U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:06 PM

55,237 posts, read 72,392,137 times

Advertisements

every cash register i know has a tip jar next to it here.
if you serve me my meal ok, but go to the counter buy it and still tip??? hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 03:12 AM

1,256 posts, read 3,178,921 times
If people start tipping for take out and it becomes mainstream, I swear - I'm going to be so angry and I'm still going to be that jerk who doesn't tip for take out.

Old 06-06-2012, 05:09 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,581,237 times
Never have tipped for take out. never knew we were supposed to. Doubt I ever will either.

If it was a sit down meal at a restaurant or delivery that would be different, but take out where I'd have to go get the food doesn't get my tip.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:57 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,194,930 times
No. A server in a restaurant doesn't just work hard. He or she needs to know the menu, bringing you your food, hustle the kitchen, make sure the order is right and a host of other things to ensure you have a pleasant experience. And the nicer the restaurant, the more important the server is. Any idiot can bring you a couple of eggs over easy at Waffle House. It takes a real professional to suggest the proper wine at a white tablecloth restaurant.

I worked at a fast-food place and I worked as a waiter. No similarity between the two.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:07 PM

23 posts, read 36,434 times
If I'm just picking up a take-out order, I don't generally tip. I might leave the change, but never the normal 15-20%. If something is delivered, I'll generally tip the driver either 10-15% or $1 per item ordered.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:08 PM

22,668 posts, read 28,551,950 times
i dont do take out a lot, but when i do im not tipping anymore! you guys just saved me some money.

i wonder how this question would go over in another forum. ive seen plenty of people suggesting that you should tip the same as a waittress. i never agreed, but like i said, i dont like to punish the employee for my personal feelings so i give whats expected.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,954,291 times
I usually do a dollar or two for their effort in boxing up everything and getting my condiments or whatever.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM

1,948 posts, read 4,294,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I usually do a dollar or two for their effort in boxing up everything and getting my condiments or whatever.
I typically do the same thing. Alot of times I get take out I need to go up to the bar and pick it up, so they are generally on a subpar wage.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:47 AM

383 posts, read 514,855 times
Wow the things you learn. I tip just about everyone and their Brother. Usually 20 percent or more, depending on service. I have never even thought about tipping for take out. Who would have thunk?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:11 AM

3,910 posts, read 7,541,267 times
I've never tipped for take-out. To me this is the same as ordering from a fast food joint. Basically, you order, pay, and take the food. The overhead for the labor/raw ingredients are already included in the price of food. Tip is usually for additional services - which isn't rendered with takeout.

That said - I do tip when making the turn at the golf course. Which differs little from takeout - especially if you're just getting a pre-packaged snack or drink.

To me, I think tipping in the US is getting out of hand. Its becoming a way for the employers to avoid paying their staff adequately by guilting their customers through unnecessary services. We take golf trips annually for over a decade now. And recently, we've seen an increase in situations where you're presented with no less than 4 opportunities to tip... and this is just from the parking lot to the proshop. This is like arriving at a hotel and having a bell hop pull your bags out of the car, then have another bell hop bring the bags from the hotel entrance to the check-in counter, and then a 3rd bell hop will show you to your room, and a 4th will bring the bag to your room.... and each time you feel obligated to tip.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues tipping for good, helpful service. But its a different story when they do unnecessary things just to get a tip.... which to me is borderline extortion....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living