U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:57 AM

8,035 posts, read 7,056,459 times

Advertisements

I was curious. How many on this forum do all the recommended service on your car?

I used to drive company cars that were leased. So we'd get a new car, drive it 70k miles and get a new one. We never bothered much with maint, except oil changes. So I got in the habit of not doing much maint. other than what was really necessary. Tires, brakes, air filters, oil. Anyone else??. I'm trying to change my ways, as I would like the cars I own now to last awhile. So I'm starting to do more, but I still probably will not change some things like brake fluid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
20,792 posts, read 37,451,783 times
In TX you may not need to change brake fluid. (low humidity)

I only do maint that NEEDS to be done. I get over 300k on my cars, including original clutch (which I only use at stop lights / when necessary.)

I do 20k oil changes and fresh filter every 5k (Synthetic oils).
Fuel filters annual in Fall season.
Brakes when needed (often, as I live in mtns)

My rigs are ultra cheap to maintain. MANY part jobbers for older VW's.
Lots of stuff for under $10 (Ball joints), hoses and belts often under $3.
Diesel power, no plugs / wires / computer problems.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:35 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,122,907 times
The key to keeping maintenance minimal is to never drive an old car.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:08 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
That's not very frugal.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:09 PM

43,012 posts, read 88,958,716 times
We do all of our own maintenance and most repairs too, unless we don't have a tool that would cost more to buy than to take to the shop.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:42 PM

297 posts, read 623,855 times
I do most of my own maintenance / repairs, BUT I do it right!

That is with a factory service manual set of books which you order from the dealer and costs about $150.00 for the set of 4 books. About 2000 pages total on one specific year/model vehicle!

These contain the information your dealer uses for vehicle maintenance and repair.

They also say what maintenance is required depending on the mileage. Like every 15,000 miles do this. At 30,000 miles, do this and that. Etc.

Another tip is to look in the back of your vehicle owner's manual. This will say what *specific* types of fluids to use in your vehicle. Power steering fluid, oil specification, transmission fluid, brake fluid, etc. can be DIFFERENT for different vehicles. If you use the wrong fluid, you can cause damage to a vehicle or cause safety problems.

For example brakes in a small light weight car are different from the brakes in a truck designed to carry heavy loads. The brake fluid can get extremely hot on a long downhill run. Use the correct type fluid!

Replace parts with factory specification parts only - don't go installing "pretty looking" spark plug wires! The factory spec wires are of a specific type for a reason. Your car may not run right with a different type - the spark "electrical noise" can cause vehicle computers to not function properly.

Same with anything else do-it-yourself. Learn how to do it right.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM

11,894 posts, read 14,359,727 times
Who even reads the operating manual? Preventive maintenance is one key to keeping your car running a long time. I even read that keeping your tank full saves wear on the fuel pump. On the other hand if you drive it all the way to the junkyard with original oil, it will get there sooner.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:28 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
Oil does not need to be changed every 3000 miles. Your owner manual will give the recommended intervals, according to the kind of driving you do, which could be anywhere from 5,000 to 7500. If you drive your car 200K miles and change it every 6000 miles instead of 3000, you'll avoid wasting about $1,500. The only people who say it needs to be changed every 3000 are the people who sell oil.

Buy your oil when your auto parts store advertises a special in the flyers (one or the other of the chains always has one on special), and learn to change it yourself or find a nearby repair shop that will charge you about ten bucks to change your carry-in oil and filter (always change the filter).

If you need to go to a drive-in change location, some of them offer a discount on weekday mornings. There are always advertising coupons going around for discounts on those, too. One chain (I think it"s Precision Tune) has a change-only deal, for ten bucks less, in which they just change the oil and back it out, without inspecting or topping up any other fluid levels, which is fine if you know how to check your own fluids, belts, etc.

Last edited by jtur88; 02-12-2012 at 12:36 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 12:54 PM

297 posts, read 623,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Who even reads the operating manual?
I do. I read all instruction manuals for the things I buy. Amazing what you can learn!

Also it is sometimes QUITE interesting to read instructions for things "everyone" knows how to use like a tape measure...
Living | Loose tape-measure rivets improve accuracy | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM

6,717 posts, read 11,166,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
True, you won't spent that much on auto maintenance but you'll pay through the roof for the new car.

Probably the only fool-proof way to pay less for auto maintenance over the long run is to shop around right now for a new car that reputed to have relatively low maintenance costs and high fuel efficiency (Toyota Prius sounds like an ideal choice.) Then drive that car forever (20yrs, 300K miles, whichever comes first.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living