Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM

63 posts, read 51,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
Why don't they disable the Welfare program for the lazy and for the people who continues to have kids but can't afford it?
Because it would result in dead babies.

Old 04-24-2012, 03:50 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
I will pay more for better quality items that will save me money down the road. Hubby insisted we get a good quality pair of front loading washer/dryer that handles large loads. We also got the gas dryer instead of electric. Best money we could have spent. I've saved a boatload on utilities and can wash the king size blankets.

I just bought a new cell phone Nokia Lumia 900. I haven't purchased a new phone in 8 years. I got in on the $99 deal with the $100 rebate from AT&T. The free applications are powerful tools that make my life easier. And I will have it until it isn't supported - or I drop it in water : (

I buy classic clothes that will last awhile, but I also buy low quality fad clothes at a dirt cheap price. They wear out about the time the fad is gone.

When I invested in business clothes - I discovered that the better I looked at work, the better I felt, and the better I performed. I am also taken seriously. As a result, my salary and benefits doubled in 7 years. I would say that is a good investment.

I drive a cheap commuter car. I did purchase it new, but at 0%. It was the prior model year. It also include free maintenenace for 25k miles. It's no BMW, but I keep it looking nice and the fuel economy is great.

Just because I'm frugal, doesn't mean I'm cheap.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:26 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,507,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Why? So we can be a country that doesn't mind letting millions of children starve because of poor choices their parents made and people like you who don't care?
Earth is already over populated More people means we need more resources and it cost money.

Why should a high earner, hard worker with higher education have to pay for the parent(s) who made poor decisions?

Old 04-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Because it would result in dead babies.
They should put a cap on it. Why should someone else be responsbile for the babiesother then the parent(s)?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:45 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
They should put a cap on it. Why should someone else be responsbile for the babiesother then the parent(s)?
Whatever.

You're not "responsible" for anybody's children. But when the parent fails to care, you grow a heart - granted the the baby is still alive and moving right there in front of your eyes.
If you refuse to grow it, you're deplorable in my book - but that's a different story.

Now, since you're asking...while I certainly agree to do my share of sacrifice to save a child whose parents simply DO NOT CARE, I would at the same time expect FEROCIOUS population control policies, so that such people would be prevented IN THE FIRST PLACE from giving birth to babies who would then end up in my metaphorical lap.

I can surely not turn my back to a struggling little human already born and who exists right there, in front of my eyes;
but at the same time, I can certainly support all sorts of birth control measures I could think of, including abortions of ALL kinds.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:06 PM

Right, but the people who were responsible should not have to pay for the careless ones. When the parent fails to care they were not ready to have a child. The child should be taken away from the irresponsbile parent so the baby is in better hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Whatever.

You're not "responsible" for anybody's children. But when the parent fails to care, you grow a heart - granted the the baby is still alive and moving right there in front of your eyes.
If you refuse to grow it, you're deplorable in my book - but that's a different story.

Now, since you're asking...while I certainly agree to do my share of sacrifice to save a child whose parents simply DO NOT CARE, I would at the same time expect FEROCIOUS population control policies, so that such people would be prevented IN THE FIRST PLACE from giving birth to babies who would then end up in my metaphorical lap.

I can surely not turn my back to a struggling little human already born and who exists right there, in front of my eyes;
but at the same time, I can certainly support all sorts of birth control measures I could think of, including abortions of ALL kinds.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:25 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Off topic and now closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living