Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM

25,719 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
If you really want a very small living space, why not look into a condo then? Of course you should have a choice but I can understand the rationale for a city to maintain a minimum requirement for a house size. A 250 sq ft home would look very out-of-place in most neighborhoods- almost as out of place as a 6000 sq ft McMansion would.

As you mentioned, many older homes can be around 1000 sq ft which I find small but would work for a single person. Why would you WANT a 250 sq ft home? I mean basically you're living in a space the size of my master bathroom. With a home that small, it'd be more like a studio apt than it would be a true "house".

There are a few communities in Scottsdale that REQUIRE you to build a home in EXCESS of 4000 sq ft in order to purchase a lot- that's mind-boggling to me.

If you're ever going to sell, the market is extremely limited for a place that small. Even though the recent trend is to downsize, I think you'd agree that's a little extreme.
A condo or townhouse is a viable option for many. In my case, though, I'm going rural (very, very small town way out in the boonies). Most of my lot will be garden and since there are vacant fields adjacent on two sides, I would like to add a few acres as I can afford it (for small-scale farming). Rural people generally don't really care about how big their neighbor's house is. There are all sizes out there. Nice thing about the area I'm going is that I don't see it filling in with homes any way soon... way too cold for most folks in the winter.

One thing I failed to mention about my small-home aspirations: There will certainly be a cellar to store food and a separate woodworking shop/workshop and garage. I don't really count this as living space, though. The actual home will be traditional colonial style at less than 400 sq ft (and you're right, the design is more studio-like, but actually cabin-like with a sleeping loft, etc). For actual living space, my requirements are very small. Right now, I live in around 340 sq ft, but it's in the city. Hopefully not for long though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 AM

304 posts, read 617,268 times
For everyone that recommends condos, as someone who has lived in Florida most of her life, I can tell you they are not the deal you may think. Many people are unaware of both the monthly maintence fees (which can run as high as $450 a month) and assessments which can be assessed at any given time, and can be in the thousands (i.e. you need a new roof, etc). Many condos do not have these in their "reserve" and so the condo homeowners are hit with assessments.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:37 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
I think the smartest thing to do right now is buy one of those 2500 square foot houses for half what they sold for 5 years ago
While not necessarily 2500 sq ft I agree in principle with what you are getting at, especially if one lives in one of the many parts of the country that suffered huge price drops.

Here in Phoenix one can buy a nice 3BR house for $120k that is in the 'burbs with good schools, low crime, nice parks etc. That combined with how low interest rates are for a mortgage I honestly don't see that much of a financial motivation to go smaller. What are you going to try to get your montlhy payment down to $500 instead of $650 by squeezing into a cottage half the size?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:59 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
I'm very lucky to live in a city that allows smaller homes. It goes by the uniform residential code which allows 250 sf or less. 150 sf main room plus a bath that has to ahcieve certain clearances around the fixtures.

I am wanting to build small homes for the next part of my career but am having a hard time deciding where to build the first one(s). During the boom years builders picked up most of the best lots and even some marginal ones, plopped down an 84 lumber kit house for 50K and sold it for 90 - 120K. So the lots that are left might have some kind of "flaw" or challenge.

Are there enough small house enthusiasts here who are willing to give input if I describe 5-6 scenarios? I'm not wanting to violate the TOS or recruit anyone to my town but could desperately use soem input. Of course if your dream is a place in the country or would only be interested in a totally sanitized environment you may not want to visualize any of these scenarios.

I plan to build homes with a 400 - 700 sf footprint. There may be finished space under the roof as well or they may have a basement. Construction costs will be around $80/ sf, there will be lot & development costs, plus a profit for me.

Yes I know it is more cost effective to buy a foreclosure or remodel a cheap house but I have BTDT and want to try something different. There's always the possibility I could keep one or 2 for rental, but I'll need to sell them if I want to build more.

Can I have a show of hands from people who have considered a small house in a small city in-town environment?

Last edited by creeksitter; 02-25-2012 at 10:01 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm very lucky to live in a city that allows smaller homes. It goes by the uniform residential code which allows 250 sf or less. 150 sf main room plus a bath that has to ahcieve certain clearances around the fixtures.
You are very lucky. Mind of I ask what city you are in? The city deserve a gold star for not becoming "housing despots."

Quote:
I am wanting to build small homes for the next part of my career but am having a hard time deciding where to build the first one(s).
I have considered the same idea, except I design small timber frame homes for the most part, and I've considered selling plans via the internet rather than actually building. I have designed several small conventional homes between 400 and 600 sq ft, as well.

Quote:
During the boom years builders picked up most of the best lots and even some marginal ones, plopped down an 84 lumber kit house for 50K and sold it for 90 - 120K. So the lots that are left might have some kind of "flaw" or challenge.
I think in certain cases, just the fact that the small home is available at all might make up for the fact that the area is not prime real estate.

Quote:
Are there enough small house enthusiasts here who are willing to give input if I describe 5-6 scenarios? I'm not wanting to violate the TOS or recruit anyone to my town but could desperately use soem input. Of course if your dream is a place in the country or would only be interested in a totally sanitized environment you may not want to visualize any of these scenarios.
I think there are plenty of small home enthusiasts out there. But I also think they tend to be browbeaten by monster home enthusiasts (who, for some reason, feel threatened by small, logical homes). The voices of small home enthusiasts also tend to be drowned out by builders who stand to make far more money building McMansions.

Quote:
I plan to build homes with a 400 - 700 sf footprint. There may be finished space under the roof as well or they may have a basement. Construction costs will be around $80/ sf, there will be lot & development costs, plus a profit for me.
Great idea. Best of luck to you.

Quote:
Yes I know it is more cost effective to buy a foreclosure or remodel a cheap house but I have BTDT and want to try something different. There's always the possibility I could keep one or 2 for rental, but I'll need to sell them if I want to build more.

Can I have a show of hands from people who have considered a small house in a small city in-town environment?
I am planning a move to a very small rural town waaaayyyy up in the northern plains, where I'll be building my very small home. But there is a town around my area (where I live now) that I have been very tempted to move into. It's fairly isolated and in a rather pretty setting. It is (or was) a "company town" built in the 1940s (back when an average home was very small by today's super-sized standards). The coal company built all the homes in town. They were all between 500 and 800 sq ft. Most all the homes are still there. Very few newer homes have been built. Unfortunately, it is rather economically depressed there since the coal mines were shut down. But the little homes are very charming for anyone who is a fan of small homes, even if many of them are vacant and in disrepair. There are around 1500 people there now and a grocery store, gas station... and that's about it! I could actually buy a small (around 650 sq ft) home there right now (that needs A LOT of work) on 1/3 of an acre for around $4900. Wow! I think the idea of entire towns of small homes is a great idea. That way, you know the people who move in are there because they actually prefer small housing, and they won't be bellyaching about it.

In general, there is a lot of enthusiasm for small homes. Just go to websites like Tumbleweed. Small-house people are out there. I would think if you can get word out (on a national level) that you have small homes for sale, you'd get response. Especially if you are offering them at a reasonable price. There just isn't much out there in the mainstream right now. So you have somewhat of a "captive audience."

Old 02-25-2012, 10:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i dont think so. every spare bedroom u got is worth 600 dollars a month.
that covered patio and covered porch are storage space u dont have to pay.
that is how many are keeping their homes, they are renting out rooms.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:49 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,586,662 times
Chris, I belong to a couple of tiny house list serves. A lot of members seem to want rural areas and/or they want community. I will pm you info. That mining town might really appeal to members of these groups. How much would a house in inhabitable condition cost?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:12 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
While not necessarily 2500 sq ft I agree in principle with what you are getting at, especially if one lives in one of the many parts of the country that suffered huge price drops.

Here in Phoenix one can buy a nice 3BR house for $120k that is in the 'burbs with good schools, low crime, nice parks etc. That combined with how low interest rates are for a mortgage I honestly don't see that much of a financial motivation to go smaller. What are you going to try to get your montlhy payment down to $500 instead of $650 by squeezing into a cottage half the size?
Besides the potential for more appreciation on a bigger house, you also have the option of creating a rental unit that generates enough income to pay the mortgage. I can understand some people not wanting to clean and heat a bigger house but personally I'm sick of living in a 1BR condo. I want an office, a guest room, a gym, and a nice big living/family room. Regarding utilities, a lot is dependent on the design and construction. I'm considering a 2400 sq. ft. house that averages $40/month in utilities because it was built by an architect who specialized in solar design.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 PM

Seriously, we can all come up with a bunch of logical (and/or emotional) reason for a home of size XXX. The savings may be a factor, the looks may be a factor, the norm may be a factor, the "bling" may be a factor, the ability to impress passers by may be a factor, the ability to have a 1000 person ball in your living room may be a factor, etc... but in the end it is going to boil down to you and your living space psychology. You are either drawn to small space homes or you are not. If you are not, fine. If you are, fine. And we can certainly all give our opinions on the matter. However, I've yet to meet someone who says they want there own 15 car garage, home theater, basement gym and tennis court, grand ballroom, blah blah, and suddenly be "converted" to small homes. Ain't gonna happen unless it's due strictly to economics. You've just got to be drawn to that small space. Period.

As for those who are drawn to small homes, all that we can hope to accomplish is making sure that a given person (who is not already drawn to large homes) knows that the small home is an option and be an example of what can be done. There was a time not so long ago that most folks didn't even know such a thing existed. Thanks to a few builders and websites, now we can see the alternative and decide for ourselves. As I've said in many posts here, I in no way want to dictate what size of home you live in. The only thing I will become belligerent about and insist on is the right to choose for myself and you're lack of right to tell me what size of home I can live in (that last little part is directed at government and the building industry).

Old 02-28-2012, 03:56 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
I would love a small house (although no need for Tumbleweed tiny- I draw the line at a sleeping loft with ladder and no bathroom- been there, done that). I bought a 750 sq.ft. crumbling former summer shack on a beautiful lot, 30 miles from Boston. Fifteen-year mortgage, short money, fix it up for cash, live simply, work parttime.
Eight years later, after everything that could crumble did- furnace, pipes, roof(s) and I had to get a brand-new $30K septic to get a building permit- I did build a 1300sq.ft. house, although I always wanted "a studio apartment in the middle of the woods." Built the second floor largely for the idea of resale and live on the first floor except for my desk and dusty exercise equipment. The town would not allow any kind of mobile home, and a pre-fab house couldn't be gotten up the narrow lane and onto my lot.
That said, I don't like bigger houses, even if I lived with someone. A good layout is more important than size or rooms, a layout that works for the way you live. (I like Sarah Susanka's "Not So Big House," although she defines that as less than 2,000 sq.ft.!) She talks about having spaces, not rooms all the time.
I owned land in Colorado in a sort of subdivision that used to have mobile homes, but they got grandfathered out. I wanted to buy a pre-fab house that was small enough to bring in on a trailer, put it on a real foundation and so on, and they said, "That's an RV." Huh? I ended up selling the lot to people who built a lovely smallish house, not one of those ghastly Western prow houses full of wagon wheels and antlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living