Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:16 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

Besides couponing, there are so many different ways to save money on your grocery bill -- if only you knew the ins and outs of your favorite store's policies and promotions. And how do you find that out?

Here:

10 Grocery Savings Tips From Store Managers | Bankrate.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 AM

817 posts, read 2,188,731 times
Thanks, elnina. There's some very handy tips in there! I'll have to dig out my Target bags now, I had no idea they offered a discount for them.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:24 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Good article!

I always shop at the regular grocery store early Monday morning. That's when they mark down all the meat that didn't sell over the weekend. I also got my year's supply of candy the day after Easter. I keep it all in the fridge so it stays fresh. I like the Easter candy the best because of the small sizes. I don't eat too much!

In Las Vegas, Fresh and Easy starts marking down at 6PM. So I always go as late in the day as possible to get the best deals. Sometimes I can get cream for 50 cents a quart! The local 99CentsOnly store has trucks Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Those are the best days to go when they have the most 'real food', meat, and produce.

A little information can save a lot of money and let you eat better!

Old 04-14-2012, 09:27 AM

23,597 posts, read 70,402,242 times
I HATE click to read a paragraph "articles." It used to be you could click on "print" to get it as a single page, but that didn't work for me here. None of the tips were things I didn't already know and some of them were obviously aimed at high-end shoppers just playing at "saving". Walk into Whole Foods and get a discount for bringing your own shopping bag? OMG! Think of the THOUSANDS of dollars I could save, while buying chicken at $10/lb...

Not even a passing mention to the great free market idea of finding the cheapest stores and shopping there first. <doh> Doing that one thing could save more than everything in that article combined.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:45 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Excellent article. Lots of great advice.

I didn't realize that Target "stacked" coupons, so you can use both a Target store coupon and manufacturers coupon together in a single purchase.

I usually throw away the Target coupons I get in the mail. I wont anymore.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:23 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Rite Aid (at least here) let's you use Rite Aid coupons in addition to manufacturer coupons, as do most, if not all, grocery stores.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:00 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Excellent article. Lots of great advice.

I didn't realize that Target "stacked" coupons, so you can use both a Target store coupon and manufacturers coupon together in a single purchase.

I usually throw away the Target coupons I get in the mail. I wont anymore.
You can also use your Target coupons at Walmart.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:34 PM

1,738 posts, read 767,960 times
This might be stuff you already know..but just wanted to share just in case. We all like to save money. :O)

At CVS if you have a CVS card..don't forget to swipe it every time you go in. Even if something prints the first time you swipe, swipe it again until you get a message saying next time or that's all, try back tomorrow. (can't remember right now exactly what the wording is..but you will understand when you see it) More coupons will print sometimes on the next swipe. So, it is good just to make a habit of swiping it until you get a message. Also, CVS has a Green Bag Tag promotion, you buy a tag that looks like a leaf. They are like .99 cents. Put it on a reusable bag and every time you buy something have them swipe the tag. You can only swipe the tag once a day to count. After 4 swipes you get a $1.00 extra buck. If you haven't signed up for a card and/or the beauty club, I encourage you to. They are free and you can earn extra care bucks.

If you use coupons, don't forget to print and keep a copy of the store's coupon policy. It is a good idea, never know when it might come in handy,

Also, at Walgreens (as longs as this lasts some other stores used to do this but have since stopped) but if you have a coupon for Buy 1 Get 1 - and they have a sale for that same product that is Buy 1 Get 1...Guess What? They are Free (besides tax). Here is what their coupon policy states on this -
Buy One, Get One Free Coupons

• When items are featured in a Buy One, Get One Free promotion, up to two coupons can be used against the items being purchased, as long as the net price does not go below zero for the items being purchased.
  • Sales tax must be paid for any Buy One, Get One Free coupon offers, if required by applicable state laws.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:24 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
I also only shop one time a month, except for milk or fresh veggies. Don't let food in your home go to waste. Eat it, or get rid of it. I don't have a lot of food stocked up. So, if I do see an item I will eat on sale, I do buy in bulk.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:17 PM

9 posts, read 8,791 times
Well I think knowing the lowest price a grocery item sold for is the best way to buy to stock up.

Like a Kelley Blue Book but for groceries!

Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living