Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 10:23 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times

Advertisements

I have a converter box as well as a cheap pair of rabbit ears, which are on top of my TV and only about 3-4 feet from the nearest window.

My problem is that some of the LA TV stations which should come in rather easily don't from time to time, which means I have to run a scan to reprogram them into the converter box, and miss around 5-7 minutes of programming.

i also get a lot of choppy video from several TV stations, and having to move the antenna constantly to stop the TV images from freezing is also really aggravating.

Should I buy a more expensive antenna, and what did you folks who also ditched your cable or satellite TV wind up spending on your antenna?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 10:50 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
I ditched cable 2 years ago and I don't miss it. Well, I live in corporate apartments now because of my husbands relocation to a new city and they are paying for our cable. All I do is flip through channels. I cant find anything interesting.Before we came here 3 weeks ago we had rabbit ear antennas at our old apartment. We had the cheap antennas and switched to the more expensive once but that made no difference really.My husband insisted we should switch but in the end we got the same channels. But we get at least 4 solid channels with few interruptions but the rest are pretty bad.
We do subscribe to Netflix for 8 bucks per month.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:41 AM

297 posts, read 726,216 times
Los Angeles has areas with hills and that can block signals.

I would suggest calling the specific TV stations and tell them your specific location, ask what kind of antenna to get, how high up it should be mounted, and if you need a TV signal amplifier. Also what direction to point the antenna.

They may be able to refer you to a web site with that information for LA. Or a store which has maps and so forth for where to point antennas.

Here is one station which the web page says its transmitter is located atop Mount Wilson...
KTLA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also get "Free-to-Air" satellite TV, but you need to be sort of a rocket scientist to aim those dish antennas at satellites 25,000 miles away in space, then set up the frequencies in the receivers. But here is info on that...
Free-to-air - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FTA Receivers | Free To Air Satellite | Free Satellite TV

Free To Air (FTA) Discussion

Old 03-15-2012, 08:05 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We do not have cable in our town.

We decided to not pay for satellite programming.

When they stopped high-power TV broadcast, everyone in our town lost signal. Some shifted to paying for satellite dishes, some did not.

Websites that show where they think the low-power TV broadcast signals should be reaching, show our town as getting signal. Yet nobody can. We tried. We could not get signal.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:19 AM

307 posts, read 630,791 times
I don't have cable and the TV antenna I bought doesn't work very well. I usually just watch TV shows the day after they air over the internet on hulu.com.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,367,597 times
First go here to see what channels are available and if you have mostly UHF signals or both UHF & VHF. If there is anyway of hooking up an antenna on a roof gable or the side of a building do that. Here is one I used and got good results. Comes with bracket. Very easy install.

Amazon.com: RCA ANT751R Outdoor Antenna Optimized for Digital Reception: Electronics

This is another good one. Can be put in attic as well.
Amazon.com: Antennas Direct ClearStream4 HDTV Antenna: Electronics

Indoor antenna's. Here are your best bets. Best if you can put in window.

Amazon.com: Paper Thin Leaf Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in the USA!: Electronics

or this one in your window (but more cumbersome)

Amazon.com: Winegard FreeVision FV-30BB HDTV Antenna: Electronics

I have tried all, and they are about best for the money. If you can get some decent reception with rabbit ears, than these should work good for you.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:08 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We do not have cable in our town.

We decided to not pay for satellite programming.

When they stopped high-power TV broadcast, everyone in our town lost signal. Some shifted to paying for satellite dishes, some did not.

Websites that show where they think the low-power TV broadcast signals should be reaching, show our town as getting signal. Yet nobody can. We tried. We could not get signal.

Sound like an exciting place to live!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:14 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Sound like an exciting place to live!
I think that TV was a great invention for it's time, though it's programming has had an effect on our society.

Today the WWW offers a lot of entertainment.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:46 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I dumped cable/satellite a couple years ago and decided to get a digital antenna. I live in the city so it should be no big deal. Wrong. I bought several digital antennas and I can get no local channels at all. So I just did without.

I recently got satellite back and I've been having fun watching TV again. But I got a really good deal. If it goes up in price, it will be gone.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Check antennaweb.org which will tell you what kind of antenna you need in order to get which stations. Having an antenna OUTSIDE the window will help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living