Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times

Advertisements

I've never figured out how to go grocery shopping without a car, and my life has me driving too far to walk just to check in on my elderly parents or visit my friends. I don't drive every day though, sometimes I go 2-3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 12:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Paranoid much?
I have been driving for 40 years and have never experiences anything like you have described.
You've never gone through a routine police checkpoint, and asked for your drivers license? You don't change your address on your DL? You've never received a single ticket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post

If your walking they can perform a 'terry search'.... Ignorance is no reason to rant.
You'd better go back and read more aboout Terry. Terry can be used only to ascertain whether a person is carrying a concealed weapon, and only when the officer can show that there was an immediate and impending danger to himself or the public by an armed person intending at that time and place to use his weapon.

"The pat-down search must be limited to what is necessary for the discovery of weapons and, if it goes beyond that limit, the fruits of the search will be suppressed."

The officer, even if Terry is applicable, still cannot demand that the suspect show ID or detain him in any other manner. The second half of your comment is, I'm afraid, quite true.

Last edited by jtur88; 01-22-2012 at 12:20 PM..

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You've never gone through a routine police checkpoint, and asked for your drivers license? You don't change your address on your DL? You've never received a single ticket?
It's just not the same up here. Police rarely bother people who aren't grossly breaking the laws. Our speed limits aren't really enforced. We drive 70mph on highways with 30mph limits (Pitt Chick, I'm thinking of Route 28). It's really rare to get pulled over by the police here. You really have to be doing something seriously wrong to be pulled over.

We don't have routine police checkpoints. That's freaky that checkpoints would be routine. I can't imagine what it would be like to live somewhere like that. On Labor Day and Memorial Day, they sometimes set one up in certain areas to catch drunk drivers, but they announce the checkpoints ahead of time so it's easy to avoid them if you want.

For most of my life, my address on my drivers license was my parents' address even though I hadn't lived with them since I was 18. I just never bothered to change it for a couple decades. So, no. I've only changed my address once in my entire life even though I've lived almost 20 different places. I don't see the big deal about having to do it though. Your residence isn't a secret since you have to file with the IRS.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:26 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
You've never gone through a routine police checkpoint, and asked for your drivers license?
Nope. As Hopes mentioned, we don't have that here.

Quote:
You don't change your address on your DL?
I have; you fill out a form; it's no big deal.

Quote:
You've never received a single ticket?
Nope. Never even been stopped by an officer.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:42 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I I don't see the big deal about having to do it though. Your residence isn't a secret since you have to file with the IRS.
It's only a big deal if you drive, and then there is a big deal fine if you don't change it within 30 days. If you don't drive, you never have to give a photo ID with current address to any law enforcement officer. If you do drive, you do. See the difference? You can file IRS at a PO Box or a business address. I haven't filed with the IRS in more than 20 years, during which I've lived in six states.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:50 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
It's only a big deal if you drive, and then there is a big deal fine if you don't change it within 30 days.
If the police are going to go to the trouble of checking where you live and how long you've lived there over a traffic ticket, you're living in a really strange place.

Quote:
If you don't drive, you never have to give a photo ID with current address to any law enforcement officer. If you do drive, you do. See the difference?
You need a photo ID to get a job. You need a photo ID to travel out of the country. You need a photo ID to catch a plane.

Quote:
You can file IRS at a PO Box or a business address. I haven't filed with the IRS in more than 20 years, during which I've lived in six states.
It sounds to me like you're an illegal working under the table who is trying to hide.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:52 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
I lived in Chicago for 7 years and within my first month in Chicago I got rid of the car. I know live back in Ohio and I still don't have a car. I live in a very walkable area. I also live 4 blocks from work.

I don't need a car yet and everything is fine. The only thing hard for me is getting a date. Women seem to not like to date guys without car. Funny thing is, I've dated women without cars. Oh well............

I can't wait to move to NYC.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,103,490 times
As long as everything's been kept up to on a particular car, I've never really had any problems with police.
Semi-trucks, now that there is essentially how the second poster described it. Getting into that drivers seat and crossing into that international zone of "come scrutinize me" land.

Getting back to the original topic, I don't own a car right now and typically only borrow my stepdads or rent one if it's needed.
For the past 7 years, I've been using my bicycle to get personal things done and get to work in jobs outside of the trucking field that I've held.
I owned a used Bronco II for a couple of years, but after some mechanical problems that couldn't be resolved, I gave up, had it scrapped and have pretty much avoided getting another personal vehicle due to all the stress a breakdown ensued.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:40 PM

642 posts, read 1,113,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You dished out money for a public defender? I wonder who you paid, because Public Defenders are free to you.
When you apply for a public defender they have an assessment to determine your income. I ended up paying $700-$1000, not much compared to a lawyer, but no it wasn't free, and if I got scammed they do a very good job of making it appear legit.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We live in a region of the country where biking isn't an option. Too many steep hills.

I went without a car for a few months. Hubby had his but mine died. I didn't mind too much, but it took forever to accomplish the easiest tasks. For example, my child had an appointment with the Dean of his college. The college was 10 minutes away via car. The appointment was 15 minutes long tops. By taking the bus, it took half a day because buses run hourly. A 30 minute event took four hours. It would have only taken 3 hours except the bus broke down on the return trip. We had to get out in town and wait for the next bus.
A lot of hard core bikers would love to live where there are steep hills. Sometimes you can rent a car for those times when there is no other option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living