U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:13 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,652,650 times
Default If I discontinue cable/satellite how do you continue to watch

History channel, H2, AMC, National Geographic, Military, IFC, TCM etal? Well, in my opinion, channels which do offer good programming on occasion or in the main.

I looked through Hulu.com and they really tend to have mostly medicore selections.

PBS and local news can be had via antenna. I do not know of anything else worth watching from the other network channels.-ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox.

I mean of course legally and ethically. No torrents downloads or piracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:00 AM

1,666 posts, read 1,076,866 times
You can get a lot of full featured episodes on The History Channel on your computer. Same with cable news, and there are other channels available on your computer, but non of the ones you mentioned other than the History Channel. Someone mentioned this on another forum yesterday. I don't know anything about it, but it appeared to have a lot of stuff. Did not do much but take a quick look.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:28 AM

70,973 posts, read 31,396,284 times
History channel videos:

Watch History Full Episodes & Videos Online - History.com

Just look up the channel you are interested in and see if they have shows/videos posted on their site.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:00 AM

443 posts, read 371,294 times
you could also try Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Amazon Prime (yesterday i think) added a lot of Discovery Channel shows, and you can probably get the older History Channel shows via mail using Netflix, possibly some others from the other networks you mentioned

Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,540,072 times
You could take the money you save and stop watching and go do things outside of your living room

Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM

I live a fairly balanced life and make time for all good things. I just want to know if there are alternatives to cable/sat and still be able to view programing from the better networks mentioned above. I am interested in frugality but not living like a shrew.

The answer is mostly no.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,540,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I live a fairly balanced life and make time for all good things. I just want to know if there are alternatives to cable/sat and still be able to view programing from the better networks mentioned above. I am interested in frugality but not living like a shrew.

The answer is mostly no.
I dumped cable for the over the air hd programing...I like it!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM

7,884 posts, read 19,810,957 times
I dumped DISH network ($60/month) for Hulu and Netflix and some of the other on-line services through a ROKU receiver. I get to watch all the programs I care to see for under $20/month now.

When I travel, many locations have a cable hook-up for my RV. I've hooked that up about 20 times in the last 6 months and wound up surfing the channels ... only to find nothing of particular interest on, so I turned my TV off and read my books/magazines. What it has proven to me is that there's very little of immediate interest to me on the air which justifies that old $60/month subscription service.

Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM

1,114 posts, read 793,419 times
Go to the library and check out DVDs. It's free and they probably have everything you want.

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Go to the library and check out DVDs. It's free and they probably have everything you want.
Speculation. I know what the library has.

I asked a straightforward question and there are limited responses.

Ok. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living