U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-01-2012, 12:39 PM
 
542 posts, read 310,027 times
Reputation: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Dr. Phil had this guy on his show Friday. his wife said he was the cheapest man in the world. Here were some things she said he does.

He pulls grapes off the stem and puts them in a bag before buying them so he isn't paying for the stem. Dr. Phil got a grape stem and weighed it and said based on the average cost of grapes, the stem cost 11 cents.

He takes ketchup packets from fast food places and squeezes them into a ketchup bottle so he doesn't have to buy ketchup. He even stops into places and gets packets without buying any food.

He once gave his wife flowers. she thought that was nice, until she saw a sympathy card inside and he admitted he got them from a trash dumpster behind a funeral home.

When they eat out, he asks other diners if he can have food they aren't eating to take home with him. He said about 90% of people do give him their food.
Seems like he puts a lot of time and effort into saving pennies. And the safety issues with eating strangers leftovers makes me nauseated. Hope he has good health insurance!

 
Old 04-01-2012, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Westcoast
313 posts, read 207,401 times
Reputation: 388
This isn't about being frugal or even a cheepskate ~ it's absolute b---s---! Maybe even a mental illness.
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,727 posts, read 2,659,776 times
Reputation: 1860
Was this they guy that was on Extreme Cheapskates? Because that guy did very similar things - he gave his wife flowers he got out of a dumpster, and a tea kettle too.

However, what got me was him asking other people for thier leftovers. That's just disgusting IMO.
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
Status: "Hopeful" (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Somewhere on the east coast
1,232 posts, read 1,203,580 times
Reputation: 1034
It might be disgusting but at least the food doesnt go to waste. Working at restaurants I have seen people waste so much food that they dont even want to take home. Im surprised when customers waste expensive food like steak, shrimp, crab cakes, and scallops especially with the way the economy is. Some people would be grateful to eat food like that.
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:42 PM
 
20,097 posts, read 14,664,525 times
Reputation: 9118
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
It might be disgusting but at least the food doesnt go to waste. Working at restaurants I have seen people waste so much food that they dont even want to take home. Im surprised when customers waste expensive food like steak, shrimp, crab cakes, and scallops especially with the way the economy is. Some people would be grateful to eat food like that.
There's an excess of food in the US. It's hardly wasting. The people who really need the food are in third world countries. Our leftovers aren't going over there.
 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:49 PM
 
Location: The Cascade Foothills
10,834 posts, read 3,525,092 times
Reputation: 6207
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Was this they guy that was on Extreme Cheapskates? Because that guy did very similar things - he gave his wife flowers he got out of a dumpster, and a tea kettle too.

However, what got me was him asking other people for thier leftovers. That's just disgusting IMO.
I don't watch the show but it all sounds very similar to another thread we had about it a couple of months ago.

Perhaps this thread is in reaction to the show being shown as a rerun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
It might be disgusting but at least the food doesnt go to waste. Working at restaurants I have seen people waste so much food that they dont even want to take home. Im surprised when customers waste expensive food like steak, shrimp, crab cakes, and scallops especially with the way the economy is. Some people would be grateful to eat food like that.
I hate to waste food. I'm almost compulsive about it and I don't know why. I was raised in a typically middle class family and never went hungry as a kid but I sure hate to see food wasted and have always told my own kids, "I don't care how much you put on your plate but don't take more than you can eat."

Last weekend, I grilled a couple of big chicken breasts for my son and myself and my son didn't finish all of his. I had no problem putting it in the refrigerator until the next day when I sliced it up for a nice sandwich for myself.

I treated myself to breakfast out this morning and brought home half my omelet. I would never dream of leaving perfectly good food on my plate, at least if there's enough to make it worth my while. I wouldn't bother with a couple of bites - unless my dog was waiting for me in the car and then I will wrap the little bit up and take it to her.
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Planet Eaarth
8,958 posts, read 7,591,174 times
Reputation: 7193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Dr. Phil had this guy on his show Friday. his wife said he was the cheapest man in the world. Here were some things she said he does.

He pulls grapes off the stem and puts them in a bag before buying them so he isn't paying for the stem. Dr. Phil got a grape stem and weighed it and said based on the average cost of grapes, the stem cost 11 cents.

He takes ketchup packets from fast food places and squeezes them into a ketchup bottle so he doesn't have to buy ketchup. He even stops into places and gets packets without buying any food.

He once gave his wife flowers. she thought that was nice, until she saw a sympathy card inside and he admitted he got them from a trash dumpster behind a funeral home.

When they eat out, he asks other diners if he can have food they aren't eating to take home with him. He said about 90% of people do give him their food.
People like this are NOT frugal. They are skinflint scrooges that are mentally ill with a broken moral compass. True story!!
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:06 PM
 
4,863 posts, read 5,330,665 times
Reputation: 3403
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
It might be disgusting but at least the food doesnt go to waste. Working at restaurants I have seen people waste so much food that they dont even want to take home. Im surprised when customers waste expensive food like steak, shrimp, crab cakes, and scallops especially with the way the economy is. Some people would be grateful to eat food like that.
Have they heard of "doggie bags?" ...I always take 1/2 my food home because I can never eat the portions most restaurants serve....
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Texas
27,684 posts, read 22,004,640 times
Reputation: 32718
I kind of like the idea of him taking home the restaurant food. I take home my own...don't think I could wrap my head around taking home someone else's...

Some grocery store owes me 11 cents x a billion...wow...

Lol...
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,727 posts, read 2,659,776 times
Reputation: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Have they heard of "doggie bags?" ...I always take 1/2 my food home because I can never eat the portions most restaurants serve....



Exactly. Just because I think asking others for their leftovers is digusting, it does not mean I like to, or DO, waste food. I always take leftovers home. I would never waste them. However, I am not about to touch other people's food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top