Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Unfortunately, I'm in Texas and doing without A/C is not an option. So far, from this thread I've gathered that Northern Wisconsin and Missouri are two places I'd like to move to. I'd LOVE to live somewhere that is not baking hot like Texas and the A/C is not heeded. Where else would be good?
Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I generally don't turn the AC on until it's unbearable.. unbearable for me is anything over 90 degrees. If it's not too hot, the AC isn't worth the discomfort (from the smells and dryness.)

I also rely on an evaporative cooler.. in California where it's not super humid, they're an option but I'm not sure about your area.
I also use an evap. cooler. It works really well here, with the exception of July-August when the Monsoons hit, but even then it's not bad. A couple of weeks ago I had to use it for a couple of days but generally just opening the windows and sliding glass doors works fine. I keep my house around 80 and people think I'm nuts but when coming in from 100+ outside it feels pretty good! The other day I checked my indoor thermometer and was surprised to see it at 90. It didn't feel that hot at all with everything open and nice breeze coming through. I do run my ceiling fans all summer too. Cheaper than AC, for sure! I think my little house is really well insulated too which helps.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:06 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Ok, so it's 87 degrees out right now. I work from home and try use the AC as little as possible because the whole point of my negotiating the ability to work from home was to save money. Inside temp is 81. I have not had the AC on today at all.
I'm in shorts, a tee shirt and have a fan going in my office. And yes I am bordering on uncomfortable.
Am I being overly "cheap" by not closing the windows and using the AC?
My wife thinks I'm bat-***** crazy. LOL
What does the frugal living community think???
I own an AC and AC in my car. I hate using it. I love the summer therefore I like to feel the heat. Plus, it messes with my contacts and throat.

Natural!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:19 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,843,220 times
When I am at home alone... I leave my AC off and turn on the ceiling fan because I am usually in one room throughout the entire time... When I have guests over, I put the AC on at 74 degrees 24/7... When my family is over, they can set whatever temperature they want...

Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,049,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
Unfortunately, I'm in Texas and doing without A/C is not an option. So far, from this thread I've gathered that Northern Wisconsin and Missouri are two places I'd like to move to. I'd LOVE to live somewhere that is not baking hot like Texas and the A/C is not heeded. Where else would be good?
I'm in a year-round resort town in Southern CA. The hottest month of the year is July, with 80° as average high. Last summer, it was 85° for three consecutive days and the old timers called it a heat wave. No one here has A/C in the house.

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM

22,821 posts, read 6,431,335 times
We live in a 1640 sq ft. ranch style in Colorado (low humidity) but I will not feel uncomfortable or
sick, summer or winter. We are 65 and the peke doesn't do well in heat or cold either. We'll cut back on a lot of things but will not put up what is for us uncomfortable heat/cold extemes.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,712 times
I turned the A/C on a few days after I responded to this thread...
temps were in the upper 80's with 90-100 % humidity...housemate
is even more of a grouch when the weather gets even slightly warm...
but I did program it for 76-78* so it won't be running continually.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
It has been decades since I slept for even one night in a room that was either heated or air conditioned. At bedtime, everything gets shut off and the windows opened. Canada and Northern Michigan in winter, heat off and windows open. South Texas in summer, AC off and windows open, but ceiling fan on.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 AM

261 posts, read 497,090 times
to the OP, from my short time in DFW during summer months I feel qualified to advise you to give in and turn the AC on. It's fruitless to try to skimp on the AC in TX. I'm not a fan of AC at all, but even I had to have it there

Seems like recent and seasonably early high temps there may be indicative of another record summer. It would be interesting for you to post regular updates on your endeavors to stay cool

Last edited by coldPlay; 05-01-2012 at 02:19 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 05-01-2012, 08:16 AM

719 posts, read 1,552,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldPlay View Post
to the OP, from my short time in DFW during summer months I feel qualified to advise you to give in and turn the AC on. It's fruitless to try to skimp on the AC in TX. I'm not a fan of AC at all, but even I had to have it there

Seems like recent and seasonably early high temps there may be indicative of another record summer. It would be interesting for you to post regular updates on your endeavors to stay cool
Hi ColdPlay,
I've been here for 12 summers, so I know that the AC will go on. I'm simply trying to minimize it while the temps aren't crazy yet.
Today for example: Forecasted high is 87. It's currently 73, relative humidity is 76%, a little overcast and windy- so AC is off, windows open and pretty comfortable - just a bit muggy.
I'll probably turn the AC on around 4pm before the rest of the family gets home.
This seems to be working pretty well while our highs are still 90 or under. Once it starts getting hotter, I will have to adjust accordingly.
As I stated earlier, one of the reasons I desired to work from home was to save money on commuting. So I don't want to just reallocate that savings to paying higher electric because I'm now here all day... I guess its a balancing act at this point. We shall see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living