U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,678,559 times
Default FIOS vs Cable

Any difference?

I've debated for MONTHS leaving my cable company for FIOS TV, but I don't know anything about it. Cable company commercials say some people have found FIOS isn't all it's promoted to be -- and been switching AWAY from FIOS TV back to cable...but that's a commercial.

Basically I hate change, and prefer the familiar -- and while the FIOS triple play is cheaper (and would save me at least 65.00 a month) I just can't pull the trigger yet and dump cable for FIOS. (My home phone and internet is already FIOS)

I guess saving 65 month at this point isn't enough for me to go through the perceived aggravation of returning cable boxes, having the FIOS people come, learning new channels new remotes, etc....BUT

your comments can help me decide. Anyone here switched from cable to FIOS TV, how is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-10-2012, 11:51 AM

18,903 posts, read 12,224,199 times
In most cases (especially if your cable company is Comcast or Cablevision), FIOS is downright a better product. The picture quality difference is easily noticeable.

Once the triple play promo expires, FIOS is more expensive. You get what you pay for.

I don't watch a lot of TV, so I stuck with Comcast, despite the low picture quality.

Unread 04-10-2012, 12:16 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,678,559 times
Quote:
Once the triple play promo expires, FIOS is more expensive. You get what you pay for.
I've heard some people switch back and forth after the discounts.

IF I switch -- I'd save about 70.00 a month for two years -- and let two years from now take care of itself.

It's just my personality to go back and forth on decisions like this -- which others just decide and move on.
I'd have to break the inertia/rut of my comfort level and familiarity with cable to switch....

I hate to say it but the 70.00 isn't make or break money for me so other than just wanting to SAVE that much on services, there's no real reason I HAVE to switch. WHich in my head makes it harder to decide.

The info I get here will help.
Thanks

Unread 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM

7,638 posts, read 8,097,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

I hate to say it but the 70.00 isn't make or break money for me so other than just wanting to SAVE that much on services, there's no real reason I HAVE to switch. WHich in my head makes it harder to decide.
I tend to look at it this way: Why do these companies play games with their pricing the way that they do? They can offer a special 3fer for $79/89/99, but they can't do any better than ~$165 for an existing customer? Screw em. Switch back and forth and play the game, if you have the option. FIOS unfortunately isn't available in my area. If it were, you better believe i would switch back and forth between them and Cablevision.

Unread 04-10-2012, 01:22 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,350,264 times
Currently have FiOS for both TV and Internet.. no issues per se. I had comcast in the past, and I think FiOS is better service wise as well as support wise. But I've been on FiOS for 8 years now so my data may be outdated.

The only thing I would put out there is that if you currently use your own router for ingress/egress and want to stay that way, you may have issues with the TV. the FiOS TV service is partially IP based (most of the menu driven stuff like onDemand videos etc.). And the STB's are on your network. This isn't impossible to configure with a non-Verizon provided router - but of course if anything goes wrong, it become a scapegoat for the cause. For this reason, I've stuck with the ActionTec router they provide. Albeit its actually a really good device (a good number of features).

Unread 04-11-2012, 07:30 AM

21,003 posts, read 24,889,263 times
I was not familiar with FIOS, so I googled it.

It sounds like fiber-optic line ran to your house.

Which I think should allow for a huge broadband data flow to your home.

My township does not have cable, nor do we have FIOS here.

Unread 04-11-2012, 09:56 AM

37,366 posts, read 31,711,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post

My township does not have cable, nor do we have FIOS here.
Those of us who do not live in country-club suburbs need to occasionally remind people how things work in the USA. A huge corporation with very rich stockholders develops a razzle-dazzle tool, and markets it in places where there is a visible concentration of high income potential customers. They install the system where they can get maximum subscriptions from minimum infrastructure, and bleed it dry. When they reach saturation, and it is no longer cost-effective to expand their service to places like Iowa, the next generation of technology comes along, and again, the wiring technicians and sales hawkers set to work in the privileged glamor markets.

Which is why about 3% of the American population doesn't even have cell phones signals yet. And why the USA has laughably slow internet speeds.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-11-2012 at 10:08 AM..

Unread 04-11-2012, 10:20 AM

21,003 posts, read 24,889,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Those of us who do not live in country-club suburbs need to occasionally remind people how things work in the USA. A huge corporation with very rich stockholders develops a razzle-dazzle tool, and markets it in places where there is a visible concentration of high income potential customers. They install the system where they can get maximum subscriptions from minimum infrastructure, and bleed it dry. When they reach saturation, and it is no longer cost-effective to expand their service to places like Iowa, the next generation of technology comes along, and again, the wiring technicians and sales hawkers set to work in the privileged glamor markets.

Which is why about 3% of the American population doesn't even have cell phones signals yet. And why the USA has the slowest internet speeds in the developed world.
Good point.

I live along side an interstate highway [although there are no on-ramps or off-ramps in my township], we get cellphone signal because of our close proximity to the highway. Otherwise we would not have any cellphone signal. Travel 10-miles in either direction away from the interstate, and there is no cellphone signal. Rural land simply does not have the population density to make it profitable to install cellphone towers.

We were fortunate to get DSL. A few years ago our tiny ma/pa landline company got a grant to up-grade their lines so they put in DSL coax. With homes a mile apart, there is no way to make that pay-off. So while many of our neighboring townships are on dial-up, we are very fortunate to have DSL. [of course instantly once they were done upgrading they were bought out by an unheard of multistate corporation]

Because of our close proximity to the highway, we can now get 3G/4G service as well. Though most of this state does not have any signal.

Unread 04-11-2012, 12:52 PM

8,961 posts, read 7,033,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Any difference?

I've debated for MONTHS leaving my cable company for FIOS TV, but I don't know anything about it. Cable company commercials say some people have found FIOS isn't all it's promoted to be -- and been switching AWAY from FIOS TV back to cable...but that's a commercial.

Basically I hate change, and prefer the familiar -- and while the FIOS triple play is cheaper (and would save me at least 65.00 a month) I just can't pull the trigger yet and dump cable for FIOS. (My home phone and internet is already FIOS)

I guess saving 65 month at this point isn't enough for me to go through the perceived aggravation of returning cable boxes, having the FIOS people come, learning new channels new remotes, etc....BUT

your comments can help me decide. Anyone here switched from cable to FIOS TV, how is it?
Since both your internet and phone are FIOS cable is the next logical step as long as the price stays low.

Unread 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM

1,014 posts, read 745,941 times
I dumped Comcast for FiOS a few years ago. It wasn't cheaper after I added channels, faster internet, etc ,but the quality is far better and the service is leaps and bounds over the BS that Comcast gave me. Picture quality is 100x better than comcrap, internet is stable and fast. Phone service is phone service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living