Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:15 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not think that you 'have to', but you certainly can.

We did.

We also got a new antenna to replace our old antenna.
Yes, you absolutely do need a converter box if you have an older tube TV, and want to receive digital broadcast TV.

You also need a digital TV antenna to connect to this box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
'IF' you want to watch TV; and 'IF' you live in a region where low-power digital TV signals are currently being broadcast; then yes you are correct.

You would need a converter box for an older TV set.

However there is no legal requirement for anyone to have a converter box.

Again, I have one, and we had a new antenna as well. Did no good.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
'IF' you want to watch TV; and 'IF' you live in a region where low-power digital TV signals are currently being broadcast; then yes you are correct.

You would need a converter box for an older TV set.

However there is no legal requirement for anyone to have a converter box.

Again, I have one, and we had a new antenna as well. Did no good.
I never said there was a legal requirement ... that would be ridiculous if there was such a law.

I simply stated that to watch digitally broadcast TV, you either need a digital converter box for an older tube TV, or else, purchase a newer TV (such as LCD and Plasma Flat Panel TVs) which already have the digital technology built in.

According to this Digital TV Antenna map, you should have digital broadcast signals of NBC, ABC, CBS and FOX within 50 miles of Argyle, Maine:

http://www.hdtvantennalabs.com/location/ME/Argyle+Twp/

Perhaps you needed a stronger TV antenna (one with a powered DB gain amplifier built in), or you needed to locate the antenna outside your home? I know my digital rabbit ears antenna pulled in a much stronger signal when I located it outside my home.

You also need to make sure you are pointing the antenna in the right direction for obtaining the strongest signal. If you face your antenna in the wrong direction, your signal is weak or doesn't work at all.

If you are using digital rabbit ears, experiment with the height of the rabbit ears, and move them in various directions until you get the best signal. I found in some cases that the signal came in best when the ears were fully collapsed.

I currently use this antenna mounted outside my home, and it works great:

http://www.amazon.com/Antennas-Direc.../dp/B0017O3UHI

Last edited by RD5050; 01-04-2012 at 09:09 AM..

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
... According to this Digital TV Antenna map, you should have digital broadcasts of NBC, ABC & CBS within 50 miles of Argyle, Maine:

Choosing the Best TV Antenna for Argyle Twp, Maine
Yes, I have seen those websites before. Saying that our township should be getting signal.

Assuming a perfect spherical-geoid it might work too. That is the model they make their assumptions on.

But that assumes many things, like an average level of iron content in the soil, no mountains, no forests, etc.

Large bodies of open water make the signals go further for example.

There are many things that cause such assumptions to fail in the real world.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have seen those websites before. Saying that our township should be getting signal.

Assuming a perfect spherical-geoid it might work too. That is the model they make their assumptions on.

But that assumes many things, like an average level of iron content in the soil, no mountains, no forests, etc.

Large bodies of open water make the signals go further for example.

There are many things that cause such assumptions to fail in the real world.
Sounds to me like the citizens of Argyle should complain to the local government, and have them install additional broadcast antennas closer to you.

Perhaps they need to have some type of broadcasting device which first receives the signal, and then re-transmits it ... kind of like a relay.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,236 times
I have a 5-year old 32" Sharp TV, and since I'll be getting rid of DirecTV next week, I was just trying to explore all of my options, since I can watch tons of my favorite TV shows online.

Here in Los Angeles, would I still need a rooftop antenna, or would rabbit ears be sufficient?

Also, what's the downside, if there is one, to buying an HDTV digital antenna ($49.99 @ Best Buy) for a non-HDTV TV set?

Last edited by Marv101; 01-04-2012 at 05:54 PM..

Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I have a 5-year old 32" Sharp TV, and since I'll be getting rid of DirecTV next week, I was just trying to explore all of my options, since I can watch tons of my favorite TV shows online.

Here in Los Angeles, would I still need a rooftop antenna, or would rabbit ears be sufficient?

Also, what's the downside, if there is one, to buying an HDTV digital antenna ($49.99 @ Best Buy) for a non-HDTV TV set?
My guess is in LA, you can use rabbit ears. You should be able to receive a lot of stations, since LA is a huge market.

Obviously, a rooftop antenna will work best, but if you don't want to go that route, rabbit ears should work fine. Just make sure they are digital rabbit ears. I also recommend getting one with a built-in db gain booster. It really helps when you have it.

You will be able to watch HDTV stations on your older tube set using an antenna and converter box, but they won't be as crystal clear as if you saw the same station on a newer TV with HD capability. But the station will still look great ... just as good as cable TV.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:22 AM

448 posts, read 1,055,021 times
looks as good as dvd quality with a converter box on a non HD set

Old 01-07-2012, 02:50 PM

111 posts, read 173,692 times
I have lived without cable and it's ok. All you have to do is get a fast internet provider with WIFI so you can watch movies/tv shows/sporting events online. You can also buy a HD TV with WIFI or a gaming console like Playstation 3, which has WIFI so you can connect to the internet. I pay $49.99 for a pretty fast internet speed. I also have a new HP PC with an Intel I5 chip.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post

Check out hulu for TV shows. They come to Hulu a week or two after broadcast.

I dumped cable years ago but am still a big fan of Burn Notice and watch it on hulu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living