U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 08:59 AM

6,716 posts, read 11,162,972 times

Advertisements

When I was in college, I never tipped when I ordered take out from restaurants until I was told that the restaurants rely on tips to make money. So I started giving a 10% tip, lower than my 15-20% tip for dining in.

How do the rest of you tip when ordering take out? Skip it? Tip the full amount? Half amount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:03 AM

3,672 posts, read 5,778,802 times
i rarely get take out, but usually 2-3 bucks. they're not giving you a full service experience so i think the normal 15-20% is too high.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:06 AM

3,018 posts, read 5,089,306 times
I usually dont either. I never knew anybody relied on tip money from take out. If the person was incredibly nice and the order was hot and fresh I would give a couple of bucks as a good gesture. But more often I dont give anything. Am I wrong for that?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:08 AM

9,002 posts, read 16,118,243 times
Take Out, I don't tip. If your think about it, a mid range restaurant has the dinning room overhead cost built into the prices. Since take out does not use any dinning room overhead the owner is already making extra on it. The 'servers' what are they doing? Hitting a few button on the order system when your order, handing you the other for the take out. Don't tip for that.

One thing I do 'tip' at my local waffle house when I get breakfast. They work in a 10% on all take-out to start with, and I round up (give them) any change I get as there 'extra' tip. But I'm a regular there, and my extra 'tip' get me in/out faster then others who just walk in. ( I call in my order).

Old 06-04-2012, 09:11 AM

24,511 posts, read 34,115,918 times
There's no hard fast rule regarding tipping. If restaurant employees got no tips, it would often have an impact on the restaurant's bottom line since the restaurant has to fork up the difference between the tipped wage (as low as $2.13/hr) and minimum wage ($7.xx). However, given the amount of business most restaurants have, I'd imagined this is hardly an issue.

I typically drop in 20% just because I feel a little confidence boost for the employee can actually improve the quality of service going forward. It doesn't matter whether it's takeout or dine-in to me. However, if I were a college student or struggling with cashflow, I'd certainly tip only what I can afford or even nothing if I was that low on cash.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:34 AM

6,014 posts, read 6,515,432 times
-- If I go to a brick and mortar restaurant and order take out from the bar or at reception -- I do not tip at all. They took and order, brought me my food, I left. I'm not tipping for that. Maybe I'll round up to the next dollar and not wait for change -- IF I'm paying cash.

-- If I order take-out delivered I tip the the delivery person -- 10-15 percent.
-- If I sit-down eat in the restaurant and am served by wait-staff I tip 15-20 percent.

(I DO however tip all kinds of other people, in other situations when that might not even be necessary, like handymen. At car washes and for parking valets I tip $2.00-5.00. Hotel maids 10.00.)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:11 PM

721 posts, read 2,578,469 times
if someone is really pleasant, gives me all condiments i need etc i may tip but generally dont make a practice of it. i dont know why certain jobs get a tip and others dont not talking waiters i always tip them but how come a starbucks person gets a tip but not the guy who gets me my coffee at dunkin donuts or how come the girl at applebees gets a tip for takeout but not the guy who does the same thing for me at steak n shake.

waiters need to make tips they make like $3.10 an hour because they get tips, hostess girls or whoever is doing takeout probably makes more like $8-$10 an hour so i dont feel obligated to give a tip unless i feel they went above and beyond

i should add i always tip at least 20% haircut, restaurant, etc and sometiomes as much as 50% so im not cheap just dont feel someone who pakced a bag with my takeout automatically deserves a tip

Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM

22,668 posts, read 28,551,950 times
i dont like the idea of tipping on take out, but i generally try to tip whats expected and not punish the service provider for my feelings. ive heard people suggest the full range from nothing to same as table service. i dont do much takeout, but when i do its usually the same place and its the kind where they bring it to your car. so i generally give 10%. if i go in, it will probably be a bit lower depending on how small the food bill is.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:54 PM

3,672 posts, read 5,778,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i rarely get take out, but usually 2-3 bucks. they're not giving you a full service experience so i think the normal 15-20% is too high.
its too late to edit but i wanted to add that i would tip more if it was somewhere that i frequent (or plan to frequent) so i can assure good service in the future. so maybe $5. and i would tip lower or not at all if the take out person was rude or something.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:58 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
Never even crossed my mind. To me it would be the same as tipping at McDonalds and I'm not about to start doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living