U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:24 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,780,134 times

Advertisements

I was browsing around at the local goodwill today and I found the prices to be ridiculous! I saw a water bottle I bought from the dollar store marked as $3.25 and an IKEA silverware tray market for $2.25- IKEA sells those for 99 cents! Beat up old coffee tables were $80 and there were a bunch of used dresses marked for around $50-$80. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? It wasn't like this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:28 PM

443 posts, read 743,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
I was browsing around at the local goodwill today and I found the prices to be ridiculous! I saw a water bottle I bought from the dollar store marked as $3.25 and an IKEA silverware tray market for $2.25- IKEA sells those for 99 cents! Beat up old coffee tables were $80 and there were a bunch of used dresses marked for around $50-$80. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? It wasn't like this before.
Yeah you have to be careful. A lot of the time prices can be the same if not higher than buying new elsewhere. I've noticed this as well

Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 PM

1,133 posts, read 3,176,838 times
We have a pretty nice GW store here. It was newly built a few years ago. It's large, clean and well organized. I have gotten many nice things there pretty cheap. Sometimes things are priced much more than I want to pay. Last time I went there I thought that prices seemed higher.

Right now I don't need anything so I'm not going to pay their prices. I'm priced out of GW!

Yard sale season is coming up. I'm more up for yard sale prices. I often go out on my bicycle and stop at some yard sales on Fri & Sat mornings. So if I don't buy anything there is no gas cost and I got some exercise. Last summer my find of the season was a pair of Oakley sunglasses for $1. I was going to sell them on fleabay but I ended up liking them and wearing them.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM

2,110 posts, read 4,048,835 times
Start complaining to the management. If that doesn't help, call their HQ.

Btw... I've noticed that for some reason Goodwill stores in California don't charge sales tax. Every other thrift store I've been in does. Why does Goodwill get special treatment from the state? Are Goodwill purchases tax free in other states?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
Start complaining to the management. If that doesn't help, call their HQ.

Btw... I've noticed that for some reason Goodwill stores in California don't charge sales tax. Every other thrift store I've been in does. Why does Goodwill get special treatment from the state? Are Goodwill purchases tax free in other states?

Not tax free in Illinois or Iowa or Texas.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,262,783 times
Goodwill seems to have become a giant corporate affair. They build huge stores from the ground up here and fill them with a lot of Chinese new stuff to go along with the overpriced donated stuff.

Not the Goodwill of old.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:43 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,349,448 times
Quote:
Not at my little local Goodwill. I was looking at a very nice couch today for $30.00. A couple of months ago, I bought a very nice dresser (one of the older, sturdier ones) for, I think, $30.00. Might have been $20.00.

Occasionally I find something that's overpriced, but for the most part, those are few and far between.

If I need something - clothes for the kid, something for the house - I always check Goodwill first. If we can't find what we're looking for, we'll break down and go to K-Mart (which happened today).

Of course I'm also addicted to the Goodwill auction site. That's where you have to be really careful - sometimes the competitive nature of bidding against other, anonymous people can really jack the prices up.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,266,896 times
Quote:
Yes, I've noticed this as well, last couple of times I looked at the ticket prices on some items, I was like WTH, some of these items are retail priced and above. I too saw items that were exactly what you'd find at the dollar store, selling at GW for two or more times what it sold for originally.

I find better deals at Ross and other discount retail stores these days. Believe me, I understand the store is in the business to support the community, but at the same time, many people that shop there are on extremely low incomes, so might be a good thing for charity to work two fold. I think their prices went up when, a few years ago, shopping at GW became somewhat tready. For a good time, there was a new demographic shopping the isles suddenly. I'm thinking that might be a reflection of the upward pricing, not sure, but, possibly.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,806,658 times
Where else one could buy "Made in USA" jeans and clothing and prices are very reasonable (if you don't really need to shop at GW to survive).

Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 PM

8,874 posts, read 12,917,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Goodwill seems to have become a giant corporate affair. They build huge stores from the ground up here and fill them with a lot of Chinese new stuff to go along with the overpriced donated stuff.

Not the Goodwill of old.
A huge new Goodwill just opened in a pricey suburb north of Tucson recently. They had a grand opening and gave away flat-screen TVs via raffle. Haven't gone because I don't need anything but now I'm really curious as to what's in there.

I'll stop in and report back. Maybe Goodwill has lost some of its stigma with the haves, now that the recession has turned some of them into have-lesses. Perhaps the management is trying to test the limits of their new customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living