Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,893,659 times

Advertisements

These aren't too much of a bad idea... I could never ever live in the 100 sq foot ones.. O_O..
However, looking at the "plans", I scrolled down to cottages. I clicked on what is the largest one "Enesti".At 2 bedrooms, 1 bath the estimated cost is $49,000 for 746 sqare feet. We currently live in a one bedroom apartment that's slightly over 800 sq feet and we feel fine

Anyway, back to my point... how quickly does the price of that estimated $49k shoot up? For example: I have to find SOME spot to build it... so how much will that cost? I'm assuming materials means just to build the house.. well, what about electricity and plumbing?

That 49k, depending on the state (ESPECIALLY NJ!!!) can easily turn into like.. an 80k for 750sq feet, That's just totally not worth it.

These homes are def much more suitable for rural people. Or the suburba/rural crowd. We would personally love to live in Nevada one day.. so I can see this being idea for out there.

Maybe.

EDIT: LOL!!! So on the site they have a cost estimator thing... well, it provided with a "how to guide" to just give you some basics on what the defaults of their homes usually are. Well, after inputting what they suggested..and selecting an area in NJ... after costs, materials, and labor.. my cost for an 842 sq ft 2 bedroom/1 bath home is..$129,241.00... I'm very much aware that it's an "estimate".. but still. The price is kinda ridiculous considering my parents have a 1 (or 1.5/2) acre property with about 1700sq feet....and they bought this home in 2001 for $149k... in NJ..

Last edited by h0tmess; 01-08-2012 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:37 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,110,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think not extra space can be rented rooms. get rid of the junk and replace it with people.
get a smaller car, used, get rid of your gas guzzler. even small drops in consumption have a big affect on price.

It's kinda funny how I see so many people get 'a smaller car' to 'save money' when if they KEPT their car (I know you said used, but there's used and there's used) they would have avoided a car loan, paying for full coverage etc.

I hate gas prices... but it's going to have to get VERY high to make getting something other than my $2,500 truck 'cost effective'! (And then I wouldn't be able to DO anything with it!)
Even small amounts of math have a big effect on the REAL bottom line!

And I'll skip moving people into my house, thanks. At the moment I'm (unexpectedly) sharing a spartan 2 bedroom apartment with another guy as I help a buddy with his business for the rest of the month.

Reminds me why I like living alone!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

3,760 posts, read 5,300,992 times
I have appreciated the many replies to this thread, especially people detailing the sizes of their houses and their experiences with small-house living.

My only request is that people also indicate where they live. In my experience, a small house in the tropics, where I can spend a good deal of time outdoors (under a patio roof, for example) is a lot different than being cooped up in a small house in the sub-Arctic where cabin fever is a very real experience.

For example, I would be hard-pressed again to live in a 500-ft2 house in Alaska, which I did one winter. In the tropics, that size might be big enough.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 AM

41,901 posts, read 74,988,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
These homes are def much more suitable for rural people. Or the suburba/rural crowd.
Or urban infill. These houses would slip nicely into a city-sized vacant lot.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:52 AM

504 posts, read 1,268,774 times
My college dorm room was less than 200 sq ft for two, and I've lived in hotel rooms not much bigger.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 AM

25,800 posts, read 21,969,034 times
I came across this one was really liked the simplicity of it: Turtleback Nomadic Yurts Have to relocate? No problem! I know not everyone can appreciate a simplistic lifestyle but I surely could and have worked toward that for a number of years. I just love this house!

Old 01-14-2012, 07:31 PM

22,699 posts, read 6,414,257 times
No thanks, DH and I will stay in our huge 1640 sq ft rancher, with a basement, and a 3 car garage,
on an acre.....

Old 01-14-2012, 07:40 PM

175 posts, read 295,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock_chalk View Post
My college dorm room was less than 200 sq ft for two, and I've lived in hotel rooms not much bigger.
We have 7 kids...heck, the bus we drive around in is bigger than 200 SF...LOL!

Old 01-16-2012, 01:19 PM

500 posts, read 1,171,600 times
LOL I've always loved the "idea" of these tiny houses, and thought, "That would be great to live in when I'm in my "eating cat food because I have no 401k" retirement years...but when I used their calculator, it told me that I'd end up paying $96884 for their 461 sq ft Whidbey plan (roughly $650 per month when you add in taxes and insurance)...

The house I currently own is 1180 sq ft with a full basement not included in that footage, and a one car attached garage...that I paid $100500 for 2 years ago! Now granted, utilities would be a LOT cheaper, and so would property taxes for a smaller lot, but I don't really think that's worth the trade off!

Not sounding like such a good deal now, eh? If it were the actual $50k price as listed on the website, then sure, but add all the extras of the construction, it ceases to be a frugal deal.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,893,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmjones311 View Post
LOL I've always loved the "idea" of these tiny houses, and thought, "That would be great to live in when I'm in my "eating cat food because I have no 401k" retirement years...but when I used their calculator, it told me that I'd end up paying $96884 for their 461 sq ft Whidbey plan (roughly $650 per month when you add in taxes and insurance)...

The house I currently own is 1180 sq ft with a full basement not included in that footage, and a one car attached garage...that I paid $100500 for 2 years ago! Now granted, utilities would be a LOT cheaper, and so would property taxes for a smaller lot, but I don't really think that's worth the trade off!

Not sounding like such a good deal now, eh? If it were the actual $50k price as listed on the website, then sure, but add all the extras of the construction, it ceases to be a frugal deal.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living