U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 AM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Except they are being compensated for the additional work. Handing over packaged food takes time -- time in which the employer is paying the employee for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychuck View Post
Let management pay that person; they usually make enough to pay a person handing out take-out a decent hourly wage.
That person is usually making the same wage they make waiting tables as they do for getting your order ready for takeout. A measly $2 something an hour.

Let's say a server spends an hour of their time over the course of their entire shift getting together various take out orders. Suppose nobody that picks up a takeout order tips that server.
If said server is good at his/her job and has made a decent amount off their tables, over and above the minimum wage requirement, then the restaurant isn't even required to add anything to what they've made for the night.
The server made nothing off the takeouts and in fact it dilutes the dollar average per hour they made from the tables.
This is one of the reasons servers are often asked to rotate doing take out orders, because doing it can really eat into your potential earnings for the shift.
Giving the server who fixes your take out order a dollar or two, or even just the loose change, helps make up the difference, and I certainly don't grudge them that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:59 AM

424 posts, read 635,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nychuck View Post
Order is often taken by hostess. You arrive and give hostess your name who then looks for a waitress who picks it up in the kitchen. She then takes your money and returns the change in tip convienient denominations.

I am not going to tip someone for walking into the kitchen and handing me an order. Let management pay that person; they usually make enough to pay a person handing out take-out a decent hourly wage.
Honestly, this is the way I feel about it. I actually worked as a server at a bar and grill type place in college. Depending on the time of day, either the hostess or the bartender took the order over the phone. Occasionally a server would be the one to run to the kitchen to pick it up. It really wasn't a big deal. I rarely got a tip and didn't expect one. It would take about three or four minutes of my time, and if we werent' swamped, it wasn't a big deal. And if we were swamped, the hostess or bartender would grab it, both who make more than the standard server minimum wage.

That said, more restaurants are setting up these "To go" areas with dedicated staffers. I don't know if those people are servers making a server wages who are stuck there all night. I actually try to avoid going places like that because I never know what to do. LOL

Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,820,009 times
In the last few years, I have started tipping either change (when I pay cash for a small item(s) and the change is worth leaving in the jar) and more often just a dollar when I pick up Chinese takeout, pizza, etc. since I now usually use a credit card. For whatever it is worth, I see how hard these people work and and I know it isn't because they want to be there. To me a buck more isn't much, and I think that the volume they get helps to make it a reasonable amount. (I suspect some places may even split the tips as the greeter rotates and also the cooks are right there). Call me a softy...

I also now tip hoagie/sandwich shops I regularly patronize similarly for the same reason....and sometimes the local dairy/ice cream counters.

I also toss loose change in a legitimate 'charity' jars if the amount isn't big enough for the waiter. (Or sometimes...my favorite...is when they have a box of (Gertrude Hawk's) $1.00 chocolate bars for sale for a local charity on the counter )

Old 06-08-2012, 10:07 AM

14,648 posts, read 29,685,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
In the last few years, I have started tipping either change (when I pay cash for a small item(s) and the change is worth leaving in the jar) and more often just a dollar when I pick up Chinese takeout, pizza, etc. since I now usually use a credit card. For whatever it is worth, I see how hard these people work and and I know it isn't because they want to be there. To me a buck more isn't much, and I think that the volume they get helps to make it a reasonable amount. (I suspect some places may even split the tips as the greeter rotates and also the cooks are right there). Call me a softy...

I also now tip hoagie/sandwich shops I regularly patronize similarly for the same reason....and sometimes the local dairy/ice cream counters.

I also toss loose change in a legitimate 'charity' jars if the amount isn't big enough for the waiter. (Or sometimes...my favorite...is when they have a box of (Gertrude Hawk's) $1.00 chocolate bars for sale for a local charity on the counter )
I do the same thing. Reps to you.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM

809 posts, read 1,270,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
I've never tipped for take-out. To me this is the same as ordering from a fast food joint. Basically, you order, pay, and take the food. The overhead for the labor/raw ingredients are already included in the price of food. Tip is usually for additional services - which isn't rendered with takeout.

That said - I do tip when making the turn at the golf course. Which differs little from takeout - especially if you're just getting a pre-packaged snack or drink.

To me, I think tipping in the US is getting out of hand. Its becoming a way for the employers to avoid paying their staff adequately by guilting their customers through unnecessary services. We take golf trips annually for over a decade now. And recently, we've seen an increase in situations where you're presented with no less than 4 opportunities to tip... and this is just from the parking lot to the proshop. This is like arriving at a hotel and having a bell hop pull your bags out of the car, then have another bell hop bring the bags from the hotel entrance to the check-in counter, and then a 3rd bell hop will show you to your room, and a 4th will bring the bag to your room.... and each time you feel obligated to tip.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issues tipping for good, helpful service. But its a different story when they do unnecessary things just to get a tip.... which to me is borderline extortion....
I agree. I feel that tipping is out of hand. I don't tip for take out or at a coffee shop or at a fast food joint. I also don't agree to tipping in other situations, like I am getting a box picked up at home for shipping or if I contract some people to help me move. I'm already paying their price, why should I tip them? Same with hairdressers, nail persons and such. (I know many won't agree, but at this rate, everything is going to require a tip).

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,518,839 times
I don't get take-out often, hardly ever. However, once in a while, I'll get something and give $5.00.

I make frequent stops at Dunkin Donuts for coffee, and I always leave the change in the tip cup that's by the register ...

If the server is rude, I stiff them.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:06 PM

929 posts, read 1,823,445 times
Tipping is a personal decision. If the service warrants a tip, I tip. How much depends on the quality of service, friendliness, and how helpful the individual was who took my order. These type of jobs do not pay much, if I see a individual who understands customer service, another words... They get it, then I am more than happy to tip. I am also very willing to compliment them and let the owner or manager know how much I appreciated their fantastic service. If they come up to me like they wished that I just went away, they won't get a dime and I may just go away without ordering. I'll let the owner or manager know about this as well. Unfortunately... This is the freaking norm.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:58 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,185,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
When you order from takeout, someone has to take your order, put the order in, pick up the order when it is done and box the food for you, and then collect your money. It's not like they do nothing. The servers at some restaurants rotate working takeout, or sometimes the hostess has to seat people as well as do takeout.

Not always true. One place I get takeout from sometimes, the takeout person only takes the order and rings you up. They don't box up the food or anything else.

That's like tipping a cashier in retail IMO - all they are doing is ringing you up, and actually also bagging your items.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:24 PM

4,108 posts, read 4,540,526 times
I've always wondered why they have a tip line on take out at Domino's. I usually don't put anything. Why would I tip to pick up an order? Shouldn't that be included in the money I've paid for the food?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:32 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,096,358 times
I don't usually do Take-Out - but I did last night and thought it right to give about 12% - when at sit down, if service is great I do 20% -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living