families that in these small homes and today's families have few children and have big homes. They are cheap to heat and cool. They are cheaper than many condos and maintain their value better. They are better and maybe less costly than a mobile home with the cost of renting trailer park land.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-26-2012 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living