Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:26 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gettingouttahere View Post

Print coupons from online sites such as coupons.com, smartsource, and redplum.
BEFORE you do go through all that trouble, make sure someone will take your online coupons.
NO ONE in my area does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 07:39 PM

455 posts, read 978,567 times
Here's a few sites that may help:
Community Supported Agriculture - LocalHarvest.

This was a bad week for coupon inserts and you must always check before purchasing that the inserts are present in the paper you are buying. The stupid TV show has lead many to steal inserts right out of the papers. Some papers only guarantee inserts to subscribers so you might want to check for a Sunday only subscription. Sunday Coupon Preview will advise you what inserts will be in each Sunday's papers.

Couponmom.com is the best site for beginning couponers. Her videos are on you tube also. After you pick up the basics, you can graduate on to Hotcouponworld.com (very friendly site) or Slickdeals.net (less friendly site but a lot sharper pros here).

Above all, it takes reading reading reading...study their techniques. You can do it, but you have to be willing to put out the effort. You might be better off finding a local coupon blogger and attending one of her classes.

Last edited by MrsTommy; 04-22-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I must say, at this point, I am largely still at a loss about couponing.
I went to the store today and got that fat Sunday paper hoping to find those three circulars couponmom.com is talking about.

There was nothing but tons of advertisements that tell you to go to the score bc x item is on sale (most I would not be interested in).
I was looking for MANUFACTURER'S COUPONS - I found none of those three circulars in there (Red Plum and the other two).
It was a waste of 3.99.
Always check the paper before you buy it. Sometimes people will buy one, but steal the circulars from several others.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
OK...then the coupon thing doesn't really seem all that appealing from what you are describing. I work full-time and don't have the time to clip tons of coupons; certainly not to go through recycling bins; neither would I want to buy 10 papers!!
Share with your neighbors and family members. After I cut my coupons out I give the flyers to a neighbor. He has a large family and has several neighbors giving him their flyers.

And as far as time goes find a nice friend. One of my friends was a working mother who was very pressed for time and used coupons. I knew which coupons she used and cut them out for her while I was cutting out mine.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:14 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Always check the paper before you buy it. Sometimes people will buy one, but steal the circulars from several others.
I couldn't agree more. I've actually seen people trying that.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:15 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Share with your neighbors and family members. After I cut my coupons out I give the flyers to a neighbor. He has a large family and has several neighbors giving him their flyers.

I do this too, for a coworker. I take what I need and then pass them on to him.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
On items that we are brand loyal to and buy frequently - I've had good luck calling the 800 # on the package and just asked fr them to mail coupons. These are generally higher value coupons to boot

Also - again - you can try visting their websites - many offer coupons if you're willing to share your email (I have a "coupons only account")

Old 04-23-2012, 12:45 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
On items that we are brand loyal to and buy frequently - I've had good luck calling the 800 # on the package and just asked fr them to mail coupons. These are generally higher value coupons to boot

Also - again - you can try visting their websites - many offer coupons if you're willing to share your email (I have a "coupons only account")
Those are two good points.

I just got two free Qs for that new "healthy" Oreo lookalike cookie, Who Nu?, just by e-mailing and praising it.

And set up junk e-mail accounts for all the online signups you end up having to do.

Coupons - I don't know what week you got that you were complaining about, but the only insert in yesterday's paper was Smartsource, as far as I'm aware (I got five different newspapers' inserts yesterday, and Smartsource was the only one)....

Next week -- and every turn-of-the-month - is better. P&G puts out an insert every month at that time. This upcoming P&G will have a BOGO Q for Pantene. Hang on to it (it'll be good through May) and wait for a good sale at the drugstores.

(Most of the rest of the P&G insert next weekend will be awful - you can blame that "Extreme Couponing" show for the miserly selection.)

There will also be a RedPlum.

I don't see many food Qs in either insert, though.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
BEFORE you do go through all that trouble, make sure someone will take your online coupons.
NO ONE in my area does.
What grocery chains do you have in SW PA? I'm in NEPA and ShopRite and Weis both take internet coupons, as long as they're from the reputable coupon printing sites and are not PDFs.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:38 PM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Giant Eagle and Shop 'n Save.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living