Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:52 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for the past couple of weeks for a good used older truck. I knew that we were not going to find "exceptional" for $2500-$3000 but assumed that we would find "decent".

We spent many hours driving all over "hell and half of Georgia" looking at trucks that were a POS. We tried to do due diligence - looked at pictures and read descriptions, contacted the owners, had them send more pictures, asked all the right questions. Many we discounted after that process - too many miles, too many expensive repairs required, body in too rough shape.

But there were a handful that looked from the pictures and sounded from the description like they had potential. And so we drove to look at them and they were awful. Tight truck doesn't mean that they leak from every valve and gasket that can possibly leak. Or that even though you told us the air works and the tires were good they weren't when we got there. It doesn't mean that the truck is rusted from one end to the other and you carefully hid the rust in the pictures (did you think we wouldn't notice?). Or that tires one step away from balding have 60-70% tread left on them. Or that since you said it has 160,000 miles on the engine it very likely has 260,000 miles on it.

And maybe I'm cheap (OK I'm cheap but I'm also reasonable) but a truck with 250,000 miles is not worth $9000. And a carefully pictured rust bucket that leaks wherever a leak could possibly be and has coat hanger and a curtain rod holding something up and off the ground under it is not worth $2500. At least not to me. And probably very few other schmucks either.

We ended up finding a great 1997 Ford F-250 with 140,000 miles, a great paint job, no leaks, good working transmission and motor, and working air and happily paid the $2500 it cost. We ended up driving 2 hours each way to get it but it was worth it.

People lie, lie, lie and look you straight in the eye while they're doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
used cars are too risky for me and since everyone thinks its the most economical route these days, i think they are overpriced.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:15 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
used cars are too risky for me and since everyone thinks its the most economical route these days, i think they are overpriced.
They are definitely overpriced right now. I guess because people are hanging onto their vehicles as long as possible so there are fewer used vehicles out there (and maybe the Cash for Clunkers deal killed off a lot of useable older vehicles as well).

They're also overpriced (at least in Tennessee) because there are a bunch of folks buying-to-sell (similar to "flip this house" deals).

But they are also overpriced (IMO) because people generally are just trying to rip other people off. We drove hundreds and hundreds of miles after long conversations with the owners who outright lied to us. Wasted our time and gas and we didn't buy them because my husband knows a lot about older vehicles and quickly found out what pieces of junk they were. But there are a ton of people who don't know a lot about vehicles who will get ripped off, and in this day and age when times are tough for everyone, people who knowingly rip off really tick me off. That's life but it still ticks me off.

There ARE still honest people out there though, who take care of their vehicles, are honest about what they have, and are not trying to rip people off. This is the frugal section of the forum so I put this thread here. Many people can't afford new vehicles. Buyer (as always) beware.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:19 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
I think you're right, Cash for Clunkers killed off the market. The government wanted more fuel efficient vehicles, with black boxes that spy on us, driving around.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
As years go by mnay more are drivig their vehicles longer and longer. Mnay of the truck available are commercial vehicles that are worn basically out that I have seen.One reason new truck are still selling well.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
There are a lot of factors. Cash for clunkers. Lots of people trashed their credit within the last 4-5 years, so they're cash-only buyers, and they are driving up demand for used cars. People hanging onto cars longer. And it's the high season for car purchases (tax refunds, before summer). Everything leads up to higher prices. There are still deals to be found but of course, you have to look deeper.

Old 04-02-2012, 09:26 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
People lie, lie, lie and look you straight in the eye while they're doing it.
It doesn't hurt to remember that the rules for car buying/trading were borrowed from horse trading eons ago! Horse traders are notorious liars!!

Old 04-02-2012, 09:38 PM

76 posts, read 150,065 times
Like people said two reasons why used car market is so overpriced:
1. Cash for clunkers
2. People are holding on to their cars longer than before (I think 11 years is current average)

It's gotten so bad that most of the time between high prices, unknown reliability, repair costs, it's just not worth it anymore.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:44 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I think you're right, Cash for Clunkers killed off the market. The government wanted more fuel efficient vehicles, with black boxes that spy on us, driving around.
Paranoid much?

Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
I am glad you were able to find something that worked. I know a couple of years ago we went to an estate auction and they had an old car I would not given them more than $800.00 and it went for $1500 with more than a couple interested buyers. We have two vehicles, a 1995 Lincoln and a 1993 Ford Club Wagon and we have found the higher-end vehicles worth the repair costs versus the throw away cars. Used vehicles, quality, save you buckets of cash!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living