U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2012, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
8,388 posts, read 9,260,227 times
Reputation: 10616

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Yea I find it distasteful. My wife's boss has "optional jeans friday". If you want to wear jeans you have to donate $5 every Friday to some charity.... that her boss is involved in. This is not a company policy, just a 'policy' in her group. Also, not a small firm, but a large accounting company. I told my wife that to me, that sounded unethical at best, perhaps illegal at worst, and potentially grounds for her boss to get fired. She's not willing to raise a stink. If it were me, I'd refuse the $5.
Where I work we also have optional jeans Fridays. We pay $1. We also have days that we can wear different colored shirts, also for $1. And when we are having a fund raiser we can wear both for $2. The money goes into a fund to help employees who need it, or to the charity we are supporting. We also have days where food is served in the break room...breakfast burritos and such...for $1...which also goes into the fund. I think $5 is a bit much but nobody minds paying $1. Oh yeah...I work for Walmart. I don't know if other stores do this or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2012, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Middle America
35,875 posts, read 39,969,437 times
Reputation: 48729
Many corporations support charities, and do the "pay to dress down on Fridays" optional activity, where the money donated in exchange for dressing down goes to a given charity. My SO's company, a multinational insurer, does the pay-to-wear-jeans-on-Fridays thing, and the money goes to March of Dimes.

I don't see the problem. If you don't want to donate to March of Dimes for whatever reason, you don't participate in the fundraiser. It's not like it's required, and you don't HAVE to wear jeans to work.

Showers - aren't meant to subsidize a low-income household's expenses. They're just parties, people bring gifts in celebration of major life events. Again, if you don't want to provide a gift, don't go to the party.

I also find a lifted bedframe to be critical. It provides valuable under-bed storage options...good use of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2012, 10:53 PM
 
Location: On the Ohio River in Western, KY
3,388 posts, read 5,592,849 times
Reputation: 3336
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Am I being too cheap?
For you, perhaps not; for me, yes it's a bit too far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
Yea I find it distasteful. My wife's boss has "optional jeans friday". If you want to wear jeans you have to donate $5 every Friday to some charity.... that her boss is involved in. This is not a company policy, just a 'policy' in her group. Also, not a small firm, but a large accounting company. I told my wife that to me, that sounded unethical at best, perhaps illegal at worst, and potentially grounds for her boss to get fired. She's not willing to raise a stink. If it were me, I'd refuse the $5.
It's NOT illegal nor unethical, nor any reason for her boss to be fired.

The donation is OPTIONAL for those that choose to break with the normal dress code, and the money goes to charity, big deal.

Refuse to donate, don't break dress code, it's really that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:50 AM
 
Location: In a state of denial
1,289 posts, read 2,603,294 times
Reputation: 942
I have no bed frame because using one makes the bed too high for my arthritic knees, not because I'm cheap. I am cheap, btw

I buy ONLY clothing that is $1.00 on Thursdays at the thrift store because I'm cheap.

I have two pairs of shoes because I'm cheap and don't want to step on scorpions. If we didn't have scorpions I'd only have one pair of shoes. A person only needs one pair. Plus, I'm cheap. Did I mention that?

I only bank where there are NO fees.

I have paid for cars that are in their teens.

I have no credit card debt.

I don't go out.

I don't drink soda.

I don't waste money on crap. I only buy what I "need" and it's usually from garage sales or on sale with coupons at the store.

I only have one TV with limited cable.

I don't have Netflix. If I do watch Hulu it's on the free channel.

I don't eat take out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
 
7,497 posts, read 9,400,185 times
Reputation: 7394
I like the idea of a day a week to pay to dress down. It's a good cause and one people would be likely to put their money toward. As long as the money is actually going to a good cause, then it's good for a community overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:12 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,727 posts, read 5,234,913 times
Reputation: 1968
Regarding selling stuff at work, I am thankful that it's not pushed. The parents leave the booklets in a designated area, and you choose to buy or not. No one pesters you. The only thing I ever bought was cookie dough, and every year I buy a couple boxes of Girl Scout cookies from one of the guys in my office. Well, from his daughter

Like a previous poster said, when I was a Girl Scount (in the 80's) we went door to door. Selling at work was a big no no and also considered cheating. I do get that it may not be as safe nowadays though.

Frugal/cheap:

Not so much my choice, but rather I had no other choice (well, to stay in an abusive marriage). Anyhow, when I finally scraped up enough to get this apartment, I had no money for any furniture. I was given a few things when my dad cleaned my grandparents house out, though. I slept on an air mattress that my aunt gave me, for a year. I had a 19" (or smaller?) TV (still have it, in the bedroom now) that I had on an end table also given to me by my aunt, and I had no couch or recliner so I sat in a kitchen chair to watch TV in the living room. It was a year before I could afford a cheap flimsy $80 mattress, which I put on the floor (I do have an actual bed now, and got a new mattress when I bought it), and it was 5 years before I could afford a discontinued model (read = cheap) couch and recliner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,568 posts, read 8,281,846 times
Reputation: 5867
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_steak View Post
I have no bed frame because using one makes the bed too high for my arthritic knees, not because I'm cheap. I am cheap, btw

I buy ONLY clothing that is $1.00 on Thursdays at the thrift store because I'm cheap.

I have two pairs of shoes because I'm cheap and don't want to step on scorpions. If we didn't have scorpions I'd only have one pair of shoes. A person only needs one pair. Plus, I'm cheap. Did I mention that?

I only bank where there are NO fees.

I have paid for cars that are in their teens.

I have no credit card debt.

I don't go out.

I don't drink soda.

I don't waste money on crap. I only buy what I "need" and it's usually from garage sales or on sale with coupons at the store.

I only have one TV with limited cable.

I don't have Netflix. If I do watch Hulu it's on the free channel.

I don't eat take out.
Do you live like this because you choose to, or because you have to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:16 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,568 posts, read 8,281,846 times
Reputation: 5867
I'm not cheap, but I do object to getting rid of anything before the end of its useful life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,727 posts, read 5,234,913 times
Reputation: 1968
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I'm not cheap, but I do object to getting rid of anything before the end of its useful life.
I'm like this too. Especially with things like toothpaste and shampoo. I find myself squeezing out evey last drop, even adding a bit of water to the shampoo bottle to get as much out as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 AM
 
Location: In a state of denial
1,289 posts, read 2,603,294 times
Reputation: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Do you live like this because you choose to, or because you have to?
I was brought up that way. It's the only way I've ever known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top