Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:59 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I do.

But I disagree about the importance of always having a car under warranty. It's a waste of money to constantly have car payments. We've replaced transmissions and engines and still came out far ahead financially.

But it's clearly a luxury you prefer. Everyone is frugal for some reason or another. You're frugal so you can have whatever car you want. That's cool.

Cars depreciate in value so quickly that it's easy to snatch up a deal without a car being super old. As a matter of fact, if it weren't for you constantly trading in your cars, I wouldn't get these great deals.
Fair enough. I've never had a car I haven't owned outright (with the exception of a car I bought for my dad that took 2 months to pay off).

I choose to spend my money on cars and don't really care much about the depreciation. A lot of that has to do with the fact that taxpayers pay for almost half of the cost of my cars.

I'm not one of those people who come here and ask "where does my money go?" or "how can I cut down my spending". Buying a new car probably isn't the most frugal decision.... but this thread is about maintenance.... and frugality isn't always measured in terms of money.

The one thing I don't understand is how people say something is a waste of money. Money is an unlimited resource since it just continuously recycles through the economy.. If you spend more, then you simply go make more. You can't waste something in unlimited supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 12:05 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
I was curious. How many on this forum do all the recommended service on your car?

I used to drive company cars that were leased. So we'd get a new car, drive it 70k miles and get a new one. We never bothered much with maint, except oil changes. So I got in the habit of not doing much maint. other than what was really necessary. Tires, brakes, air filters, oil. Anyone else??. I'm trying to change my ways, as I would like the cars I own now to last awhile. So I'm starting to do more, but I still probably will not change some things like brake fluid.
I pay professionals to do all routine maintenance and repairs on my vehicles in a timely manner or as needed for the repairs.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Actually I also agree with you. I have had 7 new cars and I do understand the feeling of security and peace of mind of driving a new car under warranty. Not to mention the pleasure and the freedom of the road. Fortunately or Unfortunately, I drive so little at 2500 miles a year that a new car and the standard warranties of 3 years (much better with Hyundai at 5 years) would not do much good.

Really buying a new car or any car for me would be a big waste. I am also disabled and that is one of the reasons I do not drive much--at times it is difficult. I do qualify to pickup/returned to my house by the disabled bus which cost is $4.50 a trip. one way. Also I am given a free bus pass on all the buses and trains because it lessen to demand on these disabled small buses and sometimes a disabled can use a regular public bus/train. Limited reduced cab fare is also provided for immediate quicker use. I live with 1/3 mile from the stop but I have trouble walking (one of the reasons I qualify for the disabled bus) and I do use a cane and a walker.

In my situation, use of public transit is necessary, convenient and much cheaper than owning a car. Though I do own and maintain a car--it is old, low mileage, works great, is fully paid, so I just keep it.

Using public transit is not for everyone; not convenient; not cost effective and just not available. However, it does provide a benefit for all as it takes old people off the road who no longer can drive safely. It provides transit for the disabled, the youth and the poor. Also, it give people who drive, more room on the roads and more available parking--if you do not believe me, drive in a city when there is a transit strike.

Public transit is not meant to supplant automobiles but to supplement that means of public transit--for automobiles are also a means of public transit as it needs roads and highways provided by public taxes, just as buses and trains are supported by taxes.

Livecontent
Don't get me wrong... I ride the train from Princeton to NYC for work all the time. I love the train.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:52 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I think there is a very small chance a Prius will have a prolonged low cost of ownership. I would say we are well over 20 yrs behind that mode (NOW have extensive computer & use of plastics (which are 'temporary' parts)

I will stick with my 35 yr old 50 mpg'rs that have done fine, and will continue to do so the rest of my life. I expect to have over a million miles on more than a few of them. (I drive a lot). I have friends in TX who use them for medical courier service and log 100k+ / yr. They seem to be doing fine at 500k and still getting 50 mpg without a need for Dinosaurs or OPEC.
What vehicle that old gets 35 mpg?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
The VW Rabbit! He's a Rabbit fan. In his defense, the Rabbit is from back during the gas shortage in the 70s. It's very possible that it does get good gas mileage because it's super small and was designed for the gas shortage.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
There's no reason it shouldn't. My '85 Corolla was still getting 40 when it had 280K. My current '01 Sentra still gets 38.

If I wanted a car to last me 20 years or 300K, the Prius is the last place I'd go. The battery pack is guaranteed for only 100K and I think they still cost around $5,000 to replace.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
It is good to frugal and keep a car as long as possible as long as it serves the need. However, the need is not just that it runs; the need is not that it still can be maintain cheaply; the need is not that it gets good gas mileage, the need is also if it meets the expanded safety features of today, which they do not.

Most of these old cars do not meet those safety features and can be a death trap in an accident because they lack the support structures for impact resistance, air bags and the restraints. In addition, they lack the most advanced latest safety features that will prevent accidents and fatalities. Some of these safety features such as stability control etc. have just been made mandatory in the 2012 car year.

I know you are going to say that some are heavier and will resist impact better--which all of them do not. However, that is not the only issue; it is the design and resistance at points of intrusion that makes a big difference; there has big changes in engineering today with side impact beams, more air bags, modern seat belts and crumble zones. In addition, the new features that prevent skidding and allow you to keep control of a car in braking and on bad pavements such as stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, brake assist, brake force distribution are extremely important for your safety and the safety of other drivers.

We did have a program to give incentives to get rid of old cars that got very bad mileage. Perhaps we should encourage or even mandate the removal of these old cars off the road for safety issues.

Being frugal and driving a very old car may not be the best idea for your life and the lives of others.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 02-13-2012 at 10:26 AM..

Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Most of these old cars do not meet those safety features and can be a death trap in an accident because they lack the support structures for impact resistance, air bags and the restraints. In addition, they lack the most advanced latest safety features that will prevent accidents and fatalities. Some of these safety features such as stability control etc. have just been made mandatory in the 2012 car year.
OMG! Are you implying that we all should run out and buy 2012 cars?!!?! LMAO.

I don't drive super old cars. I buy cars that are a few years old and I keep them for a few years, so they sometimes end up being about 10 years old by the time I decide to buy another. We always own three cars, one for me and hubby and one for a back up. The back up stays in the garage unless one of the others needs to be repaired. It's usually a 4 wheel drive since we own a second property of 100 acres with a mile long driveway off of a dirt road. The four wheel drive is usually the oldest vehicle we own. It's not an unsafe vehicle. It's a gas guzzling monster that can pull boats, climb rocky mountain roads, and handle any blizzard.

Quote:
We did have a program to give incentives to get rid of old cars that got very bad mileage. Perhaps we should encourage or even mandate the removal of these old cars off the road for safety issues.
In my state, there are classic and antique plates. Older cars that don't have safety features are restricted on the number of miles they can driven per year. These are usually used as hobby cars---going to from car shows, taking an occassional Sunday drive. My neighbor has an awesome GTO he only takes out of his garage about 5 times a year. None of my cars are old enough for classic or antique plates. I wish! That's definitely a hobby for our future retirement years---rebuilding a beautiful muscle car! Rebuilding muscle cars is the ultimate frugal hobby because you make a profit when you sell them.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There's no reason it shouldn't. My '85 Corolla was still getting 40 when it had 280K. My current '01 Sentra still gets 38.

If I wanted a car to last me 20 years or 300K, the Prius is the last place I'd go. The battery pack is guaranteed for only 100K and I think they still cost around $5,000 to replace.
Roughly $3k dealer cost now, and taxi cabs have over 300k miles on them with the original battery. It's really a non-issue.

When we bought our Prius over a comparable Hyundai, we were looking at saving roughly $10,000 in gas over 10 years with the Prius. Even replacing the battery we are still way ahead.

One big thing about newer cars is safety. A new car these days is light years ahead safety wise compared to cars 10 and 20 years ago. I personally am much more willing to pay for safety, as all the frugalness in the world doesn't mean crap if you die in an auto accident.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:29 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
OMG! Are you implying that we all should run out and buy 2012 cars?!!?! LMAO.

I don't drive super old cars. I buy cars that are a few years old and I keep them for a few years, so they sometimes end up being about 10 years old by the time I decide to buy another. We always own three cars, one for me and hubby and one for a back up. The back up stays in the garage unless one of the others needs to be repaired. It's usually a 4 wheel drive since we own a second property of 100 acres with a mile long driveway off of a dirt road. The four wheel drive is usually the oldest vehicle we own. It's not an unsafe vehicle. It's a gas guzzling monster that can pull boats, climb rocky mountain roads, and handle any blizzard.

In my state, there are classic and antique plates. Older cars that don't have safety features are restricted on the number of miles they can driven per year. These are usually used as hobby cars---going to from car shows, taking an occassional Sunday drive. My neighbor has an awesome GTO he only takes out of his garage about 5 times a year. None of my cars are old enough for classic or antique plates. I wish! That's definitely a hobby for our future retirement years---rebuilding a beautiful muscle car! Rebuilding muscle cars is the ultimate frugal hobby because you make a profit when you sell them.
Of course not, we should not go out and buy a new 2012 car. Do not go to the extreme in your response. I am just stating the facts that improvements in safety and engineering are important over the years and should be considered. The safety features in the 2012 cars that were mandated were options in previous years and were found to work well, saved lives and prevent disabilities--nothing wrong with that idea. It is just like all safety and engineering features, as over time they were required with new model years.

Obviously, we all cannot all keep up with all technological advances that occur rapidly especially in the expense of cars. However, driving a very old car, thinking I am so smart, may make you so dead!

What you are doing is smart for your situation and skills in maintaining cars. It makes sense to me. I do not believe in these muscle cars but some people do--they like to show off and waste gas but my opinion is only my opinion. If I had a muscle car at my age, I may attract a young beautiful woman--ahhh, what a thought. My life would become a disaster but a pleasurable disaster.

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living