Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:24 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,177,911 times

Advertisements

I have good luck with Craigslist. It is tax free and usually the sellers will take less than advertised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 02:14 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How do you get around paying taxes? Am I missing something?
When you buy something via mail order from a company in a different state and have it shipped to you via common carrier you aren't charged sales tax on the purchase. You are supposed to pay the sales tax on the purchase to your own state, but few people actually do that.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
When you buy something via mail order from a company in a different state and have it shipped to you via common carrier you aren't charged sales tax on the purchase. You are supposed to pay the sales tax on the purchase to your own state, but few people actually do that.

Not necessarily.

The key is whether the retailer has nexus (a tax presence in the state). For example, if you order from Lands End, you will be taxed if they have a store in your state.

On major purchases, I have seen people ship an item to an out of state relative and pick it up later. In most cases, it is not really worth it.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Not necessarily.
Yes, necessarily.
Quote:

The key is whether the retailer has nexus (a tax presence in the state). For example, if you order from Lands End, you will be taxed if they have a store in your state.
Not true. You owe taxes whether it has a presence in your state or not.
Quote:

On major purchases, I have seen people ship an item to an out of state relative and pick it up later. In most cases, it is not really worth it.
This is called tax evasion. It is illegal.

Here's an excerpt from the Chicago Tribune that explains it:

"Consumers who live in sales-tax states, such as Illinois, owe state sales tax on their Internet purchases, whether they pay it during virtual checkout or when they file their state income tax returns."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ebecca-madigan

This applies to all states that collect taxes for sale and use. I understand being frugal. But doing it through illegal and unethical means is wrong.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:36 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,942 times
Walmart.com works for me. 99 cent shipping on tons of items. You do have to pay taxes though.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:

This applies to all states that collect taxes for sale and use. I understand being frugal. But doing it through illegal and unethical means is wrong.

If you READ the post rather than react to it, the question was whether the retailer was required to collect the tax.

You are really too uptight about all of the rules and you will be the second CityData poster on my IGNORE list.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,710,907 times
Go to Market America

Old 08-17-2012, 03:32 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,258 times
I really like Barnes and Noble.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
I understand that Amazon isn't collecting taxes. But the OP states that his concern is that he will now be paying taxes on Amazon purchases. This implies that he is not paying sales taxes on Amazon purchases currently. That is evading taxes. Thus, according to the OP, he is evading taxes.
Right now he is not charged taxes because he does not have to pay taxes to an internet retailer than does not maintain a presence in his/her state. The OP is not doing anything wrong. Nobody has to pay sales tax to an internet retailer that does not have a presence in their state.

Once Amazon.com has a presence in the OP's state sales tax will be required, by law.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Right now he is not charged taxes because he does not have to pay taxes to an internet retailer than does not maintain a presence in his/her state. The OP is not doing anything wrong. Nobody has to pay sales tax to an internet retailer that does not have a presence in their state.
Wrong!
PA has a use tax, and I cannot imagine that we are the only one

Use Tax

In part:
"Out-of-state businesses and Internet vendors often falsely advertise that they sell taxable items “tax free”. However, Pennsylvania law requires the payment of use tax by any person who purchases taxable goods or services delivered into or used in Pennsylvania if sales tax is not collected by the vendor. Use tax is the counterpart of the state and local sales taxes.

When Pennsylvania sales tax is not charged by the seller on a taxable item or service delivered into or used in Pennsylvania, the consumer is required by law to report and remit use tax to the Department of Revenue. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living