U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 12:40 PM

2 posts, read 18,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I have a converter box as well as a cheap pair of rabbit ears, which are on top of my TV and only about 3-4 feet from the nearest window.

My problem is that some of the LA TV stations which should come in rather easily don't from time to time, which means I have to run a scan to reprogram them into the converter box, and miss around 5-7 minutes of programming.

i also get a lot of choppy video from several TV stations, and having to move the antenna constantly to stop the TV images from freezing is also really aggravating.

Should I buy a more expensive antenna, and what did you folks who also ditched your cable or satellite TV wind up spending on your antenna?

Thanks!
I have the same exact problem (in Los Angeles), I spent about 80 bucks on an antenna and all i get is asian and spanish speaking stations.
I use Netflix and am very happy with it, problem is the misses isnt, but shes gonna just have to deal with it, we are trying to save every penny we can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 04:48 PM

3,453 posts, read 1,921,185 times
I live in Orlando and get stations that are about 50-60 miles away. You might look at putting the antenna in your attic. I bought a digital antenna from amazon for 50 dollars. I can't find the brand name on it, but it worked great right out of the box. There are a few web sites devoted to ota antennas, locations etc...on the web. They recommend different antennas. You might watch Craigslist and Estate sales. Those antennas usually go for a song. I sometimes lose the picture for unknown reasons but I don't really care since it is free.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:27 PM

18 posts, read 18,905 times
When I was in college I went to a two year school and it was "free" when I transfered to a four year school I had pay for Comcast I split it with my roommate so it wasn't bad but then I had a single room for my last year so I was cheap and didn't get cable. It didn't bother me really. I prefer the internet. You can always watch network shows on their website if you're desperate or old shows on youtube. I don't know if I'll ever get cable maybe just get Netflix and pay for that when I get time. Cable is so expensive in my opinion i don't know how they can justify it but again thats my opinion.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 PM

5,348 posts, read 2,481,609 times
For those of you who purchased a Roku box, can you please list what you get for your $$$ as it relates to free stuff vs. stuff you have to pay for?

I know that you can subscribe to Netflix for $9.00 a month or thereabouts, but I was wondering what else do you get for your money?

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:36 PM

2,116 posts, read 1,615,431 times
Quote:
For those of you who purchased a Roku box, can you please list what you get for your $$$ as it relates to free stuff vs. stuff you have to pay for?

I know that you can subscribe to Netflix for $9.00 a month or thereabouts, but I was wondering what else do you get for your money?

Thanks!
There's tons of stuff...mostly older episodes or movies. Wayyyy too many to list though.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 AM

47,585 posts, read 36,189,031 times
I have a digital antenna that cost less than $20 and it gets ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and FOX affiliated stations with two stations each plus about triple that many Mexican stations which can be deleted. I pay under $9 for Netflix and we can get DVDs from Red Box for $1 if all that isn't enough.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 4,740,741 times
If you own a smart TV or your purchase a smart TV box to connect to your present TV, there's lots of free programs and movies available there as well.

Here is a sample of these boxes at Best Buy:

Smart Set-Top Boxes: WD TV HD media players, Roku, Boxee - Best Buy

Old 02-23-2013, 11:03 PM

5,348 posts, read 2,481,609 times
The description on the best Buy website states that you must have an HDTV in order to use those 'Smart TV' units such as the Roku box.

Is that correct?

Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,615,431 times
Quote:
The description on the best Buy website states that you must have an HDTV in order to use those 'Smart TV' units such as the Roku box.

Is that correct?
They make Roku's for regular tv's. We have a non HDTV upstairs and it works fine. They do sell a HD roku though.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 AM

863 posts, read 864,832 times
^Yep I have a regular tv and use my roku.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living