Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Some have heard of “frugal Fridays,” but the Dunning family in Davis, Calif., is practicing “frugal February.”

“Since my pockets were empty, it was not a real hard decision to make,” writer Bob Dunning said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business...ney-for-month/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 AM

469 posts, read 1,174,848 times
thats awesome. I bet they have a great experience.

I'm doing somewhat of the same thing, but waaaaay less. I'm trying to stay under my mint budget for the first time ever. Frugal February for me is <$1000. A family of 6 spending nothing is pretty radical though

Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 PM

253 posts, read 557,802 times
I'm sorry I'm not that impressed, these people have a lot of toys and they stocked up on food like mad. If I stocked up like that I'd have a no spend month too. I'm wondering about bills though are they not going to pay them or did they just over pay them the previous month? Looks like they just doubled their spending in January so that they don't spend anything in February, doesn't look like any real savings here.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
I'm sorry I'm not that impressed, these people have a lot of toys and they stocked up on food like mad. If I stocked up like that I'd have a no spend month too. I'm wondering about bills though are they not going to pay them or did they just over pay them the previous month? Looks like they just doubled their spending in January so that they don't spend anything in February, doesn't look like any real savings here.
Yeah, where is the real savings? Did they make sure the stuff they bought on Jan 31 was bought at the lowest possible price?

I haven't been grocery shopping for the past 3 weeks because there have not been any good sales running. Before that I had a few weeks of serious stocking up on loss leader sales, spent maybe $300. The freezers, pantry, and closet is stocked with food bought cheaply. We have been eating out of that for the past few weeks. I won't shop again until something I can use is offered at a rock bottom price. May be a few more weeks....

Old 02-10-2012, 10:10 AM

448 posts, read 1,054,758 times
is not impressed. what would impress me is if the goverment could do that

Old 02-10-2012, 01:27 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Plus, if you read the details of the article, it doesn't say they aren't spending ANY money for the month, just no unnecessary money. They specifically said that they are cutting out things like coffee and movie tickets.

Many people do that every month, anyway, so this isn't really news worthy, imo. It isn't about a lifestyle change, it is just one family saying "let's be LESS wasteful this month".

Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 617,062 times
It says this will save them $1500 - $2000 for the month - THIS is a family with a LOT of disposable income. Holy Cow, I don't make that in a month! They also said they overspent at the holidays. That was only a month and a half ago. Overall, I am not impressed. They do not appear to be struggling and they bought a lot at the holidays.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,102,653 times
Come on folks! Really? You can't give this family credit for departing from their norm? You're only being frugal if you lead a life of total deprivation? I applaud their effort. Spending $1,500 to $2,000 less than they usually spend is going to hurt. I just read in the "Frugal Virgin" thread where someone advised the poster to start small and not try to do too much. Who knows, this may be the beginning of a new lifestyle, and others may be inspired by their efforts, whereas they would be discouraged if they went to the extreme.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:37 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janacanada View Post
This reminds me of those occasional emails that you get requesting not to buy gas on such and such date and if everybody follows the request the gas/oil companies will find out how strong/united we are and will think twice about raising prices, yadda, yadda.... Okay, so fill up your tank the day before and then you can feel good about not buying gas on such and such date.....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:31 PM

253 posts, read 557,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganto_2010 View Post
is not impressed. what would impress me is if the goverment could do that
you're dreaming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living