Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:41 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,922,154 times

Advertisements

A product, no matter what it is, is only worth what someone will pay for it.

As long as there are enough frivolous people willing to part with big money for products not worth what they cost, there will be manufacturers lining up to sell them.

Aside from the fact that I don't have $700.00 to spend on a Dyson, my Hoover is doing just fine, TYVM. And a purse for $1,000.00? It isn't even on my wish list if someone else is willing to buy it for me. (Which they aren't)

I can't think of many things - at the moment, not anything - that I'm willing to pay inflated prices to enrich some fat cat who's doing fine without my money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 09:52 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,383,892 times
I get my eye exams at our local shop (but order my glasses online from Zenni). My husband and I have both noticed they have gotten a little more pushy with their frames... they stock Cartier and Tiffany and other really high end stuff. I glanced at some while waiting for the dr - frames in the 750.00 range and up

I just couldn't see paying that much for frames. I do only wear my glasses at home, in the evenings and morning (wear contacts the rest of the time) so I'm not too concerned about style.

But I don't run with a crowd that would be impressed (or likely even notice) expensive frames

I do have a really nice brown Coach purse (bought at the Outlet) and a nice black Brighton purse (bought at GoodWill for $3) that I carry but I'm not sure I'd pay full price for either

Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 AM

297 posts, read 725,306 times
Speaking of "names", I have a lot of fun with "designer name" wall paint.

I ask people to walk into any room anywhere and tell me if the paint on the walls is cheap Walmart or expensive Ralph Lauren or something else.

No one can tell after it is painted...

Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,383,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post

I ask people to walk into any room anywhere and tell me if the paint on the walls is cheap Walmart or expensive Ralph Lauren or something else.

I have used several of the Pottery Barn colors over the last couple years but only becasue our pottery barn demos the colors in their store and and since they also have outdoor windows I kinda get to see the color in different light conditions But the paint itself is Benjamin Moore.

I guess the paint in my daughters room could be considered "Designer" - it's Serena and Lily. I was on bedrest from day one of my pregnancy and spent the last several months of it hospitalized so I just ordered the sample and then the paint online..

Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 AM

3,034 posts, read 7,910,634 times
We have used our Revereware copper bottom now for 57 years,still as good as new,weddimg gift.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:42 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
I think women pay way to much on makeup and hair styling and manicures and pedicures and fake tans and waxing and teeth bleaching and eyelash extensions and... on and on...

People are looking weird these days! Oh my gosh! Nobody looks real anymore. It's all fakery. And it's really expensive. And for what? So men find you attractive? So you can look like one of the Desperate Housewives? It's really silly.

I have within the past year begun to indulge myself once in a blue moon (pineapple pedicure in Hawaii, got my hair cut once in a salon instead of cutting it myself...) but there are women that spend gobs of money weekly and/or monthly on these so-called beauty treatments. I think it's very wasteful, harmful to the environment, sets a bad example for younger girls, and is way WAY too expensive.

Also - I would never spend more than $100 on a vacuum. I LOVE my heavy duty Bissell that I got on sale and with a store coupon for $99. I've had this for 5 years now and it still works good as new. I have two boys and two long-haired cats that shed like crazy and I vacuum at least every other day. We also live in Oregon where lots of dirt and mud gets tracked into the house - this vacuum is a tough one, and a keeper!

I also think people spend too much money on their homes (buying more home than they really need), and on their cars (buying new ones; not keeping them for very long).

Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow4yield View Post

Agreed. What's more important than the "name" is the amount of air pollution caused by the paint - which can happen long after the paint dries. I don't look for a brand name - I look for how much it off-gases. I look for low VOC paint.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:34 PM

22,629 posts, read 24,486,042 times
Macadamia nuts........I love them.......but rarely buy them anymore.

A small jar....maybe 6-7 ounces.....eight bucks and up........forget it.

Old 03-06-2012, 08:53 PM

61,430 posts, read 86,526,431 times
I would not buy myself:
Movie tickets
Luxury Designer Label Clothing ( like Manolo Blahnik shoes, Hermes handbags or Coco Chanel suits)
Expensive drinks/cocktails at a bar/restaurant like Seablue Martini or Liquid Gold I had in Las Vegas
Any of the stuff at Starbucks or other "trendy" places

Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,744,044 times
Paying hundreds of dollars for a ticket to a single sporting event. A friend of mine will think nothing of spending hundreds (even thousands) to sit in the front row of major sporting events, yet he will break out his tip calculator at restaurants. I refuse to throw away that sort of money for sporting events.

Vacations are often overrated to me as well. Spending thousands of dollars to fly to some touristy, overcrowded theme park or resort for a week or so is a waste of money. The aggravation that comes with air travel, crowds, sleeping in strange beds, eating at mediocre restaurants, and paying nearly double for everything detracts from the experience. Then you get home you are drained and need a mini-vacation to recover from the vacation you just spent thousands on with nothing to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living