U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 04:01 PM

20,423 posts, read 36,064,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
You need to meet me in the middle somewhere. :-)

Just got new mattress + box springs two months ago... and they are perfect at ~31 inches high (on a frame).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM

42,665 posts, read 72,054,636 times
I stopped sleeping on a mattress a couple of years ago. I have carpeted floors, and I put a folded blanket down on the floor and sleep on that, it only needs to be big enough for hips and shoulders. My back has never felt better, I never get leg or foot cramps in the night anymore.

There is a proper way to get up from the floor. Roll over onto all fours, and then if necessary set a chair there to help you get your upper body up.

The frugal part, besides the mattress, is that I only need one bedsheet, queen size, folded over, so half under me and half over.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,323,437 times
We only had a mattress with the "free" metal frame it sat on for the first year or so we were married. Happy day when we finally got our bed (the headboard) and night stands with lamps No more pillows slipping between the matress and the wall or arguing about who had to get up and turn off the overhead light...

I sold cookies as a Girl Scout - back then (the 70's) it was considered safe for me to sell door to door . Taking orders for your kids at work was considered "cheating" - but nowdays , I dont' think many parents are willing to let their kids go out and sell on their own so they are left with taking orders at work and camping out in front of the grocery stores. I find both practices annoying but I get why they do it...

Old 05-09-2012, 02:29 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,555,683 times
Quote:
Had I had my way, I would sleep on the mattress without the frame. What do I need bed frame for?

I still refuse to buy a proper desk. I use a cheap and small kitchen table that is over 15 years old for my computers etc. It's perfect in size and height.

I haven't bought a new computer for 4 years, going on 5. I am an IT guy and I have 5 used ones in my lab with a total cost of ... $500 if that.

What's up with the baby shower, bridal shower, coworkers selling cookies at work. First of all, if you plan to get married or have baby, you need to make sure you have the means to support your marriage, especially the baby. Secondly, if your daughter or son is asked to sell cookies, let them do it.

Am I being too cheap?
The big question is what kind of car are you going to buy.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:51 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,833,075 times
your bed and mattress are relatively insignificant expenses in the long run. considering i spend 1/4-1/3 of my time in bed its not really worth it to me to skimp on something i'll be using for 10 years. i know a few people who sleep on just mattresses...all of them are single men lol. i LOVE my bed frame. i got one of those ones with drawers on the bottom for extra storage (and so the cats can't get underneath).

Old 05-09-2012, 03:02 PM

16,879 posts, read 8,806,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
The big question is what kind of car are you going to buy.
Not sure. Weighing between a Corvette or Porsche 911. :-)

Old 05-09-2012, 04:42 PM

11,491 posts, read 19,597,775 times
Quote:
Had I had my way, I would sleep on the mattress without the frame. What do I need bed frame for?

I still refuse to buy a proper desk. I use a cheap and small kitchen table that is over 15 years old for my computers etc. It's perfect in size and height.

I haven't bought a new computer for 4 years, going on 5. I am an IT guy and I have 5 used ones in my lab with a total cost of ... $500 if that.

What's up with the baby shower, bridal shower, coworkers selling cookies at work. First of all, if you plan to get married or have baby, you need to make sure you have the means to support your marriage, especially the baby. Secondly, if your daughter or son is asked to sell cookies, let them do it.

Am I being too cheap?
Not for you.... but for me? I don't spend $$$ on stuff, but I do like to have nice furniture. My surroundings are important to ME. We finally got rid of our old This End Up furniture, and replaced it with two lounge chairs. I really wanted something that support our aging hard working bodies.... and hubby HATES recliners.

This is what we ended up with.

Durapella - Cocoa Chaise

It works nicely. Not crazy about the microfiber upholstry, but we have them "covered" with my quilts, so you can't really see the fabric. My furball white cat has a towel I laid on top of my chair because I can brush her forever and get no hair off of her, but when she sleeps big hanks of hair come off....

Old 05-09-2012, 08:43 PM

866 posts, read 940,297 times
My cheap skate story:

Bed is homemade...built a platform out of 2x4's and plywood that sits 24" from the floor to the top
of the ply...Mattress is one from an extra wide roll-a-way and since my accident I have added a
3 1/2" foam pad that I used in the hospital...no head or foot board...there is a door screwed to the
window frame that acts as a headboard...Use unmatched but coordinating flat sheets to give
more combinations for bedding...I also built a step out of scrap lumber for me to get up into the
bed...that also was added after my accident...before that I could reach the bed with no problem...

I use the space underneath for storage...totes of yarn, totes with out-of season clothes, and
other miscellaneous items...I'm comfortable and not high maintenance. no one goes in there but me
so I don't have to impress anyone...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

9,439 posts, read 11,368,742 times
OP: A "baby shower" is more a well wishing for the new parents.

Just like when a couple is getting married, they are also showered with presents on their wedding day.

They don't get gifts because they are "struggling," they get them because their friends are wishing them well, with a nice start-off gift, such as a Wok or electronic item for the kitchen.

OP: Do you give a present for the new baby or the couple?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,875,067 times
To me a bed frame is an important piece of furniture. I never had to buy one, when I would buy a mattress and boxspring I would get them to throw it in for free. I do admit that I do not buy cheap mattresses though, a quality bed is important to me.

I use the space under my bed for storage. I have several of those air-tight plastic bins that slide under the bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or