U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 10:59 AM

22,218 posts, read 5,499,499 times

Advertisements

When I visit America and talk to older people, they tell me when they were young, tipping wait staff was 10%, then it went to 15%, now some talk of 20%. The cost of the food has gone up like everything else, so the amount tipped also. So, of way back then it was 10% of say $5, now it would be 10% of say $50. So why has the actual percentage gone up so much? Just askin.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 06:20 PM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When I visit America and talk to older people, they tell me when they were young, tipping wait staff was 10%, then it went to 15%, now some talk of 20%. The cost of the food has gone up like everything else, so the amount tipped also. So, of way back then it was 10% of say $5, now it would be 10% of say $50. So why has the actual percentage gone up so much? Just askin.....
I don't know the answer to why the percentage is moving up... but the cost of food is EXTREMELY cheap in the US so that is not much of an impact.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:49 AM

948 posts, read 2,266,537 times
I've worked in many restaurants and I do not expect any tip for take out. I occasionally get one though. I suggest a variety of condiments, maybe adding some wine beer or desert after the fact of the original order, get them some water if they are early to pick up, give them a new take out menu, if possible open the door when they come and go - a little chit chat and additional courtesies can go a long way. If they tip me great, if not, I have ZERO hard feelings - regulars may tip every other time too. Heck sometimes I do the take out to save myself the 20% tip, but if the host/cashier is "top notch" I will toss in an extra buck or two.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:42 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,234,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
If the server is rude, I stiff them.
That is just ignorant and unproductive.

If you have a major problem with your service, you should bring it to the attention of the manager.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:46 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
I don't get take-out often, hardly ever. However, once in a while, I'll get something and give $5.00.

I make frequent stops at Dunkin Donuts for coffee, and I always leave the change in the tip cup that's by the register ...

If the server is rude, I stiff them.
The Dunkin Donuts that I used to frequent when I lived in the NY area only ever had a tip jar around Xmas. I would usually put $20 or $30 then to say thank you for the year.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
How do the rest of you tip when ordering take out? Skip it? Tip the full amount? Half amount?
It depends. While I tip very well for appropriate service when dining out, I tip much less for delivery or take-out. Having someone essentially just hand you your order does not require anywhere near the level of service provided by a waiter or waitress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I usually do a dollar or two for their effort in boxing up everything and getting my condiments or whatever.

Same here. For take out, I generally toss a buck or so in the tip jar if there was actually effort involved - i.e., someone cooked my pizza or had to make a complicated coffee drink (the latter is something I pick up for someone else; I just like plain ol' black coffee). On the other hand, if all they are doing is basically handing me something, I don't see a need.

A coffee house would be a good example. If I am ordering a latte or whatever for someone, the person behind the counter had to make it, so I'll toss something in the tip jar for their efforts. If all they are doing is pouring coffee into a cup and handing it to me, then I see no reason to tip for that.

Once in a while I stop into Moe's and grab something. The kid behind the counter making minimum wage takes a few minutes assembling my burritos and the rest of my order, I have no problem dropping a buck or two in the tip jar for their efforts. Its only dollar or two, and it probably means a lot more to them than it does to me.

Last edited by Tober138; 06-22-2012 at 01:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Not always true. One place I get takeout from sometimes, the takeout person only takes the order and rings you up. They don't box up the food or anything else.

That's like tipping a cashier in retail IMO - all they are doing is ringing you up, and actually also bagging your items.
I would guess that, frequently, the tip jar gets divided up among the staff involved. I doubt that the tip is going straight to the cashier.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:18 AM

26,484 posts, read 24,217,574 times
I avoid restaurants where the employees expect tips. If tipping is "mandatory", then it's not a tip at all. They should just include it in the bill.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,070 times
Tipping on take-out depends on the type of restaurant, type of meal ordered (burger/sandwich or full dinner including salad etc.)and time of day (lunch vs. dinner). If the take out is simply a burger/sandwich then a minimal tip would be appropriate because there is very little involved in preparing that type of order. On the other hand, take-out for a Steak dinner, pasta dishes, etc., require considerably more time and effort to put together. As a matter of fact, preparation for a take-out order of that nature can take as much time or more than if the customer dined in. Dinners typically will have to have sides such as butter, sour cream, chives, dipping sauces, salad dressings, etc., each of the sides should be in separate a separate container, breads should be wrapped in foil, I think you get the point. A casual to fine dining restaurant will not have these things pre-made because everything should be as fresh as possible. Therefore, as a customer, you should consider what has gone in to preparing your take-out meal... often times it is much, much more than simply putting a few boxes in a bag and punching a couple buttons on a register.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 AM

874 posts, read 967,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Take Out, I don't tip. If your think about it, a mid range restaurant has the dinning room overhead cost built into the prices. Since take out does not use any dinning room overhead the owner is already making extra on it. The 'servers' what are they doing? Hitting a few button on the order system when your order, handing you the other for the take out. Don't tip for that.

One thing I do 'tip' at my local waffle house when I get breakfast. They work in a 10% on all take-out to start with, and I round up (give them) any change I get as there 'extra' tip. But I'm a regular there, and my extra 'tip' get me in/out faster then others who just walk in. ( I call in my order).
I'm pretty sure you get in/out faster because you call in your order ahead of time, not because you tip a few extra cents. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living