U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,347,832 times

Advertisements

This is happening at my local Goodwill and may be happening at all of them.

When I went there last night, as I walked into the store, an employee handed me a BIG brown bag and said anything I could stuff in that bag was half off (except any of the new merchandise).

Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this sale before I got there and I got a late start into town, so my son and I just kind of hurried through the store.

My son got a couple of books (the main reason we went there) and a really nice pair of shoes. I got a very nice DVD player to replace the one I have in my bedroom that had just crapped out - and I spent twelve bucks total.

I'm not sure when the sale started, and when we were there a lot of the shelves were picked pretty clean, but I just thought I'd pass this on as a head's up in case any one wants to check out their own local Goodwill.

My son is going back there today with a friend of his to see if there's anything else he could use, especially in the way of books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 03:45 PM

37 posts, read 121,039 times
I have never heard of that before. I live in southern California. Mostly out here they do tag sales. When I was speaking to an employee, she said they are only allowed to have the items on the shelfs for a certain amount of time. So when they are pricing the items, the put different color stickers on them. When the items time is almost up, they put that color sticker on sale. i have seen things between 50-75%. For them, any money is better than no money. In your case, this was probably what was happening. Either the items were on the shelves for too long or they had received a big shipment and needed to make space.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,347,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerkim View Post
I have never heard of that before. I live in southern California. Mostly out here they do tag sales. When I was speaking to an employee, she said they are only allowed to have the items on the shelfs for a certain amount of time. So when they are pricing the items, the put different color stickers on them. When the items time is almost up, they put that color sticker on sale. i have seen things between 50-75%. For them, any money is better than no money. In your case, this was probably what was happening. Either the items were on the shelves for too long or they had received a big shipment and needed to make space.
It was just for that one weekend and I have no idea if it was for all Goodwills or just my local one. It may be that, like you said, they had too much stuff on the shelves and needed to unload as much as they could.

I've seen them do something similar when they've gotten kind of backed up on furniture.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:01 PM

33,542 posts, read 51,750,301 times
You have to watch the prices at Goodwill. Lots of the "new" items from Target, Macy's etc. like lamps, shelving, bed covers, bathroom items, small kitchen appliances or dishes, window covers - are badly overpriced and often more expensive that in the regular store.
When I see something interesting, I usually google it on my phone to see the regular price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living