U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 11:47 AM

2,461 posts, read 1,200,617 times

Advertisements

tipping?!

I started this thread two years ago. It is interesting in some of the comments on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 06:19 PM

9,340 posts, read 8,732,469 times
On a Leave It to Beaver episode the Beaver used a cab and after he paid the fare the driver just stared at him. Beaver asked about it and the driver said that people usually tip the driver. Beaver, in all honesty, asked, "Don't they pay you mister?"

I tip servers and also food delivery drivers - waiting tables is a very hard job, and when a pizza delivery driver brings my pizza on the run during snowy weather he/she definitely deserves a tip!

But here are interesting articles debating tipping:

https://www.nyunews.com/2018/02/19/2-20-ops-razuri/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2.../#6f128e0913d1

Old 10-05-2018, 05:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,276,352 times
It's the world we live in. Everyone has their hand out. It's not just tipping for take-out food. The grocery store wants me to make a donation to their favorite charity--my money, their tax write off. Even PetSmart wants a little more money to feed stray dogs. If I want to make a contribution to a charity, I know how to do it. Just like I know how to tip (if I want) without it being pointed out that someone expects it.

Old 10-05-2018, 10:21 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,809,321 times
There's a restaurant chain around here called Highway 55 (used to be called Andy's). It's a casual, retro-style burger joint...you can eat in or take out. Anyway, when I got take out from there a few weeks ago, I paid with my debit card. It pops up on the screen "Tip" and you can choose 30%, 25%, 20% or "other."

The young lady who was ringing me up was watching over me the whole time and kinda snickered when I hit "other." I typed in "$2.00" as the amount, and she snorted. She was very clearly not impressed.

Neither was I. Next time I get take out there, it'll probably be $0.

On the other hand, there's a casual pizza place near me where you buy huge slices of pizza by the slice. You can get takeout or delivery, or you can dine in, but it's fast food-style service, not table service. Their credit card machine has a similar thing, but last time we went there (and we were dining in, so they did actually have to clean our table, at least), the guy skipped past the "tip" part on his own and put $0. I was impressed. I'd probably leave him a tip next time.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:22 PM

173 posts, read 50,433 times
Nope. Never have and never will.

Old 10-14-2018, 10:30 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,545 posts, read 14,037,847 times
The concept of tipping when I pick up a take-out order is alien to me. I can't even wrap my mind around that.

If the take-out was delivered, then IMO it would be rude to not tip the driver unless there is a problem with your order.

I always give 20% tip for eat-in table service unless there was some problem with the waitperson's performance. If the kitchen screwed up my order I do not blame the waitperson, and leave the same tip.

However, last time that the service was horrible (it was at Chili's) it was the restaurant's fault. I asked to speak with the manager and discussed the problem with him. He agreed, apologized, comped dinner for me and my date, and even gave me $20 in gift cards. I still left a 20% cash tip for the waitress on the full amount we would have paid. The problem wasn't her fault.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 AM

696 posts, read 1,203,612 times
I tip up to $2 for delivery unless it's a large order(over $20) and everything was what it's supposed to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living