U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM

955 posts, read 1,835,117 times

Advertisements

Hello,
After years of cable, I am seriously considering not signing up for cable when I move to my new place. I am supposed to move in a a few weeks and I ordered a roku player a few days ago. Haven't received it yet so I haven't tested it out. I would like to know if some of you used to be cable addicts and cut the cord. How was the transition? Are means like Roku and Hulu+ enough to catch up on most shows? I usually watch shows from my dvr and never watch live tv so I wouldn't miss live tv. So please share your experiences if you went without cable and if you'd recommend it. Also, what internet speed would be decent for streaming? Cox, verizon or Comcast?Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 08:39 PM

4,217 posts, read 4,437,218 times
I went for 2 yrs without cable. I used the library for a lot of videos and had my own. This was several years before Netflix and Hulu. Comcast had raised its rates I was pissed. When I decided to rejoin Comcast I just got the basic cable. It was enough.

Now, years later, with Comcast pulling this crap about digital this and that I have seriously thought about stopping even the basic. I get Netflix and can get lots of stuff online. The basic cable costs me 22.91 a month, pretty cheap.

When Comcast went all digital I thought I would go through withdrawal as I still have an analog TV and I refuse to buy a new one or to rent a box from them for a monthly fee. I watched alllll the Real Houseives shows, everything on Bravo, TLC, Disvoery and on and on and on. When it all stopped I felt weird for a couple of weeks and then I realized how much time I wasted AND just how stupid a lot of what I was watching was. Now, I couldn't care less about any of those shows.

I think anyone can do it. Good luck!!!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:00 PM

741 posts, read 1,319,820 times
"living without cable" is like an oxymoron...
good luck

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 PM

5,273 posts, read 8,223,164 times
I cut the cord three years ago and am amazed how much "living" I was missing by wasting so much time watching "programming". I have not replaced cable with any alternatives- I spend my evenings reading and learning new things rather than in a catatonic state of ignorance being "programmed" by the media.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:14 PM

741 posts, read 1,319,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I cut the cord three years ago and am amazed how much "living" I was missing by wasting so much time watching "programming". I have not replaced cable with any alternatives- I spend my evenings reading and learning new things rather than in a catatonic state of ignorance being "programmed" by the media.
I wasn't in this catatonic state until maybe 2 years ago.. I didnt even watch tv..but yet, I was the weirdo for not watching tv according to every one that I know! NOW I will surely die without Teen Mom 2, The Walking Dead, Sister Wives, Kardashians, nancy Grace, and many, many more! sigh

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,494,521 times
We haven't have cable for 17 months now. Didn't feel like we are missing anything. No, to be precise, my husband did not feel like he is missing anything. Myself, the last time I watched TV was April 2001, so I don't even notice the existence or the absence of the TV and the cable.

Both of my adult children do not watch TV either. They're both professionals in highly competitive fields and no one thought of them as weirdos.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM

591 posts, read 790,896 times
I completely agree with Wartrace. I have had DirecTV the last 3 years. During that time, I have endlessly filled up my DVR, engaged in an unending race to watch as many shows as I possibly could. Along the way, I made myself miserable. My wife and I decided to cut the cord and we couldn't be happier. We are doing puzzles, Xbox Kinect, and a host of other things that are far more exciting than being programmed by the media. That, and we're saving $70 per month! The occasional movie from Netflix is fine by me at $8.99/month. As far as streaming goes, I am obsessed with Amazon and I get Prime membership, which offers free streaming of movies and TV shows.

I would say go for it! You'll save money, spend more time doing meaningful things, and won't miss it in the long run! It might hurt for awhile, but hang in there!

Old 11-29-2011, 09:30 PM

3,199 posts, read 10,964,715 times
I could live without it. I do watch numerous things on TV but it would not kill me at all to not watch them. Lots of the popular dramas that I like are available online with fewer commercials. News, I can get plenty online. Local news is so lame it's just, what water main is broken today in Honolulu! LOL and I live on the Big Island! Radio can suffice for some local news, as we do have several local radio stations here.

We have a new Blu Ray DVD player and I did not realized all the stuff you can get with that thing! Obviously you do have to have some cable to get anything at all, but you could take the bare lowest minimum service and probably that would be enough with all the internet alternatives that there are nowadays.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:40 PM

142 posts, read 106,966 times
Try hooking up an indoor antenna on a flat-screen TV. About $30 from Walmart. I get over 30 channels, many in HD here in Northern VA; a suburb of DC. I cannot believe the picture quality in HD. Better than any cable.

If an indoor antenna doesn't do the job try an inexpensive outdoor antenna. eBay has many sellers.

Depending on your location many of you will be quite surprised as i was after hooking this up.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 PM

955 posts, read 1,835,117 times
Nychuck, I am also located in Nova ( Ashburn). I will try the antenna thing and see if it works. Thanks for the tip

Here's the thing, I didn't use to watch a lot of tv at all, just the occasional show here and there. I stayed home a while after having my daughter and got addicted to all the regular tv shows that bored housewives watch. Since then, I have gone back to work but still record all my shows on the dvr and don't miss any of them. I am trying to live more frugaly and save more and as part of that, I was exploring all ways of cutting costs. As an example, i just switched my t-mobile account from a regular account to the prepaid unlimited plan that they started offering for $50/month while i was paying about $90/month for the same thing ($40/month savings) and the only thing that's gonna change is I won't have access to my online t-mobile account to pay my bills or see my call history, works for me. Anyhow, so cutting cable is another one on my list as I've noticed that I watched the same shows ( about 10) and pay for my cable+internt+hbo bundle about $150/month. Is it worth it? of course not. I have never lived without cable though so I don't know how this is going to work but I just want to inform myself on alternatives before I cut the cord
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living