Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 09:32 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,483,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
It was a comment and a question, I hardly see how that puts me into a nutjob category... And yes, it was out of context of frugality, but if you gave me a quarter for every city-data conversation that delineated from a topic I'd probably afford a nice round-trip ticket to Cancun or something. I also pray that we never get to the point where questioning each other's carbon footprint habits becomes normal.. because if that's the case, well, that would have to mean that something really, really terrible precipitated change in powerfully intact cultural customs.
maybe I missed something that was said earlier. I have no problem with conversations going off on tangents. I have a problem with someone talking about his vacations and someone saying "that's an awful lot of environmental damage from all your vacations."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 10:07 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,616,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
maybe I missed something that was said earlier. I have no problem with conversations going off on tangents. I have a problem with someone talking about his vacations and someone saying "that's an awful lot of environmental damage from all your vacations."
Nope. Nothing else to miss. That and that alone was the tangent. Should we get back to the topic yet, or perhaps a couple go arounds over proper and improper conversational divergence??? Personally, I'm satiated.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Nope. Nothing else to miss. That and that alone was the tangent. Should we get back to the topic yet, or perhaps a couple go arounds over proper and improper conversational divergence??? Personally, I'm satiated.
I already said that I don't mind "conversational divergence." nobody should limit their vacations out of concern for their carbon footprint. if you can afford to fly and you want to, then you should fly. people should shout down anyone that tries to say otherwise. a pox on you!

in order to remain on topic, I will say that I fly a plane to 2 week long destinations in a typical year. I try to make sure I go on the least jet fuel efficient airplane that I can find. it isn't unusual for another 1 or 2 trips to be added in depending on what happens.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,997,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Ahem, being frugal is not being a cheapskate. Very different.

As far as our frugal vacations, they can be as easy and simple as a long walk on a local beach and a meal overlooking the sea...it's a day's vacation from our home and responsibilities and we return refreshed--with no cancelled flights and other long-distance travel issues. It's a "stay-cation."
This is important to differentiate. Being frugal has minimal impact on value while a cheapskate is careless about value. Staying at a timeshare with a kitchen is a frugal alternative to staying at a five star hotel. However, staying at a howard johnson is being a cheapskate. Using a coupon to buy a high quality loaf of bread from the local bakery is frugal. Buying a 99 cent mass-produced loaf of bread at Aldi's is being a cheapskate.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:33 PM

7,067 posts, read 12,573,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is important to differentiate. Being frugal has minimal impact on value while a cheapskate is careless about value. Staying at a timeshare with a kitchen is a frugal alternative to staying at a five star hotel. However, staying at a howard johnson is being a cheapskate. Using a coupon to buy a high quality loaf of bread from the local bakery is frugal. Buying a 99 cent mass-produced loaf of bread at Aldi's is being a cheapskate.
Just so. To me, being frugal is getting good and fair value from money spent. It's
spending money wisely. A cheapskate is mean-spirited and squeezes a dime until it bleeds.

Simple pleasures are the best.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:14 AM

164 posts, read 194,798 times
Quote:
However, staying at a howard johnson is being a cheapskate.

Really?

I've never been to a Howard Johnson in the States. But the Howard Johnson I stayed at Taipei was pretty good with first class free (well, it's paid for as part of the package) breakfast buffet which was deemed excellent by everyone I knew that been there. If I were to go to Taipei again, I would definitely be a cheapskate.

But they make KFC and Pizza Hut more upscale in Asia so I wouldn't be surprise if it's the same with Howard Johnson.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,997,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EggWaffle View Post
Really?

I've never been to a Howard Johnson in the States. But the Howard Johnson I stayed at Taipei was pretty good with first class free (well, it's paid for as part of the package) breakfast buffet which was deemed excellent by everyone I knew that been there. If I were to go to Taipei again, I would definitely be a cheapskate.

But they make KFC and Pizza Hut more upscale in Asia so I wouldn't be surprise if it's the same with Howard Johnson.
You're mixing up Howard Hotels and Howard Johnson. Howard Hotels are resort-like. They are not the same brand or company.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:33 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 678,857 times
Zero vacations, home home is my vacation.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Using a coupon to buy a high quality loaf of bread from the local bakery is frugal. Buying a 99 cent mass-produced loaf of bread at Aldi's is being a cheapskate.
yeah, because flour is so much better at the local bakery than it is as aldi.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,270,703 times
That's funny, I don't take vacations in the usual sense

I get paid vacation time, but it is most often spent at home puttering about with projects that interest me.

My wife is a big vacation taker, I believe because that is what her parents did. Mine did not really, other than traveling to visit relatives now and then. We did move a lot for my dad's work, and I tend to associate travel as wonderful when work related (someone else is paying! ) but not something I want to do on my own. The exception was camping when I was younger, that struck me as a vacation activity that was desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living