Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:49 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have a pressure cooker I never use anymore but I wouldn't part with either of my crockpots! I have a large one and smaller one and they get a LOT of use. I don't know anyone who regrets having a crockpot and only donate the old one when they get a new one.
I agree with this one, crockpots are the greatest for making cheap, yummy meals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 04:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
Big question? Where can you buy big bulk sacks of dried beans and rice?

Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Big question? Where can you buy big bulk sacks of dried beans and rice?
Where are you located? I have mills within a short drive.

or for trendy stuff Bob's Red Mill

That is why I fly SWA... Free baggage!!! I take products to folks all over the USA. Maybe I'm headed your way

I like to barter... Grain fed Prairie Beef his high on my want list, as are 50 mpg VW's (often cheaper than a bag of beans Sheck your Neighbor's Brier patch, I offer 'rescue service to abandoned Rabbits) I often 'fly-drive'(home).

I can bring even MORE beans / rice / grain if you want a 50MPG Rabbit Delivered!!! (tho I'm hoarding them for Y10K)

Your local grain elevator will sell you a truck(or railcar) load of beans Or, just bring a shovel and bag and help them clean up!

Old 01-20-2012, 08:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
I'm in Pittsburgh. We've got nothing like Bob's Red Mill here.

Even if I had a car to barter, I don't need that many beans.

But I could hook you up with beef from Mish Farms.

How would you get meat home without it spoiling?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:10 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I agree with this one, crockpots are the greatest for making cheap, yummy meals.
Last week I made two! I made a pot of navy beans and ham and then another one of split pea soup. I ate two meals of each, gave some to my mom and now have a few meals in the freezer. The ham was left over from another day. I LOVE my crockpots!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,662,358 times
Call a local church, and see if they have a food distribution. We started using these a few months ago after my husband was laid off. We go every week and volunteer and get quite a supply of food. The typical week they give out these foods.
Milk, eggs, breads and bakery, fruits and vegetables like tomatoes, potatoes, onions, peppers of all kinds, lettuce, cauliflower brocolli, grapes, apples, oranges, bananas, mangos, peaches, plums, strawberries. Steak, pork chops, chicken, roasts, hamburger, fish, many more choices too. There is a lot more, chips, crackers, cereal, pop, dips, water, sports drinks, you name it, every week is different. Its free and we will go as long as we need it. We usually get two large overflowing boxes, we could not get through the month without it. We have started going to another church as well, so we get a double load each week. We have not ate these many fruit and vegetables in years, even when we could afford it, we fell out the fresh produce and vegetable buying habit, other than the typical apple, banana, potatoe, onion, lettuce, tomatoe type of produce.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:00 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I think it's all be covered here already, but get your mom to go to food pantries/banks.

if you have a backyard start a garden now for veggies.

if someone in your family can hunt deer meat is really good, or wild hog meat. Those would cover veggies and protein.

If you can dumpster dive in the recycle cans you can get coupons for cereal and processed foods.

The dollar store for toilet paper/ shampoo/soaps. They also have rice and beans, but so will the food pantries. You can get tea there cheap, it's 100 bags for $1.00.

Drink tea and water.
that cost more than buying beef at a store.......

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,022,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm in Pittsburgh. We've got nothing like Bob's Red Mill here.

Even if I had a car to barter, I don't need that many beans.

But I could hook you up with beef from Mish Farms.

How would you get meat home without it spoiling?
Big coolers and dry ice. I drive the 50mpg cars too and I've been known to make a road trip to pick up a load of great quality meat!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:42 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,234,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It would make more sense to invest in a pressure cooker. A crock pot is barely big enough to cook a meal for six, and it has to cook all day. In a pressure cooker, you can have dried beans ready to eat in 45 minutes, and make wonderful stews and soups faster than that. And they hold twice as much as a crock pot.

But they're harder to find. People with pressure cookers never let them go, but a lot of people wish they had never bought a crock pot and donate them to thrift shops.
crock pots come in different sizes....

Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM

31 posts, read 59,129 times
Try looking for an organization like this one in my area. I volunteer at Philabundance and Fresh for All programs Since being unemployed I donate my time and help hand out donate food a few times a week. Anyone can show up and get what ever donated food is available.

Fresh for all- is Fresh Vegetables that the supermarket is taking off off the shelf nothing wrong just a couple days old plus bread a few days out of date but still good or donated foods as truck had to get rid of as they had another stop etc...

Its free food and drinks sometimes... worth looking in your area for some of these programs to help you spread your $150.00

Fresh For All | Philabundance (http://www.philabundance.org/programs/programs-2/fresh-for-all/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living