Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 10:08 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

I know people who dont have a pot to pee in and they are constantly on vacation! What the heck has gotton into people that every 6 months its a big vacation! I mean Venice? 2 times a year to Disney? Where the heck is the money coming from, and why do we need to go every 6 months? I mean I guess I am venting but I just see stupidity with this aspect of spending on vacations constantly. OHH maybe I need a vacation too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 10:16 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Credit Cards, Push the problem down the road, then default on it and/or Bankruptcy.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Why do you care?

Old 04-15-2012, 10:49 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Credit Cards, Push the problem down the road, then default on it and/or Bankruptcy.
You don't know that.
Some people place a high priority on vacations... to the point that other things don't matter as much.

I know a couple living in a very small house and driving old cars, so that they CAN see the world.
They are not in debt at all.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:56 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
There are some things that simply will not be as enjoyable to do when you're retired.
Manage the cash and debt (within reason) and enjoy yourself now.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

3,663 posts, read 8,665,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I know people who dont have a pot to pee in and they are constantly on vacation! What the heck has gotton into people that every 6 months its a big vacation! I mean Venice? 2 times a year to Disney? Where the heck is the money coming from, and why do we need to go every 6 months? I mean I guess I am venting but I just see stupidity with this aspect of spending on vacations constantly. OHH maybe I need a vacation too
They probably get deals, we vacation a few times a year, but I always find good deals and we never leave the continental US.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:31 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
That sounds like me.. I save up for a big overseas vacation every few years, but still pay bottom of the barrel prices for rent and car.. and still have plenty of money saved up.

Some of my friends say I'm similar to Europeans in this aspect.

I don't see anything wrong with what these people are doing as long as they still are living below their means even after splurging on a vacation.

A vacation or 3 to Europe or China sounds like a better use of my money than spending the same money on a new $25,000 car or paying an extra $500 a month in rent or mortgage.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:46 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
My sister knows a woman who works one day a week at a fine hotel chain. She gets a flat rate of 29 bucks a night at any hotel in their chains as a benefit.

Every 3 to 4 months she goes looking for a bargain way to get somewhere and SHE FINDS IT.

Like -- she and my sister and two other friends went to New York City for a long weekend, ate the free breakfast at the hotel, went to see a Broadway show with tickets she got cheap from the hotel concierge (Jersey Boys) ate a nice dinner at a great restaurant tied into the hotel so she got them a discount, went to a few museums (all discounted) and went up on the Mega Bus -- which she found $10 round trip tickets for them....

My sister had a four day vacation in a five star hotel in New York City for less than 100 bucks.

Now -- this is a woman who has made travel a priority in her life, and she loves it, and she doesn't like to spend money.... so she found a way to do it. She knows the ins and outs....

Old 04-15-2012, 02:36 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The big plus to putting a vacation on your credit card, come back, get fired from your job, no money, is that creditors can't reposses your memories!

And what are they going to do? Hawk all your postcards?

Buy a car, a plasma TV, yup, they can repossess that stuff!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:54 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
well some good answers! I am getting it. And someone asked why do I care? Because I am the jealous jerk NOT VACATIONING!! I am angry and disgrunteled!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living