Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:07 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,279,386 times

Advertisements

I've found skincare expert Paula Begoun's website called "Cosmetic's Cop" to be a valuable source of information on what products have in them and what value they have vs. price. I found the very reasonably priced Alpha Hydrox cleanser I now use through this site (not available everywhere, I buy it through drugstore.com). I've talked myself out of buying quite a few things after reading the analysis presented in CC. She also helped me understand the difference between glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide.

I've also been very happy with some of Target's Up & Up line that recreates more expensive products in a "generic" version. Living in Southern Arizona I use moisturizer by the gallon so I was pleased to find Up & Up Facial Moisturizing Lotion (oil free, SPF 15) that is virtually indistinguishable from a Neutrogena product that's more expensive (and still cheaper than most department store moisturizers). From the Sephora store, I've found the DDF (Doctor's Dermatological Formula) products to be worth the money. Expensive, but a little goes a very long way. I'd love to try products by Dr. Perricone or Dr. Denese (their science makes sense), but I don't have that kind of money.

Every dermatologist I've ever talked to says the same thing: exfoliate, moisturize, stay out of the sun, drink water, and DON'T SMOKE. Most also agree that eye serums (not creams) with antioxidants DO work to improve the appearance of the fragile skin around the eye.

Reviews of makeup, cosmetics and skincare products by Paula Begoun, The Cosmetics Cop
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:50 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,093,887 times
I won't jump on the "chemicals are bad/natural is good" bandwagon because so much of that is pure bs. People believe what they want so there is no use arguing about it though.

I don't use much but what I use is fairly inexpensive to downright cheap. No "high end" if I can find "low end" that has the same ingredients. The most expensive stuff I use is a moisturizer from Paula Begoun and a few hair products from Aveda, because they work and don't cause problems for me. They don't cost that much though and last a long time. That's the bottom line. I have spent a fair amount of money over the years to learn what works though, I'm not sure you can avoid that if you want to actually find something that does more than get you soap and water clean.

I won't raid my kitchen pantry for skin care. Been there/done that/doesn't do anything at all.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I've found skincare expert Paula Begoun's website called "Cosmetic's Cop" to be a valuable source of information on what products have in them and what value they have vs. price. I found the very reasonably priced Alpha Hydrox cleanser I now use through this site (not available everywhere, I buy it through drugstore.com). I've talked myself out of buying quite a few things after reading the analysis presented in CC. She also helped me understand the difference between glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide.

I've also been very happy with some of Target's Up & Up line that recreates more expensive products in a "generic" version. Living in Southern Arizona I use moisturizer by the gallon so I was pleased to find Up & Up Facial Moisturizing Lotion (oil free, SPF 15) that is virtually indistinguishable from a Neutrogena product that's more expensive (and still cheaper than most department store moisturizers). From the Sephora store, I've found the DDF (Doctor's Dermatological Formula) products to be worth the money. Expensive, but a little goes a very long way. I'd love to try products by Dr. Perricone or Dr. Denese (their science makes sense), but I don't have that kind of money.

Every dermatologist I've ever talked to says the same thing: exfoliate, moisturize, stay out of the sun, drink water, and DON'T SMOKE. Most also agree that eye serums (not creams) with antioxidants DO work to improve the appearance of the fragile skin around the eye.

Reviews of makeup, cosmetics and skincare products by Paula Begoun, The Cosmetics Cop
Great website. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:38 PM

349 posts, read 886,155 times
Default Hi all - a good topic

I am a makeup and skin-care obsessed person - always use face lotion with SPF and it helps.

Olay has the best reasonaly priced lotions, that do what they say.

That being said, makeupalleydotcom has reviews of all kinds of makeup and skin care and saved me tons on things I doubted.

I'll be in my skin until I die - I want it to be as good as it can, so I did find Olay to be the best. Regenerist, particularly.

I am a spender on these items, because I know how the pigment in many drugstore brands doesn't give the color shown; for eyeshadow and blush, I always go pricey - they last forever.

Eyeliner and mascara I go cheaper.

Bare Escentuals is my foundation; it has SPF and I like it.

I'm a makeup junkie, though...guess I'm not much help saving there, but I make up for it by getting other things cheaper (clothes, etc.).

Just wanted to pop in and share

Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,059,835 times
Thanks everyone some good stuff here.
Just the kind of review and first hand info I was hoping the thread would generate I hope more people weigh in.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:57 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirited1 View Post
I am a spender on these items, because I know how the pigment in many drugstore brands doesn't give the color shown; for eyeshadow and blush, I always go pricey - they last forever.

Eyeliner and mascara I go cheaper.
I KNOW!! What happened to eyeshadow and blush! I swore by drugstore brands forever, until last year, when I had to buy new blush. I've worn a tawny pink forever... but last year -- all the blushes were brown.

I thought it was because I live in a area that's not very white, and the makeup stock wasn't catering to me... but when I went to a drugstore in a predominantly white area -- same thing. If you could find blush, it was brown.... most drugstore lines went with "bronzer" which doesn't work for me because I am very pale, and cool toned, with a lot of pink in my skin. Using golden tones and browns looks awful.

I ended up with Nars blush in Amour -- their peachy pink that doesn't have gold flecks. And the first time I went to put it on, I loaded my brush up like I usually do and applied.... and looked like a clown. Apparently, the lack of pigment has been going on longer, because I was used to really loading up the brush and barely getting any color....

That blush will last forever.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:58 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,589,775 times
Forget the hype, your money where it's really going to be effective.

I've used cheap old Nozema for almost 40 years. Removes make-up, doesn't dry my skin.

If I really become concerned about wrinkles and sagging, I'll get a face lift - I KNOW that will work.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:40 AM

10,600 posts, read 12,059,835 times
Quote:
I've used cheap old Nozema for almost 40 years. Removes make-up, doesn't dry my skin.
I tried that years ago. And not evey product will work work everyone. It teft my skin very oily.

To me Noxema is an old-timers product. And I don't know your age (and I'm not asking). But given that MANY newer products have come on the market, does anyone under 50 even use Noxema anymore? I never see it advertised. I can't imagine how it's getting any new, younger generation users. I bet some never heard of it.

I see it kind of like Old Spice was until someone at the company got smart and went with new commercials aimed at a younger audience and potential buyer. I haven't heard hide-nor-hair about Noxema in YEARS, if not decades. Same for creams like Porcelana and Estoterica.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 PM

304 posts, read 615,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I won't jump on the "chemicals are bad/natural is good" bandwagon because so much of that is pure bs. People believe what they want so there is no use arguing about it though.

I don't use much but what I use is fairly inexpensive to downright cheap. No "high end" if I can find "low end" that has the same ingredients. The most expensive stuff I use is a moisturizer from Paula Begoun and a few hair products from Aveda, because they work and don't cause problems for me. They don't cost that much though and last a long time. That's the bottom line. I have spent a fair amount of money over the years to learn what works though, I'm not sure you can avoid that if you want to actually find something that does more than get you soap and water clean.

I won't raid my kitchen pantry for skin care. Been there/done that/doesn't do anything at all.
Your skin is the body's largest organ. How do you see the chemical bandwagon as "bs"?

Old 06-02-2012, 08:49 PM

181 posts, read 474,617 times
The most expensive product I have is Olay face wash. It's 8 dollars. I used to think that I always had to wash my face twice a day like the product says. Now I only do it at night with the Olay facial cleansing brush. My skin is sooooo much better and my product last twice as longer now that I'm washing only once a day. In the mornings I just use warm water and a towel. If I need an astrigent I put a little water and Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (3.00 dollars) on a cotton ball and wipe over my face. I just stopped messing with my face and stopped using so much stuff. Come to find out, our bodies are very smart and knows how to do things on its own. All we need to do is eat right and give it the nutrients it needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living