Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM

461 posts, read 911,517 times

Advertisements

I've been getting calls from energy suppliers that work with my electric company (JCPL). Does anyone know what the deal is with them?

The two that I have spoken with are Reliance (that offers a 10.98 cent per kilowatt hour) and Commerce Energy (that offers 8.75 cent per kilowatt hour). I can't find any useful reviews on these two companies and was wondering if anyone here has had any dealings with them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 06:12 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
You might have better luck getting answers if you post this question in your local city forum. Good Luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it should go in here or elsewhere. lol

Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Yeah, local might be better!
You probably don't want to hear that I paid 6.99 cents per kwh this month....

Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM

I usually don't pay attention at how much I am being charged per kilowatt hour... All I know is my electric bill is cheap (usually 60 to 100 a month in the summer with the central air on all day).

I'm curious because these people keep. calling. nonstop. I've even asked my phone company to put me on the do not call list.

Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
I usually don't pay attention at how much I am being charged per kilowatt hour... All I know is my electric bill is cheap (usually 60 to 100 a month in the summer with the central air on all day).

I'm curious because these people keep. calling. nonstop. I've even asked my phone company to put me on the do not call list.
I think the do not call list is with your state and federal, not your phone company.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:41 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
yea there are a few mlm schemes going around regarding energy/electric. this one called "ignite" tried to get my dad to buy into it .

Old 06-05-2012, 02:50 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
I've been getting calls from energy suppliers that work with my electric company (JCPL). Does anyone know what the deal is with them?

The two that I have spoken with are Reliance (that offers a 10.98 cent per kilowatt hour) and Commerce Energy (that offers 8.75 cent per kilowatt hour). I can't find any useful reviews on these two companies and was wondering if anyone here has had any dealings with them...

What you call "Reliance" is likely "Reliant" Energy. That might help you, regarding reviews, etc...

About 10 years ago, electricity got deregulated here in Texas. Prior to that, Reliant was THE energy provider for Houston, TX. Now in TX we all can choose. My state has a website that allows you to compare electric providers (Power to Choose) You might ask locally if there is a similar version.

FWIW, I find Reliant reputable. I worry about going with the "fly-by-nights" that I rarely hear about.

However, I have a rule that I never buy, etc... from a phone solicitation. I want to research it on my own and not be left to the whims of a telemarketer in a high pressured sales job.

Some things to consider is if an electric plan is variable or fixed rate, and if there is a monthly fee as well. Also if there is a contract, how long is it?

I was recently shopping for electricity providers now that my contract is up, and find 10c/kw to be pretty fair for my area.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:11 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,034,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
What you call "Reliance" is likely "Reliant" Energy. That might help you, regarding reviews, etc...

About 10 years ago, electricity got deregulated here in Texas. Prior to that, Reliant was THE energy provider for Houston, TX. Now in TX we all can choose. My state has a website that allows you to compare electric providers (Power to Choose) You might ask locally if there is a similar version.

FWIW, I find Reliant reputable. I worry about going with the "fly-by-nights" that I rarely hear about.

However, I have a rule that I never buy, etc... from a phone solicitation. I want to research it on my own and not be left to the whims of a telemarketer in a high pressured sales job.

Some things to consider is if an electric plan is variable or fixed rate, and if there is a monthly fee as well. Also if there is a contract, how long is it?

I was recently shopping for electricity providers now that my contract is up, and find 10c/kw to be pretty fair for my area.
What is the name of the company you went with? I need to reduce my electric bills so I'm very interested. Thanks.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM

967 posts, read 2,609,081 times
Right now I am sticking with Just Energy. Not "crazy" about them, but they matched at 10.5c kWh rate. And it's fixed for a year. I was curious when TXU started advertising "Free Nights and Weekends" which got me to think about switching, but they wanted over 12c kWh. In my area you could get at low at 8c kWh but I didn't want a variable plan or a "no-name" company. So I just signed on for another year of old and familiar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living