Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:28 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times

Advertisements

10 Things I Just Won

What are some things you won't do to save money?

Some of mine:

- I won't clip coupons.

- I won't cut health insurance.

- I won't hypermille (drive in very unorothodoxed and potentially dangerous ways to save a few MPG.)

- I won't go out of my way to drive to a gas station that 10 cents cheaper.

- I won't cut Internet access (I rely on the Internet to keep informed of deals and to communicate. Internet access also enables me to not have to pay so much for phone service.)

- I won't share a room with someone else (I'm ok with sharing an apartment or house as long as I have my own room.)

- I won't reuse zip locks, trash bags, aluminum foil, saran wrap, etc.

- I won't buy lottery tickets (I'd rather invest sensibly.)

- I won't refuse to turn on the fan (I can understand not turning on the AC, but not turning on the fan when it's 90+ to save a few cents is overboard.)

- I won't get rid of my car and use public transportation (my old paid-off fuel efficient car is cheaper to drive than paying $1.50 every time to ride the bus.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 01:14 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
1. Won't get a roommate to share the housing costs.
2. Won't get rid of the car and soley use public transportation.
3. Won't skimp on car insurance coverage (I'm properly insured, liability wise).
4. Won't go w/ budget dentists/doctors - you get what you pay for.
5. Won't live without internet access.
6. Won't live without basic cable.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:42 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,550 times
People steal toilet paper from work?!!? Wow.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:02 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I do some of the stuff on this list, but not to save money.

1. I DO get extra sauce packets at fast food restaurants...there is nothing more annoying than getting my about once a month chicken nuggets and getting home without the requested dipping sauce. So, I do have a few of those in the house.

2. I do refuse to tip if I have to complain to the manager during the meal. The last one was after requesting a drink (water) 3 times, waiting 20 minutes, and getting my food but still no beverage. The kicker was that the waiter I had asked for the water, 2 times at the point the food arrived, was the one who brought the food. I asked a 3rd time, the waiter looked at me like I was asking for the first time. But I am in CA, and while I am sure I will be abused for this, the person DOES make minimum wage here by law. Granted, not tipping does require service as bad as I have described, so I have only done it a couple of times.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:45 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,385,776 times
I've learned to do a lot of car maintenence/repair over the years and am glad I have that knowledge, but still have things done by my trusted mechanic. I could spend half or more of a Saturday doing the fix or just work 3 hours overtime and have enough to pay the man to do it. As far as oil changes, I like to do myself since it only takes me 30 minutes.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:15 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
I won't live in a stifling hot house to save on AC expense, won't live without internet, or access to at least network television even if it means getting basic cable.
I won't ...

Gee, I am not sure what I won't do to save money. I sure wouldn't not use the fan to save money. What is that 28 cents?!
I won't reuse saran wrap or aluminum foil generally but I will reuse a zip loc bag on occasion if it was holding dry goods.

But those aren't necessarily to save money, they are really more to save resources.

Oh, I thought of a good one. I WON'T GO WITHOUT THE DVR TO SAVE MONEY.

I will go without a lot of other things in order to save money to pay for that DVR, but I do not want to watch commercials!!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 AM

1,289 posts, read 3,035,849 times
I won't live in a stifling hot house to save on AC expense

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,878 times
1. I won't skimp on my pets food, I've found the better quality food means lower vet bills.

2. I won't be uncomfortable in my own house, temperature wise.

3. I won't give up my car, not really feasible anyway with commute, and shoddy public transportation options.

4. I won't skimp on maintaince for my vehicle, again with driving 65 miles one way to work everyday, won't take the chance of it breaking down.

5. I won't but canned fruits or vegetables, I can't stand the tinny taste of them, although beans for chili are an exception since those simmer for over 12 hours and I can't taste the tinny aftertaste.

6. I won't be without internet or TV, since we don't have money for going out, I need something to break up the boredom, and most of my college classes require the internet for assignments and such.

7. I won't skimp on car insurance, again with length of commute we need the good coverage, I pay for full, just because if something does happen accident wise we need the payoff to get another vehicle.

8. I won't buy undergarments, socks, or shoes that are used

9. I won't skimp on our food, I have a soy allergy so this is more self preservation than to save money.

10. I won't reuse saran wrap, aluminium foil, or plastic baggies (unless it held a dry good).

Old 06-13-2012, 11:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I absolutely won't skimp on a/c in warm weather, or heat in colder months. I grew up with no a/c in the house, and a parent who disallowed turning up the heat anymore than necessary to keep pipes from freezing, and it's just not something I'm willing to go cut-rate on.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
I wont go to second hand shops
I wont go hot or cold - I run the a/c
I wont buy cheap toilet paper, soap or laundry powder
I wont cash in my bottles
I wont go without using any appliances I want
I wont go without little luxuries like makup, perfume, jewellery
I wont eat crap food
I wont drink cheap booze
I wont sit at home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living