Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 10:47 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I don't do cable or satellie. I am trying to decide on either keeping Netflix or dumping it and doing Hulu+. I won't do both. Thoughts?
Hulu has a free trial offer, I believe for one week.. at least they did last month. Just don't forget to cancel if you don't want it because we forgot and we were charged the $7.99. I am terrible about "free trials" and always forget to cancel. We only signed up so I could catch up on a show that Netflix doesn't offer.

Personally I prefer Netflix. I don't like the HULU interface, and I don't like the commercials. I feel like it should be commercial free if i am paying for it, but then again the commercials are only on the more recent shows. It also seems like (to me) that Netflix has more movie offerings. I could be wrong but that's my perception.

Give HULU a try though. They offer a longer free trial if you have an @edu.com email address to sign up with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:17 AM

846 posts, read 1,400,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Please tell me which shows you watch with the 60 channels...

Very intrigued!

I went to the Shack today and they had stuff in the $40-50ish range.

Can I get this cheaper (antenna) on Amazon or....?
We don't have cable and get about the same amount of channels with basic rabbit ears--but I'm in Chicago very close to Downtown

Obviously, I get the basic networks but also a LiveWell station (has Canadian talk shows, some HGTV type shows), MeTV (some older sitcom reruns like Laverne & Shirley or The Odd Couple and other networks that play shows like Law & Order, and Psych.

I'm not much into TV but am totally overwhelmed by the variety

Old 07-02-2013, 11:23 AM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
I don't have cable. I have Hulu and Netflix. I mean together they are still less than 20 dollars a month. Cheap! I also spent about 20 bucks on "rabbit ears" or whatever you call them nowadays, and I get good reception on CBS, NBC, ABC, and a few other things. I like Hulu because there are a few shows I like to keep up with while they are airing. So you have to wait for the next day - big deal. I don't understand people who complain Netflix doesn't have enough to choose from. There are TONS of things to choose from. Between movies and all the TV shows, I could spend all day watching it and never run out of things to watch. It's 8 dollars a month for crying out loud, and they have quite a few new releases out. Even if you just watched a couple movies a month that is still cheaper than a few Red Box trips or one trip to the theater!

Old 07-02-2013, 12:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 9,207,973 times
I signed up for both Netflix and Hulu a couple weeks ago. (and still have Dish Network for now). I like Netflix better because there are no commercials and Hulu pauses and has to load (due to slow internet connection but Netflix doesn't do this). I am going to cancel Hulu for now but will most likely pick it up in a couple months so I can keep up with "Revenge" .

Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
There is virtually nothing anyone can say about home antennas in general, as it is so dependent on where you live. All but two stations have antennas 40 miles away for me, and based on the surrounding hills, I can't get anything. You have to talk to your neighbors or go on antennaweb.org or some other website to check your coverage.

Areo should be in 22 cities by the end of the year. You can get your local stations beamed over the internet for $80/year. A little history is required here. In 2008 a cable company wanted to create "virtual dvr's" where people could store shows on a DVR that was not located at their house. In the past any such project had been declared illegal as a masquerading of retransmitting a show without paying a retransmission fee. A DVR in the house is covered under the same laws as permitted VCR's from the last 40 years. Aereo ran with the court decision, and said that they could supply DVRs and private antennas that are one inch high, but are located somewhere with good reception. The transmission over the internet is just a glorified version of the cable that comes from your rooftop antenna. So far Aereo has won all the court cases, and is expanding nationwide.

But sometimes you find that you can adapt to delayed programs on the computer and/or live streaming to get your news and sports.

However, I am surprised that you are paying as much as you are. My local cable company (RCN.COM) provides local TV and 25 Mbs internet for $40 per month. If you use Google Voice, Skype, MagicJack, Vonage, or one of the other inexpensive VOIP services you can get phone service for just a few dollars more.

In addition they will let you buy commercial free TV (Showtime, HBO, Cinemax, Starz) for just a few dollars more without first purchasing all the ad supported cable TV stations (TBS, USA, A&E, TNT, Fox News, etc).
I don't get the appeal of Aereo. Why not just put a $50 antenna on the top of your house (or better, use a $10 pair of rabbit ears if you are near enough to the transmitters)?

Hulu Plus an interesting service. At under $100 / year, it's certainly not expensive. It delivers most network TV shows and some cable shows. For most, the complete anthologies (all the seasons) are available. The movie selection is certainly sub-par, but I've found some gems. There are a lot of "classic" TV shows, too, as well as a surprising selection of Korean dramas. Most shows have commercial interruptions, although some older shows (e.g. Law and Order SVU before 2009 or so) do not.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:01 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
I signed up for both Netflix and Hulu a couple weeks ago. (and still have Dish Network for now). I like Netflix better because there are no commercials and Hulu pauses and has to load (due to slow internet connection but Netflix doesn't do this). I am going to cancel Hulu for now but will most likely pick it up in a couple months so I can keep up with "Revenge" .
Ha, yes, it is worth it for 'Revenge'! I will wait until a bunch of episodes are available, pay for a month, then "binge watch".

Old 07-04-2013, 01:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I get more than enough channels with just a cheap antenae -- under $20. CBS has 2 stations, ABC has 4, NBC has 4, PBS has 2, Fox has 2 plus there are a whole bunch of Mexican television stations besides. Ten free stations, but also with internet, you can get a lot of what's on television from their websites.

I have free television channels and netflix for $8.65 a month.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
I have no intents of getting either Hulu or Netflix, but am curious about something.

I've been trying to get some online sport sites to work (to watch the Seattle Mariner's games which we no longer get because our cable decided not to carry ROOT Sports any longer) but cannot get any of them to work.
Would either Hulu or Netflix carry the games in my area?

I guess my other question was answered. I was wondering if one needed a cable subscription for either, but since most said they are dropping cable, then I guess the answer is NO.
I wondered only because I went to sign up for online tv (someplace -cannot remember where) and was told I needed to give them my cable info. For what? I already have damn cable, I wanted something else online.

All we want to do is watch our baseball games live and we can't. MLB.tv sucks because they do not show local games.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
Hulu has a free trial offer, I believe for one week.. at least they did last month. Just don't forget to cancel if you don't want it because we forgot and we were charged the $7.99. I am terrible about "free trials" and always forget to cancel. We only signed up so I could catch up on a show that Netflix doesn't offer.

Personally I prefer Netflix. I don't like the HULU interface, and I don't like the commercials. I feel like it should be commercial free if i am paying for it, but then again the commercials are only on the more recent shows. It also seems like (to me) that Netflix has more movie offerings. I could be wrong but that's my perception.

Give HULU a try though. They offer a longer free trial if you have an @edu.com email address to sign up with.
I have found I have problems with hulu plus just freezing where netflix and amazon don't. I'm bypassing a higher bill on basic cable to get a show on tnt for summer by buying the amazon episodes and very tempted to go prime and see how much I find free. Of the three I like the results of amazon much more than the other two.

Huluplus and its commercials drives me nuts. I'd rather amazon a few bucks to own an episode I'd watch again than have their commercials.

I keep basic cable for basic local stations with storms since we don't get reception for regular tv here. Hulu plus will be cancelled after the month ends since its been charged already.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I have no intents of getting either Hulu or Netflix, but am curious about something.

I've been trying to get some online sport sites to work (to watch the Seattle Mariner's games which we no longer get because our cable decided not to carry ROOT Sports any longer) but cannot get any of them to work.
Would either Hulu or Netflix carry the games in my area?

I guess my other question was answered. I was wondering if one needed a cable subscription for either, but since most said they are dropping cable, then I guess the answer is NO.
I wondered only because I went to sign up for online tv (someplace -cannot remember where) and was told I needed to give them my cable info. For what? I already have damn cable, I wanted something else online.

All we want to do is watch our baseball games live and we can't. MLB.tv sucks because they do not show local games.
I just went to the Seattle Mariners website, and they link to MLB.TV. It looks like they DO stream their games:

The Official Site of The Seattle Mariners | Mariners.com: Homepage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living