Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:52 PM

39 posts, read 52,070 times

Advertisements

you are right when the hubby was in the hospitalfor 3 weeks I listened to my ipod and the radio. I didn't even watch TV.I do enjoy movies and redbox aand netflix are great options for new releases. Of course you have to wait 28 days after they come out but who cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 01:31 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
We just cancelled Hulu Plus and Netflix, same old tired movies...nothing new out. We can watch TV shows on their network sites on the computer. Plus, we listen to a lot of radio news and read news online. There really is no "need" for TV. Real life living is better anyway.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Zaksarah, we disconnected our satellite a year and a half ago, and never looked back. We did get an antenna. What we did was call one of the major television stations. I talked to one of the engineers there, and he suggested the one to purchase. We live outside of the main viewing area, but by purchasing the antenna he suggested, we have been able to get all of the local channels, plus some that weren't available on satellite. We also get about 5 PBS channels. Love those! However, I watch Netflix on my television most of the time. I hardly ever watch movies, but they have lots of old tv shows that I like. I find that I watch less television than I used to, which isn't a bad thing.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:51 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Which one did he recommend?

Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We tried this one.

Antennacraft HD1200 Heavy-Duty VHF/UHF/FM Antenna : Antennas | RadioShack.com

Old 06-17-2012, 10:37 AM

39 posts, read 52,070 times
Did it work for you? I talked to a person whom installs cable.satalites.internet and antennas. He gave me a quote of $350-$450 for and antenna. I don't have that kind of money. I would like to get the antenna and install myself. I have all the wiring from the satalite. Can I use that to hook it to the antenna or do I have to rewire. If I have to rewire no problem I hate crawling around the attic.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:47 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksarah View Post
Did it work for you? I talked to a person whom installs cable.satalites.internet and antennas. He gave me a quote of $350-$450 for and antenna. I don't have that kind of money. ...
See posts #37 and #40.

We bought the best antenna Radio shack carries, mounted it on a pole on the roof. Installed a signal amplifier and digital converter.

No, it did not work for us.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 AM

67 posts, read 435,808 times
Forest; I live about 50 miles northwest from the same TV stations that you're trying to get. I have a large multi-directional antenna mounted on the roof with a pre-amp and rotor. I'm able to get all local Bangor stations (CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, Fox, and PBS). Sometimes, depending on weather, I might get dropouts when my signal strength falls below 60%.

For my research on what type of antenna to get, I went to an 'antenna web' site and it gives you your recommended antenna based on your coordinates.

Could it be that you have 'too much power' since you're so close to Bangor? According to the same web site, a too powerful antenna can lead to poor reception due to interferrence from distant stations. But there are a lot of variables that affect whether you get a signal or not.

Zaksarah; a good start is the web site that I mentioned. There's a lot of good info out there. We did have someone come and install the antenna, as I didn't want to deal with getting up on the roof, nor dealing with the grounding issues (required). I do think that the same cable that you had for your satellite will work for your antenna. Ours was RG6, but I think the installer installed new anyway. And yes, with the antenna, rotor, pre-amp, installation, etc.. total cost was about $600.

I would like to look for more power (insert Tim Allen 'more power' sound effect here)...

Good luck, and I hope it works out. Getting rid of satellite was the best thing. Now I don't just hold the remote scrolling through 200 channels of pure crap, and paying $75 a month to do it. The network stations have some very good shows, and that with Netflix (etc.) is working out very well.

Old 06-17-2012, 03:13 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksarah View Post
Did it work for you? I talked to a person whom installs cable.satalites.internet and antennas. He gave me a quote of $350-$450 for and antenna. I don't have that kind of money. I would like to get the antenna and install myself. I have all the wiring from the satalite. Can I use that to hook it to the antenna or do I have to rewire. If I have to rewire no problem I hate crawling around the attic.
Yes you can. I ordered a $49 antenna from Amazon (good for 30 miles) and paid my landscaper $40 to install it and connect it right to satellite connections. Took him 30 minutes. You first need to go to this web site

TV Fool

and put in your address. It will then show you what channels are available to you and the distance you are from them. In some major cities where they are close, even rabbit ears will work. Great HD by the way.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:15 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
I think the engineer we spoke with said it was a "basket" antenna? I'm not really sure. However, DH ordered it off of ebay, and I think it was around $100. Works great. We get all of the major networks, plus several others like retro television. We also get about 4 PBS stations which are great and 5 religious stations which I could live without, lol. But total we get about 20 or so.

We also have a Roku system, which was a one time charge of $65 for the box. It's great! We have wireless internet and can watch Netflix and tons of other stuff on there. Oh, and Netflix costs us about $8.00 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living