Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
$20.00 for ONE pair...versus 10 for 10.00!...uh yeah, I'd say 10 for 10 is the waaay better buy.
(I'm a multi-pack at Walmart person myself.)
A $20 pair of underwear will last a lot longer than ten pairs of $1 underwear. Unless you are OCD about taking care of your clothing (hand washing, hanging to dry) you generally get what you pay for when it comes to clothing. I used to think that "$10 for 10" was a better buy until I realized that $10 for 10 very quickly became $200 for 200. It may be cheaper up front, but in the long run you are going to end up spending a lot more money than you would if you just bought better quality stuff in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 09:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
None. If I need it, I buy it. If I don't, I don't. Occasionally I buy things I want, if I can significantly improve the quality of my life at insignificant cost. Like, I recently bought better speakers for my $100 TV, which sounded like a speakerphone, and for $20, I can now actually understand the dialog in movies.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:38 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
I'm also debating getting an air purifier. I'm wondering if they're worth it.

The other thing I'm debating getting a new sofa set. Not that there's anything wrong with the one we have now- I'm just bored with the color.

Last edited by believe007; 02-18-2012 at 10:59 AM..

Old 02-18-2012, 03:01 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I'm also debating getting an air purifier. I'm wondering if they're worth it.

The other thing I'm debating getting a new sofa set. Not that there's anything wrong with the one we have now- I'm just bored with the color.
They have amazing new things called slipcovers, much less than new furniture

Old 02-18-2012, 03:50 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
I debate continuing to buy Sheishido beauty products. They are the BEST on the market but ghastly expensive. Now that I'm retired and not around people much, I think, why bother spending that sort of money. Eg: face cream is $106 So I'm down to Estee Lauder for about $60. I've tried the cheap stuff like Oil of Olay, etc but it doesn't compare. Not being mean or funny here, this is my experience and the truth! $106 is ALOT of cash!

Old 02-18-2012, 09:25 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
They have amazing new things called slipcovers, much less than new furniture
I don't like slipcovers....they look cheap to me

Old 02-18-2012, 09:48 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
A $20 pair of underwear will last a lot longer than ten pairs of $1 underwear. Unless you are OCD about taking care of your clothing (hand washing, hanging to dry) you generally get what you pay for when it comes to clothing. I used to think that "$10 for 10" was a better buy until I realized that $10 for 10 very quickly became $200 for 200. It may be cheaper up front, but in the long run you are going to end up spending a lot more money than you would if you just bought better quality stuff in the first place.
But if you only buy one pair of underwear you're going to have to wash them every day (at least I hope you are); and, unless you are "OCD about taking care of your clothing (hand washing, hanging out to dry)," all that extra washing is going to significantly shorten the life of your $20 underwear. Plus think of all the extra money spent on soap and water.

My experience with cheap underwear is good. I don't remember exactly when I last bought underwear, but I lost quite a bit of weight in the spring of 2007 so it must have been about then, and I'm just now replacing it. I think I paid something like $7 for a package of 6.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
What's the item you've thought about buying over the years, and still haven't bought....

For me it's an air purifier....and art.
If you have these did you debate buying yours?

I'm always debating buying wants vs. needs. With paying for cable, internet, cell phones.... I feel like a hundred a month or more goes out the window already.....

Anyway....would I LIKE an air purifier?...I think so. My sister has about three. (my nephews have allergies) and whenever I go to her house in NC -- the interior air is so fresh it's like being out side...it's like spring mountain air.

Now, of course maybe my house in the DC area is stuffy -- because I never even CRACK a window open....but let's not complicate matters with facts.

Anyway...I've been seeing some air purifier commercials -- and presentations on HSN and QVC shopping channels, and I'm always tempted, but don't want to spend the money.

PLUS, the purifier would be yet ANOTHER appliance on my electricity, and I'd have to clean it and take care of the filer -- at least every once in a while.

So...even still.....I haven't bought it.

As for the art. I'd LOVE to have some ORIGINAL paintings -- yet some how I think it's wasting money. Just another THING to own. Sure it'd be nice to look at, but I can't buy everything I want just because I'd LIKE to have it. So no art for me.

I HAVE bought some little chotchkas that I love -- dollar store stuff or 10.00 or less -- but real painting art just costs so much. Maybe it's the PRICE that I can't see paying for.
I have two things on my list that get debated now and then. A food saver, because I buy things in 'family size', or bulk, and could use one. And a flat screen TV. The one I have now is fine, is 27", great picture and color so why bother? I'll just keep watching the one I have till it dies. Those two things would likely cost me around $450 and I just don't feel like spending that much if I don't HAVE to.

No art or "chotchkas" here. I don't want anything I have to worry about keeping dusted! I have enough family pics in frames all over the place that I have to clean now and then. I DO have a few Southwestern art pics on my walls but not like I used to have.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:46 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have two things on my list that get debated now and then. A food saver, because I buy things in 'family size', or bulk, and could use one. And a flat screen TV. The one I have now is fine, is 27", great picture and color so why bother? I'll just keep watching the one I have till it dies. Those two things would likely cost me around $450 and I just don't feel like spending that much if I don't HAVE to.
I'm the same way on the TV, maybe even a little more extreme.

Our 27" CRT TV quit recently. We just moved the one in my daughter's room that she never uses into the living room so we're good for now. But while we were debating what to do I saw several bigger CRT TV's on Craigslist for around $50, and Goodwill always has 27" TVs for under $10. So for me the HDTV will just have to wait until everyone else has upgraded and buying a used CRT cheap will no longer be an option.

Hopefully by that time there will be something even better out there so I will be able to buy a castoff 42" flat screen for a little bit of nothing.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:36 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm the same way on the TV, maybe even a little more extreme.

Our 27" CRT TV quit recently. We just moved the one in my daughter's room that she never uses into the living room so we're good for now. But while we were debating what to do I saw several bigger CRT TV's on Craigslist for around $50, and Goodwill always has 27" TVs for under $10. So for me the HDTV will just have to wait until everyone else has upgraded and buying a used CRT cheap will no longer be an option.

Hopefully by that time there will be something even better out there so I will be able to buy a castoff 42" flat screen for a little bit of nothing.
Exactly!! If/when I do upgrade my TV it'll be a 42" and they'll get cheaper or sold cheap enough, used. Not sure I even want HDTV if it's going to make my satellite TV more expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living