Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

Have you ever seen somebody REFUSE to give a tip in a foreign country (e.g. Mexico, Egypt, etc.) where it is obviously expected? For example, I could not imagine stiffing the man who brought my luggage from the drive to my hotel room in Merida, as he probably does not make much from the hotel alone. Yet I could imagine a very miserly tourist, or one who is from a country that does not tip doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 06:26 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Surely you're aware that tipping is not the norm in all countries?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:33 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Surely you're aware that tipping is not the norm in all countries?
Didn't you read "where it is obviously expected"?

Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
I've never seen that, but I did go on a cruise once where the shuttle driver (airport to cruise port) wouldn't handle your luggage UNTIL you tipped them. You give a tip and they ask where your bag is. No tip means your bag sits there and either you lug it to the ship yourself, or if you are unaware of this, then it just stays there and you're in trouble when your luggage doesn't make it to the ship.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
It's not always obvious where it is expected.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:39 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Have you ever seen somebody REFUSE to give a tip in a foreign country (e.g. Mexico, Egypt, etc.) where it is obviously expected? For example, I could not imagine stiffing the man who brought my luggage from the drive to my hotel room in Merida, as he probably does not make much from the hotel alone. Yet I could imagine a very miserly tourist, or one who is from a country that does not tip doing so.
Sort of. Travelled once with a couple who were Japanese to Thailand (long story) Anyway - I thouht that they might have tipped a little better (?) than they did.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:00 AM

22,556 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Have you ever seen somebody REFUSE to give a tip in a foreign country (e.g. Mexico, Egypt, etc.) where it is obviously expected? .
Heck, I've seen that here in the USA. No need to travel to see cheapness!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
My biggest pet peeve is the guy who carries my little suitcase to my room and shows me how to use the TV remote control...it is a useless service that has no absolutely value. My suitcase has wheels and even a 4 yr old can roll it to my room and I certainly know how the TV remote works.

This has become so bad that at one place this guy insisted on pulling my suitcase from right outside the hotel room door to inside the room (1 step) and then wanted a tip.

I have no problem tipping for legitimate services.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
My wife goofed up one time in Mexico on our honeymoon. She tipped the guy that brought up our breakfast to the room and messed up on the exchange rate - she'd tipped him 7 pesos (around 70 cents at the time) instead of 70 pesos. I'd remembered seeing the guys face as he left and was trying to figure out why he looked freaked out, then caught sight of the reciept. Poor guy, he'd thought something was wrong and my wife wasn't telling him! I caught up to him and he was trying to figure out what the hell he'd done wrong, I fixed it quick though and told him what had happened. On the flipside, tipping well had its perks. We got flowers every morning on the breakfast table and damned quick service no matter where we went on the resort.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
What about bathroom attendants at bars and clubs in major cities? I usually do not tip those guys. I cant stand having a guy hand me a towel and squeeze the $1 soap pump for me. I tip them only when I take some gum/mints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living